Music You've Been Listening To

Six months late, as usual.
■■■■■■ good for an unearthed track, I reckon.

RIP Merle Haggard The first I heard of the great Merle Haggard was in Pure Prairie League's 70s tribute (sort of) "I'll fix your flat tyre, Merle", a response to Merle's hippy baiting hit "Okie from Muskogee", with its memorable chorus- "I'll fix your flat tyre Merle Don't ya get your sweet country pickin' fingers all covered with erl Cause you're a honky, I know, but Merle you got soul And I'll fix your flat tyre Merle" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhpq2oDPT9w I looked him up after that and discovered an opinionated hypocritical honkie alright but also a multi instrumentalist and highly talented song writer who really did "have soul". Lots of pure country of course, which for some reason that I don't understand turns people off, but he could do a mean country inflected blues too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbEstJ98TcM That said "Okie from Muskogee" is a foot tapping LOL hoot of a song. "We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee; We don't take no trips on LSD We don't burn no draft cards down on Main Street; We like livin' right, and bein' free." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iYY2FQHFwE&nohtml5=False Emmylou liked him so he can't have been all bad. Great song, Merle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isjTTYzKMO4&nohtml5=False

Towards the end he was looking, oh what’s the word…

Towards the end he was looking, oh what’s the word…

BaDoomp, … TISH!

well, i always thought the old folk talking about how good billy thorpe was, was a bit of a furphy. heard this today on triple R.

wow, rockin tune, loved it. might have to listen more to the old folk around here a bit more.

Billy Thorpe & The Aztecs - Mamma

This is a really, really good song.

The Flemish pianist, Jef Neve, released this clip one day after the Brussels’ bombings. A musically eloquent expression of sorrow and a solemn call for hope.
“I dedicate this song to all the people in the world who believe in love and freedom for everyone. This world needs to go forward, not backward. Only one chance to give the second millennium a beautiful start!”
One of Neve’s early albums was called “Noone is illegal”.

New FOTL Albums dropped. Fkn brilliant.

Future of the Left – The Peace & Truce of Future of the Left

Who are they like

TBH, . like no one else I’ve ever heard.

Influenced by the likes of the pixies … but laced with dead kennedys , … and, well. Mclusky, if you’ve heard them… (their previous incarnation)

I’ll give them a crack.
I just bought night at the Roxbury cd home and it’s gone down a treat for the masses at chateau de Sameolds.
And geez I’m having flashbacks of a misspent youth.
Baby don’t hurt me.

Might be worth starting with some Mclusky and easing into Falcos later stuff (FOTL - Christian fitness)

A band that easily wins the contest for best Song & album titles ever.

Eg: Albums.

The difference between you & me, is that I’m not on fire

My pain & sadness is more sad & painful than yours.

Songs

Dethink to Survive

Rock vs. Single Parents

Beacon for ■■■■■■ Ships

The Habit That Kicks Itself

Without MSG I Am Nothing

Hymn for New Cars

Reformed Arsonist Seeks Child Bride

Your Children Are Waiting for You to Die

Lightsabre ■■■■■■■■■■■ Blues

Etc

God it was a fun time discovering and following this band. The year they first came to Meredith was possibly the best year for music & concerts I’ll ever know.

well, i always thought the old folk talking about how good billy thorpe was, was a bit of a furphy. heard this today on triple R.

wow, rockin tune, loved it. might have to listen more to the old folk around here a bit more.

Billy Thorpe & The Aztecs - Mamma

Saw Billy Thorpe at Queenscliff in, maybe, 2001. I had thought a bit like you previously. But watching him play in a tent, with a gentle rain falling outside, you could just tell he had ‘it’. The sound was immense. The guitar tone was the stuff that guitarists spend so much money trying to replicate. The songs were great, and the performance was really good.

And this was 30 years post Sunbury…

Yeah, some of those old people knew a thing or two…

Might be worth starting with some Mclusky and easing into Falcos later stuff (FOTL - Christian fitness)

…snip…

God it was a fun time discovering and following this band. The year they first came to Meredith was possibly the best year for music & concerts I’ll ever know.

And McLusky /FOTL.

McLusky so very very loud that time I saw them at the corner. Good band.

(although probably not as loud as Billy Thorpe in his prime (according to the legend anyway…)…There were no goldfish at the corner, so no way to determine if they’d have survived…)

Will never forget that Corner gig, … was just prior to the break up,. or what led to it.

The night Falco chased the bass player off stage threatening to ■■■■ him up. Damn shame they ended up hating each other so much.

Fark me but 10 to 1 is a good album.
And if ever an album should date really really badly, both thematically and musically, it’s that one.
But it just doesn’t.
I didn’t have it in my GOAT top ten, but I should have.

Who are they like

This review does the record justice …

Future of the Left - the peace & truce of future of the left

This is a band tight enough and confident enough to know they can take anything, and anybody, on.

Label: Prescriptions Music
Released: April 8, 2016
Reviewer: Danny Wright
Rating: 4 Stars

‘The Peace & Truth of Future of the Left’ is a rawer, leaner and filthier sound. A gut-trembling rumble echoes throughout the whole album and the group have never sounded tighter, or more like a band for that matter. Jack Egglestone’s inventive, bludgeoning drumming dominates while Julia Ruzicka’s bass brings that robotic dark dingy funk. They work in tandem with tempos shifting as buzzsaw guitars slice through, with Falco’s scabrous vocals swinging from spoken word to unearthly snarling growl. All the way through it feels exhilarating: in a way, with its primitive, unprocessed thrills, it even feels akin to ‘Mclusky do Dallas’.

Like 2013’s ‘How To Stop Your Brain In An Accident’, ‘The Peace & Truth’ is crowd-funded and, without the shackles of a record label, this autonomy seems to have given the band the freedom to scorch their own path. It continues ‘How To Stop’s…’ move away from the synths that dominated the earlier albums and pushes things towards darker gnarlier sound - the production feels less slick here yet their vice-like tightness means they can turn their hand to a few styles.

The cavernous guitars of opener ’If AT&T drank tea what would BP do?’ not only provides a reminder that Falco knows his way around a great song title but also an ear-pummelling track. ‘The Limit of Battleships’ goes from high-tempo pogo-ing bass with a furious Falco asking ‘Have you ever been wound up to the point of prison food’ through to an erosive breakdown, as he spits through gritted teeth that ‘it burns like writer’s block’. From the snarling combustible march of ‘Back When I Was Brilliant’ through to the crackling ramshackle funk of ’50 Days Before the Hun’ (which surprisingly brings to mind ‘Odelay’-era Beck) this is a band tight enough and confident enough to know they can take anything, and anybody, on.

Cheers for that - I’ll give them a go, or at least that album.
That first song is a bit of everything. Like it.

Some of the best songs I’ve heard in the last 15 years have been mclusky/FOTL. Been disappointed in them at times too. Looking forward to giving the new one a crack.

a matrixgeek classic.