MRP - nothing on spear tackles from the Hawks

I am amazed that there wasn’t at least a comment on McEvoy’s tackles and a few others yesterday. By not making a statement the MRP is stating that the spear tackles are acceptable !

Ambo to play on Big Boi next time. Should do the trick.

The issue I had with a few of McEvoys tackles were they were multiple movements - he had the player pinned and then in a seperate action went the fling. Personally I think those tackles should be allowed but too many other people have been pinged for less so unless the MRP and ROTGC have made pronouncements the rules have changed he should have been at least cited.

Quoted Post

Both the Pickett and Trengove tackles are great tackles. Imagine if one of our boys got suspended for that today.

Has the rule changed on sling tackles? Trengove got 3 weeks for that & I thought it was still outlawed (3 weeks was over the top). What McEvoy did to Melksham looked like the same action. It not a spear tackle as the OP claims, its a sling.

Both the Pickett and Trengove tackles are great tackles. Imagine if one of our boys got suspended for that today.

Can’t recall any spear tackles?

Quoted Post

Agree that they weren't spear tackles, but if this deserves three weeks then I reckon Melk deserved at least a free! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv7ZH-NKuIs
Round 7 2011? Come on Humbert, you don't really expect the current AFL execs to have consistency of rules over 4 years do you?

I can remember there being a lot of “won’t you think of the children” about this tackle

Agree that they weren’t spear tackles, but if this deserves three weeks then I reckon Melk deserved at least a free!

Looking forward to us dishing out some ‘drive’ tackles and all the private seething that comes with it.

In the rugby world, a spear tackle involves lifting the players legs higher than his head, pointing the head downwards and throwing him, head first at the ground. Its also known as a “dangerous throw”
The damage to players necks in these types of tackles usually arises from the weight of the tackling player in addition to the players own weight. These players build up neck strength, but clearly not able to handle double their weight in the worst case.

The McEvoy tackle on Melk involved the sideways tilt of Melks neck, as McEvoy slung him into the ground and jumped on him.

So imo the McEvoy tackle was borderline. The others were not as bad.

I AM OUTRAGED.

Those thumping sling tackles, reminiscent of a judo throw are now confirmed to be legal, obviously. This means it’s something we can expect from all teams from now on.

We have to make sure the ones we deal out hurt them more than the ones we receive.

The McEvoy one on Melksham was more of a sling tackle, obviously frees don’t get paid for them anymore.

I would call it a full body slam, and McEvoy did it a number of times. It is all about injuring opponents, nothing else can explain it, and as it happens after the ball is played inmost cases, it should be a penalty.

Spear tackles are pretty specific things.
I don’t think I saw any.

Have another look. Look at what McEvoy was doing !

No no no: he was merely “thinking about doing a spear tackle”.

Ah wait… that would be a free. FFS.

Post an example.

The only incident that looked close to MRP was Danihers hit on the Hawk player in the first half and even that was not worthy of a second look.

McEvoy tackled Melksham & it looked pretty clear to me that it was 2 actions & the second action was a head 1st sling tackle. Has the rule changed?