Music You've Been Listening To

This film clip tells a pretty important story.

Lovely song too.
I urge everyone to listen to it at least once…

Feel like I’ve hit the jackpot this week. Just found another vid of one of my staple listening tunes of recent years, Tony Gould’s brilliantly understated and evocative take on the great Irish melody, “It’s A Long Way To Tipperary”, which will forever be associated with WW1.
Professor Gould, no less, the former dean of the VCA School of music, has always knocked me sideways in live gigs and, it seemed to me, it was a hell of a creative waste to have him engaged in pedagogical administration - still if that’s the only way to survive as a musician I guess you take it. His music is meditative, empathetic and achingly romantic. He has that rare ability to rescue the musical essence of “hackneyed” tunes from recorded cliches, and only great musicians can do that.
This piece comes from a stunning release of traditional Irish melodies called “At the end of the day” and it’s all up on You Tube.
And yes I know it should have been posted last week but better late than never.

https://youtu.be/FGFbZckK7Eo

new “supergroup” (members of Slowdive, Editors, Mogwai)

Ooh, didn’t know about this. Thank you!

Just discovered Dweezil Zappa’s rendition of Watermelon in Easter Hay, trying to hold back the tears as he goes. Stunning.

This live version by FZ’s great too:

Those who don’t know it should also check out the original studio recording

Gonna work on a cover of this, I reckon if its done right it would go off live.

One of my favourite metal ballads

I’ve loved the US singer, musician, composer Becca Stevens since I heard her years ago in Bjorkestra before she formed her own band but I’ve noted a jump in her youtube hits recently and I suppose its because of this gig with Snarky Puppy- which I like - but not nearly as much as the same song solo which has less than a 100 hits. Guess I must be missing stuff again. It’s from her Perfect Animal cd originally. Massive talent and it’s great to see her finally getting some recognition without selling out her music.

Really good but I like this version more.

And this is even better. How ■■■■■■■ good is she!

High rotation on the mrjez iTunes for a long long time now:

I’m like a kid in a candy store, new Radiohead teasers are coming out…RELEASE THE DAMN ALBUM ALREADY JERKS

Radiohead. Lol.

Radiohead. Lol.

JERK.

Actually the best, bar none. Thom needs a haircut tho.

■■■■■

Radiohead. Lol.
Please go on. I've always been very yeah nah about Radiohead, and people just think I'm insane.

RIP Gato Barbieri. Who, I hear some of you say. Well you may not have heard his name but if you’ve seen Last Tango In Paris you’ve heard his distinctive sax sound in a format that belies much of his music, or at least his great stuff. Gato’s special for me because of what he did before Last Tango and most of the lounge lizard stuff since could be glossed over if it wasn’t for his great playing, even if it is pap. No, I remember Gato, the Argentinian jazz firebrand from the late 60s and early 70s. I picked up his 1968 debut LP “In Search Of The Mystery”, back in the mid 70s, largely because I thought the cover was cool, but when I put it on the turntable my ears didn’t know what hit them. It’s open free and thoroughly UGLY at first listen, like a lot of radical new music I’m told. I hadn’t headed into Jazz’s open sea prior to Gato and it took me a while to appreciate it but I now love its energy and raw emotionalism - and the music that lies beyond traditional structures. It literally changed the way I approached music as a listener. Gato stopped playing free post Tango, as far as I know, which helped his bank balance but diminished his status in my op. I wonder if they’ll bury or burn him in his trademark black fedora.

The back cover of my copy of Gato’s first LP. Note that the liner notes include information in Esperanto no less.

The first half of side one.

The more accessible and well known Last Tango piece. The mythology has it that the sax playing is meant to represent the denial of sexual relief. Good playing but give me free Gato any day.

Radiohead. Lol.
Please go on. I've always been very yeah nah about Radiohead, and people just think I'm insane.
Radiohead. Lol.

Radiohead have been together for 31 years have and they never compromised their artistic vision. They still produce brilliant and fascinating music, still have all original members and continue to evolve as a band.