Music You've Been Listening To

Itā€™s the Country game so when we get smashed I might just take Hank Jnrā€™s advice.

Hell, I might as well get started early.

George Benson, Wes Montgomeryā€™s soul child, doing ā€œTake 5ā€ with its quirky 5/4. George sounded good even when he was ā€œselling outā€ but this piece in the midst of the sell out period is a reminder of just how extraordinarily wonderful he was. Personally Iā€™d rather listen to George in form than Metheny, AND I love Metheny.

Recently gotten into vinyl and pretty chuffed to own all of Dire Straits studio albums as of today.

Favourite tracks would have to be:

Why Worry

Once Upon a Time in the West

Always liked ā€œNewsā€ off Comminique, but just a fantastic record from go to whoa.

Finally got another turntable after not having one for 15 years. Kept about 40 favorite LPs that havenā€™t seen light for longer than that. So far dragged out Santanaā€™s 3rd album, SRV Couldnā€™t Stand the Weather, Taj Mahal Collection. Surprised thereā€™s so few scratches considering their historyā€¦

This is a very nice song.

new ā€œsupergroupā€ (members of Slowdive, Editors, Mogwai)

Movieā€™s out and the critics are calling it ā– ā– ā– ā–  but it does include a version of this song.

dunno if its fantastic in its own right, or if its just so bad its good

Get free
Lean on
Be together

Got Vitalogy playing (quiet night at work) and Iā€™m always blown away by how good this album is, particularly if I havenā€™t listened to it for a while.

Last Exit, Spin the Black Circle, Not for You Tremor Christ, Nothingman - now thats how you start an album!

Has that got better man on it too

Vitalogy is a very good album.
Hasnā€™t a blitzer got the old medical book?

But enough of that, I need you guys to tell me the name of a song.
Iā€™m very confident you can.

Soā€¦early eighties British ska-pop-punkā€¦I think.
Sort of Jam/Madness/Clash but I donā€™t think itā€™s any of those.
And all I have is a backing vocal, and I think itā€™s ā€œmurder each otherā€. Definitely something each other.
Sung quickly in a shouty but still tuneful way in between the lead vocalists lines.

Please tell me what it is, so I can stop it recurring in my head and also play the actual song very loud.

Yeah Iā€™ve got it but it was on a shelf about 500 cm away. Couldnā€™t be bothered.
I saw their tour in 94 for that album. It was the one at the music bowl that got broken into by about 5000 or so people.
Cool story me.

Itā€™s ā€˜bully each other.ā€™
I think Iā€™ll find it now I know thatā€¦

Edit: oopsā€¦Jamie T - If You Got The Money

Soā€¦not really 80s ska punk at allā€¦

Vitalogy is a very good album. Hasn't a blitzer got the old medical book?

But enough of that, I need you guys to tell me the name of a song.
Iā€™m very confident you can.

Soā€¦early eighties British ska-pop-punkā€¦I think.
Sort of Jam/Madness/Clash but I donā€™t think itā€™s any of those.
And all I have is a backing vocal, and I think itā€™s ā€œmurder each otherā€. Definitely something each other.
Sung quickly in a shouty but still tuneful way in between the lead vocalists lines.

Please tell me what it is, so I can stop it recurring in my head and also play the actual song very loud.

Vitalogy probably the best album PJ ever did, IMO.

Is the song youā€™re thinking of ā€œSomebody Got Murderedā€ by The Clash ?.

Chorus is a shouty:
ā€œSomebody got murdered
Somebodyā€™s dead foreverā€

ā€˜The Specialsā€™ also did a more ā€˜skaā€™ version of it.

Itā€™s not,but Iā€™m going to listen to the Specials version now, ta.

Iā€™ve wanted to post the studio version of ā€œEpicā€ by Jonathan Zwartz from his ā€œThe Seaā€ album for years but this is the first time Iā€™ve found it on You Tube (I posted a live version a while back but this is the one I love). This tune saved my sanity so many times at work I can never repay it enough. When the ā– ā– ā– ā–  went down Iā€™d find some quiet space and just lose myself in its Brazilian flavour. The recording quality is pristine and its 5/4 lilt was originally designed to lull Zwartzā€™s newborn to sleep. The band are a stellar Oz lineup and I think it was the best selling Oz Jazz album of 2010 and 2011.
Definitely my favourite Oz produced track of relatively recent times. Musical bliss.