Movie Genre - Top Ten Australian Movies

Great list.

It’s a shame one has to put the late great Paul Cox in brackets. He is a national treasure and our greatest filmmaker.

1 Like

Interesting. Who is your cousin?

Mary and max was beautiful

3 Likes

100% you wouldn’t know his name but I daresay you’ve seen him in stuff.

1 Like

Chopper
Two Hands
Idiot Box
Black Rock
Malcolm
Gallipoli

3 Likes

Black Rock was Heath Ledgers first big screen role I believe.

Very minor role though.

1 Like

Look Both Ways is an interesting one. It came out at the same time as Little Fish (Cate Blanchett and Hugo Weaving, and Sam Neill in a smaller but very important part). Look Both Ways won all the awards, but I always thought Little Fish was the better film. It was also one of the few films to feature a disabled actor (Martin Henderson, who only has one leg). The acting by all of them is outstanding, it’s very neatly plotted and there’s a very tense resolution.

2 Likes

I quite like Little Fish. It has one of the great musical moments in film with a perfect reworking of Cold Chisel’s Flame Trees.

But I don’t have it anywhere near Look Both Ways, which I rate as an utter masterpiece (and in my view as good a film ever directed by a woman). Its narrative style, use of art and thought provoking existential themes are so perfectly captured. It’s a really beautiful film in every way.

Amazingly it was Sarah Watt’s debut. She was diagnosed with cancer during post production and made a fine film about her treatment experience entitled My Life Without Sex.

She died shortly after. Two films. What a waste of talent.

BTW, have we had a top 10 films by a female director yet?

2 Likes

Picnic at Hanging Rock
Kenny
Looking for Alibrandi
Dangerclose - Battle of Long Tan
Sweet country

Yeah, the kid from Cheese TV had a bigger role haha

No love for My Brilliant Career?

3 Likes

Does Happy Feet count?
Absolute corker of a movie

1 Like

I was thinking of it, but I haven’t seen it since it was released. I remember one scene, but not much else. It was the first “big” movie (big for Australia, minuscule for the rest of the world) for Sam Neill and Judy Davis.

Let’s get real, Australia hasn’t made 10 good films.

1 Like

Films made in Australia or Australian movies?

I’ll give it a shot in no particular order

Crocodile Dundee
Australian Rules
Pitch Black
Romper Stomper
Cosi
Nugget
The Hard Word
Malcolm
The Big Steal
Charlie n Boots

Breaker Morant or watching Paint Dry :thinking:. Except for the Alf Stewart moments, Paint gets the nod.

I disagree. I’m very proud of our movies. And our directors, cinematographers and technicians are world class.

4 Likes

That’s fine, it’s just my opinion.

All the movies that I have seen listed are just average at best. None make my top 100 movies.

Have you seen the movie The School?

Gallipoli would easily make mine.