Music You've Been Listening To

Radio head are a bit like Seinfeld for me. I just don’t get either of them.
Feel a bit left out.

Radiohead. Lol.
Please go on. I've always been very yeah nah about Radiohead, and people just think I'm insane.
Radiohead. Lol.
Please go on. I've always been very yeah nah about Radiohead, and people just think I'm insane.

Radiohead have been together for 31 years have and they never compromised their artistic vision. They still produce brilliant and fascinating music, still have all original members and continue to evolve as a band.

Yeah I know the argument for sucking their collective ■■■■■, I'm intrigued to know why people don't dig em.

For me, they scratch the surface of electronica or experimentation, and everyone heralds them as geniuses who rule those styles. If your tastes are mainstream then maybe. Overrated in that regard.

Also, I don’t feel a single thing when listening to them, they never move me. That’s personal, they never produce hooks that resonate with me.

I did think they were very enjoyable live, and I think they’re a good band. It’s just when I see things like the top rated album of all time on rateyourmusic, I’m at a loss how anyone thinks they can sit in the pantheon of all-time greats.

Whoever said popularity equals Great ?? In my experience the direct opposite is more likely true. There is so much dross in every medium that the masses flock to & worship.

I sort of respect the music, … except I hold no affection for electronica/computer generated cr@p, but I just find them, meh! Maybe I’ve just had my fill of whiney Poms over the journey?

I don’t know why… but if I said “Radiohead were like James Blunt for Hipsters” … would that resonate?

I’ve never really appreciated Radiohead first hand because I don’t listen to that much contemporary popular music. But I get them secondhand all the time because some of the artists I love think they’re the bees knees. Brad Mehldau is one of my favourite musicians, an exceptional player with exquisite touch and a great ear IMHO, and he interprets Radiohead all the time and he only does that for artists he rates. That’s good enough for me. Music, for me, is ultimately about what I like. The stuff I don’t appreciate might be great too and I’m fine with that. But I sure like this.

And this solo piece is even better, IMHO.

In the end we can only listen with our own ears.

Radiohead. Lol.
Radiohead. Lol.

Radiohead have been together for 31 years have and they never compromised their artistic vision. They still produce brilliant and fascinating music, still have all original members and continue to evolve as a band.

Yeah I know the argument for sucking their collective ■■■■■, I'm intrigued to know why people don't dig em.

For me, they scratch the surface of electronica or experimentation, and everyone heralds them as geniuses who rule those styles. If your tastes are mainstream then maybe. Overrated in that regard.

Also, I don’t feel a single thing when listening to them, they never move me. That’s personal, they never produce hooks that resonate with me.

I did think they were very enjoyable live, and I think they’re a good band. It’s just when I see things like the top rated album of all time on rateyourmusic, I’m at a loss how anyone thinks they can sit in the pantheon of all-time greats.

lol that’s a funny read

The girl in the blue bikini went missing and hasn’t shown up.

Just finished listening to “The Wall” from start to finish…I’d forgotten just how brilliant a piece of music it is.

I’m pretty sure it won’t take me so long to listen to it again.

Just finished listening to "The Wall" from start to finish....I'd forgotten just how brilliant a piece of music it is.

I’m pretty sure it won’t take me so long to listen to it again.

Do yourself a favour, and buy the 5.1 version of the movie DVD.

Greatest solo in history? Certainly one of the most significant. From the 56 concert that re-established Duke Ellington as the leader of the greatest big band in jazz. Duke could do it all but he especially had a great sense of theatre and when he realised Paul Gonsalves was on fire he gave him his head and the tenor sax man produced 27 choruses, count them, of pulsating rhythmic genius that form the spine of the tune that reignited the Duke’s career. The solo, which starts at 4.07 and goes for over 6 minutes, is a bit muffled because Gonsalves played into the wrong recording mike but you can still hear what drove the crowd into a frenzy. Legend has it that a very attractive jitterbugging female moved towards the stage and inspired the band.
Never gets old.

