American Hustle
Goodfellas
Thelma and Louise
The Warriors
Pulp Fiction
Scarface

1 Like

In general, i hate remakes.

And the Dutch version of The Vanishing was more than ten times better than the US version. The ending of the US version was beyond appalling.

3 Likes

Yep, the remake was totally unnecessary. Surprised that the director signed up to direct again only to butcher his own ending. Must have been a big payday.

Haneke also remade his own film with Funny Games which was also a total waste of time.

While l would argue that Apocalypse Now is Coppola’s best and has made a hefty cultural impact of its own. Anyway back to compiling my list.

I’ll add some personal faves that have not made the list:

Rider on the Rain or Le Passager de la pluie (1970) Charles Bronson. This managed to win the Golden Globe for best Foreign language film when it was in English!

Taking of Pelham 123 (1974) Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw with funky NY music. Classic. Avoid the Denzel Washington version at all cost

The Night of the Hunter (1955) Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters. One of these is a serial killer and a preacher

Elmer Gantry (1960) Burt Lancaser’s Oscar role as a corrupt preacher (also try The Swimmer – the crime is never explained)

The Ladykillers (1955) - Alec Guinness, Frankie Howerd, Peter Sellers. A comedy

In The Heat of the Night (1967) Sidney Poitier & Rod Steiger “*They call me Mister Tibbs! "

Serpico (1973) or Dog Day Afternoon (1975) Pacino when he could act and was hungry

Leon: The Professional (1994) Jean Reno, Gary Oldman, and a 12 year old Natalie Portman

City of God (2002) – Gangs in the infamous Cidade de Deus in Rio. Outstanding and hard to get through in one sitting!

Affliction (1997) Nick Nolte, Sissy Spacek, James Coburn, Willem Dafoe. Coburn won his Oscar for this one. Excellent small town movie

Honorable mentions

Carlos (The Jackal) (2010) Ahmad Kaabour, Alexander Scheer, Edgar Ramirez – Biopic of the terrorist

In Cold Blood (1967) Robert Blake and John Forsythe. A watered down version was remade as “Capote”

Bladerunner (1992)

Destroyer (2018) A grueling Nicole Kidman vehicle

5 Likes

Yes, but Apocalypse Now doesn’t have John Cazale in it.

Second half of Apocalypse Now was excruciatingly boring.

3 Likes

Great list.

Affliction is a top film.

Do we consider Girl With The Dragon Tattoo a crime film? Because thats another where the remake felt un-needed. The swedish version was a great film.

3 Likes

I actually didn’t mind the remake :grimacing:

As far as I’m concerned David Fincher can do no wrong.

The remake is quite vanilla compared to the original. The latest iteration, which was not part of the original trilogy is woeful.

The trouble I find with the original is I don’t like the lead actor.

We named our son Marlowe.

(Always loved the movie and was reading the novel at the time he was born.)

1 Like

Rapace? I thought she suited the vibe of the production perfectly. Not that Mara wasn’t good in the remake, I just didn’t think there was any reason to have a new version barely a year or two later.

1 Like

Nah, Nyqvist but I’m not a huge fan of Rapace either.

I suspect you are right about the remake being unnecessary though. Fincher didn’t want anything to do with the remaining films of the series.

Two more to add to my list-
Bonnie and Clyde
The Killing (an early Kubrick movie)

Howard the ■■■■ was robbed

Some Adam Sandler films like Mr Deeds were criminal in destroying memories of a great film. Do they count?

1 Like

In no particular order
Se7en
Bone collector
Heat
French connection
Road to perdition
Silence of the lambs
The untouchables
In the line of fire
Prisoners
Ransom( though I’m not sure if it’s a thriller or crime)

1 Like

Heat is an interesting one. I found it bloated and overblown. Yes, De Niro and Pacino in the one scene but even then i thought the dialogue tedious and overwritten.