Music You've Been Listening To

2 Likes

Why do I not notice drums until I do?

Goddamnโ€ฆ

2 Likes

Produced by the incomparable Nick Launay.
I mean, how could it not be?
He wouldโ€™ve been the obvious choice. It (and the whole album) has got the 10โ€ฆ1 drum sound all over itโ€ฆ

I never liked Big Pig much at the time. They were too mouthy. โ€œWeโ€™re changing the face of music with our multiple drummers set-up!!โ€ No, no youโ€™re not actually. Sounds pretty good to me these days thoughโ€ฆ

1 Like

Thanks for the info.
Love it more now.
And obviously all of 10-1.
And Rise and particularly Disappointed.
Swear I could listen to that as an instrumental for the drums alone.

But itโ€™s a cracking song anyway.

And makes me wonder again about why the UK rate black female backing vocalists more than the US does.
Thatโ€™s weird.

1 Like

I was just watching that last night actually. I love the channels that are upscaling old videos into HD and 4K. Some are better than others (the grain gets lost and and the blemish free faces look to plasticky on many) but this Austech one does a good job, and loads of old Aussie tunes.

2 Likes

This is so silly. I love it.

1 Like

I believe that you live in Japan, @mrjez .

Can you verify what Milton Jones told me that young children learning the piano are first taught how to play the simple tune called โ€œKnife & Forkโ€?

1 Like

Haha, I believe they do!*

*may not be true

Itโ€™s mostly musicโ€ฆ great archive of iconic music:

Checkerboard Lounge? Jeepersโ€ฆ thatโ€™s a blast from the past. Used to see them in the early 90โ€™s on a semi-regular basis at The Great Britain in Richmond. Always found the concept of a singing drummer interesting - the only other time I could remember seeing it was The Romanticsโ€™ clip for Thatโ€™s What I Like about You. It may not, but surely singing and keeping the beat simultaneously must require quite the effort.

I can only presume that youโ€™ve never heard of a guy called Don Henleyโ€ฆor even Phil Collins.

1 Like

Yeah, good point datโ€ฆ

Honest question, how often did Phil Collins drum and sing lead in concert? Whatever Genesis (post-PG) or solo footage Iโ€™ve seen generally had Chester Thompson drumming.

Don Felder song but Don Henley drumming and backing vocalsโ€ฆ one of my fav songs NOT on Spotify!

2 Likes

Carl Panuzzo is a true legend of Australian blues, soul etc. Heโ€™s the only remaining original member of Checkerboard, who did indeed build its foundation around Collingwood etc in the 90โ€™s. Having not lived in Melbourne for 22 years now, I googled a couple of years ago to see if they were still going. Rollercoaster is the recent follow up to The Sun Sessions (recorded at the famous Memphis studio as the title suggests). So great to see and hear his band finally captured and released in professional recordings. Hereโ€™s a bit more:
Checkerboard Lounge 'SUN Sessions' Album Preview | Memo Music Hall

1 Like

First proper band, dedicated this to another local band.
Ran through the whole intro.
โ€˜Ah-ha-ha-ha hey!
What I like about you
Nothing!โ€™
Fin.

1 Like

Itโ€™s my go-to karaoke song. Note and word perfect. Even the โ€œbrrrrrrrrrrโ€ฆโ€ into the harmonica soloโ€ฆ

2 Likes

I think of Grant from Husker Du and Duncan from Snuff - both great singing drummers