A band with obvious Bowie influences:

https://youtu.be/315qJJ3Y9uA

Yeah, I’m late, not a regular reader here.

This makes more sense now…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI2oS2hoL0k

This could easily be the theme song for one Ms C Wilson.

thepatientlives.bandcamp.com

Now I know Adele is a huge star but I’ve never heard any of her music BUT I have now heard her complaining about an Italian audience member filming her onstage and it must be said she does it with class and skill and keeps the audience on side, which is more than can be said for my fav muso, the notoriously prickly Keith Jarrett, who had similar issues with an Italian audience but chose a different line of attack, one that got him savaged by the press and fans alike …And temporarily banned from Umbria. Still reckon I prefer Keith’s ■■■■ on the liver response.
Adele

Keith

Please come back to Oz, Keith, I promise not to cough.

Brad Mehldau’s new cd “Blues And Ballads” is out and it’s all up on Spotify. Nothing ground shattering or discordant but lovely to listen to, like slipping into a warm harmonious bath. Mostly standards played on Mehldau’s mellow home ground. Here he takes the Beatles’ “And I love Her” down South of the Border.

Shouty sweary punk + retro video games = win

Plus Pup’s huge tune from a coupla years back:

Adia Victoria’s Debut Album - Beyond The Bloodhounds… Wow.

Imagine Kim Deal had a love child with a black Joni Mitchell & she grew up in Alabama with Lemmy & Steve Earl for Grandads.

So many facets. She’s a mixed bag of tricks.

The Record.

https://cdn.americansongwriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/unnamed-6-768x768.jpg?e949cd

The single.

Another from it.

And this one, written at 19 in Harlem after Hurricane Sandy, (Touch of Alanis here)

Don’t let the cuteness of the album shot fool you … there is that guise, but then there’s …

And …

Then …

… and then …

And goth, murder blues, swamp rock … etc …

Highly f’ckin recommended.

Edit: Even a couple that would stir GRR’s ear.

Also, RAGE has a PUNK special for the DVR’s tonight … putting a taste of the playlist on this morn …

KILLING JOKE - Love Like Blood
BIRTHDAY PARTY - LIVE, THE - Release The Bats
CURE, THE - Play For Today
SLITS, THE - Earth Beat
POP GROUP, THE - She Is Beyond Good and Evil
FALL, THE - Why Are People Grudgeful
P.I.L. - Death Disco

SAINTS, THE - Know Your Product
RADIO BIRDMAN - Aloha Steve and Danno
SCIENTISTS, THE - Blood Red River
SEX PISTOLS - Interview 1977
SEX PISTOLS - Anarchy In The U.K.
GENERATION X - New Order
STIFF LITTLE FINGERS - Barbed Wire Love
BUZZCOCKS, THE - Ever Fallen In Love
RAMONES, THE - I Wanna Be Sedated
RAMONES, THE - Chasin’ The Night
WAITRESSES, THE - I Know What Boys Like
ROMEO VOID - Never Say Never
JOHNNY THUNDERS and PATTI PALLADIN - Crawfish
RICHARD HELL and THE VOIDOIDS - New Pleasure

The Saints - Lipstick On Your Collar
The Laughing Clowns - Holy Joy
X-ray Spex - Oh Bondage, Up Yours!
Rancid - Ruby Soho
The Damned - Smash It Up
Husker Du - Could You Be The Only One
The Slits - Earth Beat
Dead Milkmen - Punk Rock Girl

Some post-punk too. Bodes well.

Soil and Pimp Sessions
They’re calling this “Death Jazz” but it sounds like revved up hard bop to me, albeit ■■■ hard bop; The Jazz Messengers fused with Horace Silver on speed. They just had to cancel tour dates in the US because the US immigration dept has delayed their visas - that has to help the bad boy cred.