Music You've Been Listening To

Loving Skylar Greys new album cannot wait for yelawolf’s new album

Plus macklemore kills it in his new song

I was watching some Hellacopters videos recently (they’re a fav), and YouTube had Turbonegro in the suggestions. Clicked and was totally drawn into this video - everything from the lead singer’s physique and ridiculous outfit, to the great guitar solo, I love it all:

Turbonegro are SICK

Just back from the Wangaratta Jazz and Blues Festival, as usual with a long list of music to investigate, not least the wonderful local Luke Howard and the Joe O’Connor Trios. The former, with their European sensibilities, were great despite rather than because they played in the horrible church venue, an acoustic hell chamber (despite what the generally reliable Jessica Nicholas states in her otherwise accurate review in today’s Age) and the latter, lead by a previous winner of ■■■■’s National Jazz award, included an extraordinary guest performance from the great Scott Tinkler (Oz’s best musician??) in a raucous out there avant garde masterwork.
The international acts weren’t as well known as usual, vindictive federal funding cuts made sure of that, but the Musical Director, Adrian Jackson, pulled his jazz loaves and fishes act and the “Shy boy” suite from Ronan Guilfoyle with the assistance of 3 great Oz musos was stunning. And there were dozens of other great performances, as per normal, and I even briefly ventured down to the blues, relocated to the flawed Garden Stage after the threatened floods lead to the pulling of the usual tented blues venue, to see the US import JJ Thames use her huge voice and boundless energy in Tina Turner style rocking blues with the local blues legend Fiona Boyes and her Band.
The bad news was that the crowds were definitely down, due to weather and funding cuts according to the previously quoted Age article, but it should be noted that the attempts to “encourage” the locals to pay $30 per day for music that was previously free has been a resounding failure. The “old” Reid Street setup, with its music stages and stalls and thousands of locals, was a great FREE gift to the people of Wangaratta and to remove it for a fairly soulless paying venue isn’t working.
If you’re considering a future visit let me say that it merits support and does much to nurture young creative musicians and adventurous creative music. The musical variety is amazing and the WPAC Theatre is the BEST music venue for aural quality and physical comfort I’ve ever experienced, and that includes most of Melbourne’s major venues.
If it withers and dies this State and this country loses, FULL STOP

1 Like
I was watching some Hellacopters videos recently (they're a fav), and YouTube had Turbonegro in the suggestions. Clicked and was totally drawn into this video - everything from the lead singer's physique and ridiculous outfit, to the great guitar solo, I love it all: http://youtu.be/x8yVzVPOcMk

Have you checked out Nicke’s new band Imperial State Electric? Also good, similar to The Hellacopters. The singer/bassist from The Datsuns is also in the band

Dandy warhols at the palais tonight

1 Like

Love this new song from gabrielle aplin

music videos are largely superfluous these days, but i reckon the video to valentines day adds so, so much to the song, works so well

was probably discussed when it came out/ when bowie died but its just so fantastically done imo

There might be some good Xmas songs but all Christmas albums suck, right. And I still love Kurt Elling but he has wandered a little too closely to the schmaltz border on recent albums, right. So it was with trepidation that I approached Elling’s latest album, “The Beautiful Day: Kurt Elling sings Christmas.”
I was pleasantly surprised to find it isn’t a quick knock off to tap into the Xmas market, but a genuine contribution to his oeuvre and possibly the best album he’s done for a long time. Mostly he’s chosen lesser known songs and he’s avoided the road to sentimentality. He’s actually touring the album and apparently his post US election gigs are understandably more sombre than usual. I liked his recent quote that the best Christmas songs were written by Jews and Communists.
This song about the way different children view the legendary asylum seeker takes on a deeper significance in light of recent events. Great song and wonderful drums.

And this version of we three kings is terrific.

It’s all up on Youtube and Spotify.

Got a dodgy copy of the new Metallica album…Probs could have just done 1 album instead of double album…a few stinkers

Trolling through youtube looking for new music to listen to and found this album by Trees Of Eternity

(The band Trees of Eternity is a musical collaboration between Finnish guitarist Juha Raivio and Sweden-based, South African-born singer Aleah. Their music is often described as down-tempo, doom/death-inspired melancholia with ghostly female vocals):

The Veronicas have sure changed

I've been listening to some of The Church's early albums today...(imo) they're right up there with the best bands Australia has ever produced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1BOr0IaMYw

Stumbled on this thread - the cd loaded in my car ATM is “of skins and heart”.
Love all of it but especially the slow build up in “is this where you live”, if you don’t start tapping fingers or foot when the drums kick in at the big tempo change then you may not have a pulse.

Teens of Denial is a crazy good album.

Just quietly, one of the truly great singer songwriters died recently, and I don’t mean that Canadian bloke. He was probably better known for the covers by more famous artists but he could spin a darkly droll lyric. See you later, Mose Allison.

And how good is Moon here!

And one more for the road, Mose.

Flew up to see Crowded House last night from Melbourne.

Was farking magical

Digging this atm