Music You've Been Listening To

I was gonna chime in on the floyd debate…but its lost its steam.

All I’ll say is, the sum is greater than the parts.

2 Likes
2 Likes

New album from We Are Scientists. A little more electronic than their normal fare (some obvious New Order influence in parts), but as usual there’s plenty of funky basslines and more hooks than a tackle box…

1 Like

It’s not bad. Nothing they’ve done has made me go for repeated listens since their first album, but it’s always decent. I see the singer still rocks the greying combover clinging-to-youth haircut :joy:

Yeah, the combo of singer’s fringe and other bloke’s p0rno-tache is decidedly questionable! Always got the feeling they don’t take themselves too seriously though…

I’m not sure they’ve really ever nailed an album from start-to-finish, but a playlist of their best moments is killer! They do smart, hooky, catchy indie pop well, and the top 2 or 3 tracks off each album are really good… a very good “singles band” if you know what I mean…

Speaking of which, always really liked this one…

1 Like

The Cars - The Cars

3 Likes

Annie Lennox A Whiter Shade of Pale (Tradução) - YouTube and A Blue Bayou - YouTube

The War on Drugs - Lost in a Dream. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Bloody hell, Purple Rain is an underrated album.

6 Likes

Just finished listening to it…it’s a brilliant album but I’m not sure if it was underrated.

From wiki: “The album spent 24 consecutive weeks atop on the Billboard 200 and was present on the chart for a total of 122 weeks”

1 Like

Historically.
That tool…Australian self-aggrandiser chancer…can’t remember his name…gave it two stars.
What a ■■■■.

Edit: Mathieson. Imagine being so musically illiterate that you do a review of Prince’s back catalogue and you give Purple Rain two stars, and still some people respect your views.

1 Like

The ending to this Wire song is so damn good, the build up to the chorus of “ohh-oh” with the jerky industrial guitars.

1 Like

From that description my immediate thought was that you could only be talking about Glenn A Baker…

1 Like

Great song. Amazing band.

1 Like

Vale Burt.
I love Dionne, simply adore her voice, but Aretha’s version of the Bacharach/David classic has her covered…just.

1 Like

Great album.
Although I’d like to talk to the guy who separated Pioneer and Six Months so far in the track listing.

Seems like an obvious Need You/Mediate pairing to me.

2 Likes