Movie Genre - Top Ten Crime Films

1 Like

Good list, Se7en & untouchables are all time faves. I haven’t seen Prisoners though and have no idea why not. It’s like it slipped through the radar for me (probably released around the time our youngest was born). I will download tonight.

I thought this was a comedy.

2 Likes

Isn’t that the film starring Angela White?

All I remember is Denzel getting his sexy on with Angelina Jolie, with the one finger he can move(quadriplegic). One of the most hilarious but unintentional scenes of all time.

1 Like

Agreed. Supremely overrated movie save for a couple of cool scenes here and there.

Se7en at least had a happy ending with Gwyneth Paltrow getting her head cut off, but apart from that, I hated the film. Just gratuitous violence.

2 Likes
  1   #*13 Tzameti*

The film tells the story of a destitute immigrant worker who steals an envelope containing instructions for a mysterious job that could pay out a fortune. Following the instructions, the young man unwittingly becomes trapped in a dark and dangerous situation.
The story revolves around 13 people playing “group” russian roulette in a circle point the gun at the person in front of you fire when the light goes on, first round only 1 bullet in the revolver, 2nd round 2 bullets etc Survivor gets $1 mill. Or does He ?
Bad day at Blackrock. Spencer Tracy and Anne Francis, Dean Jagger, Walter Brennan, Lee Marvin, and Ernest Borgnine.
will do the other 8 later.

1 Like

Bad Day at Black Rock shows how difficult the “Crime” genre is to define. It’s regarded as part thriller, part Western and part film noir, but it’s about a crime.

Finally finished perusing my movie library to find my top 10 crime films, and l haven’t even touched on film noir titles. Next up will be dramas, but that will take me a little more time to finish.

Top 10 Crime Dramas.

These are a list of my favorite crime dramas.

1. The Usual Suspects – directed by Bryan Singer.

2. The Lives of Others – Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck

3. Manhunter – directed by Michael Mann.

4. M – directed by Fritz Lang.

5. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels – directed by Guy Ritchie.

6. ■■■■■■ – directed by Guy Ritchie.

7. Gerbroken spiegels – Directed by Marleen Gorris 1984, Dutch production. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087320/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Memento – directed by Christopher Nolan with Guy Pierce (Leonard), Joe Pantoliano (Teddy), Carrie Anne – Moss (Natalie),

1. Blood in, Blood Out – directed by Taylor Hackford. Best depiction of LA gangs l have seen.

Heat – directed by Michael Mann.

1. Blood Simple – directed by the Coen brothers.

Gone Baby Gone – directed by Ben Affleck.

Honourable mentions:

Angels with Dirty Faces directed by Michael Curtiz.

The Big Easy – directed by (has a great soundtrack as well with lots of Zydeco)

Bladerunner (saving this one for the inevitable sci–fi thread that is sure to come)

Blow Up – Michealangelo Antonioni

Boyz’ N the Hood – directed by John Singleton.

Breathless - directed by Jean–Luc Godard.

Bullitt – directed by Peter Yates with Steve McQueen

Chinatown – directed by Roman Polanski with Jack Nicholson & Faye Dunaway

City of God. (aka Cuidad do Dios) – directed by Víctor González

The Conversation

Cop Land – Written & directed by James Mangold

The Corruptor – directed by James Foley with Mark Wahlberg & Chow Yun – Fat.

The Crimson Rivers – directed by Mathieu Kassovitz with Jean Reno & Vincent Cassel.

Dog Day Afternoon – directed by Sidney Lumet with Al Pacino

Don’t Look Now – directed by Nicolas Roeg with Julie Christie & Donald Sutherland.

The Equalizer – directed by Antoine Fuqua with Denzel Washington.

Fargo – directed by the Coen brothers.

The French Connection 1 – directed by William Friedkin with Gene Hackman, Roy Schieder & Fernando Rey

The French Connection 2 – directed by John Frankenheimer with Gene Hackman, Fernando Rey & Bernard Fresson.

The Getaway – directed by Sam Peckinpah with Steve McQueen (Doc McCoy), Ali McGraw (Carol McCoy),

Gorky Park – directed by Michael Apted with William Hurt, Joanna Pakula & Lee Marvin.

La Haine – Directed by Mathieu Kassovitz with Vincent Cassel, Hubert Kounde & Said Taghmadui.

Heaven’s Prisoners – directed by Phil Janou with Alec Baldwin, Eric Roberts, Mary Stuart Masterson & Terri Hatcher.

The Hit – directed by Stephen Frears with Terence Stamp (Willie Parker), John Hurt (Braddock),

The lce Harvest – directed by Peter Berg with John Cusack, Billy Bob Thornton Connie Nielson, Oliver Platt, Randy Quaid & Mike Starr.

The Killing – directed by Stanley Kubrick with Sterling Hayden, Colleen Grey & Vince Edwards.

L.A. Confidential – directed by Curtis Hanson with Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce, Kim Bassinger, James Cromwell, David Strathairn & Danny De Vito.

Layer Cake – directed by Mathew Vaughan with Daniel Craig, Kenneth Cranham, Dexter Fletcher, Colm Meaney, Michael Gambon & Sienna Miller.

Leon; The Professional – directed by

Live Flesh – directed by Pedro Almodavar with Javier Bardem, Francesca Neri, Liberto Rabal, Angela Molina & Jose Sancho.

London Boulevard – directed by William Monaghan with Colin Farrell, Keira Knightley & Ray Winstone.

Miller’s Crossing – directed by Ethan & Joel Coen with Gabriel Byrne, Marcia Gay Harden, John Turturro & Albert Finney.

MR 73 – directed by Olivier Marchal with Daniel Auteuil, Olivia Bonamy & Catherine Marchal.

New Jack City – directed by Mario Van Peebles with Wesley Snipes, Ice T & Judd Nelson.

No Country for Old Men – written and directed by Joel & Ethan Coen with Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin & Woody Harrelson.

The Offence – directed by Sydney Lumet with Sean Connery. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070468/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_45

On Dangerous Ground – directed by Nicholas Ray with Ida Lupino, Robert Ryan & Ward Bond.

Pale Flower 1964 – directed by Masahiro Shinoda with Ryo Ikebe, Mariko Kaga & Takashi Fujiki.

Palookaville. Genre: comedy/caper. Directed by Alan Taylor with William Forsythe, Vincent Gallo & Adam Trese.

Le Petit Lieutenant – directed by Xavier Beauvoi with Nathalie Baye, Jalil Lespret & Roschdy Zem.

Rear Window – directed by Alfred Hitchcock with James Stewart, Grace Kelly & Raymond Burr.

Rusty Knife 1958 – directed by Toshio Masuda with Trujillo Ishihara, Mie Kitahara & Shoji Yasui

Sexy Beast – directed by Jonathan Glazer with Ray Winstone, Ben Kingsley, Ian McShane, Amanda Redman, Julianne White & James Fox.

The Silence of the Lambs – directed by Jonathan Demme with Anthony Hopkins, Jodie Foster & Scott Glenn

Thief. 1981 Directed by Michael Mann with James Caan, Tuesday Weld, Willie Nelson & James Belushi.

The Unknown Woman. 2006. Italian – Written and directed by Giuseppe Tornatore with music composed and conducted by Ennio Morricone, Knesia Rappoport, Michele Placido & Claudia Gerini.

Zodiac – directed by David Falliner with Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo, Robert Downey Jr., Elias Koteas, Philip Baker & Brian Cox.

6 Likes

Die Hard
Die Hard
Die Hard

I didn’t realise The Equalizer was directed by Denz.

It wasn’t, l posted in haste and have now edited the entry.

1 Like

You should know not to put yourself through an American remake.

Have the yanks ever improved a foreign version of anything?

The Dinner Game was appalling.

Three Men and a Baby and The Fugitives were direct copies of earlier Veber films.

I think the Vanishing was where I learnt that lesson.

Good list.

The Crimson Rivers is a good film I haven’t seen in a while.

The Offence I haven’t seen but will try and chase down. Sydney Lumet is a great director of crime thrillers.

One day I plan to sit down and watch all these reccomendations.

One day!

This is a very different sort of crime film, and one of Connery’s better performances, as a burnt out cop. It is also a taut psychological study, it is not about action. No spoliers.

1 Like

There’s a series on SBSOD called Crimson Rivers. 3 2-episode stories i believe. I’ve seen the first series and believe it’s a spinoff.

Matthieu Kassovitz is the hero (antihero) of the Bureau. He plays Malotru and gets into all sorts of bother. Very ambiguous in his work as a French spy.

1 Like

Might have a look :+1: