Musos? What do you play? Let's see 'em!

The Jennings AC40 in the photo is owned by Andy Scott from The Sweet (UK 70's band)- said amp was used to record a track called The Ballroom Blitz. He has a house full of amazing gear- best is his Gibson ES335. 

Interesting. You know this guy?

I remember watching The Sweet on Top of the Pops in UK as a kid.  I'll have to check out some You Tube to try & spot the amp. 

My Jennings is off for repair (the trem / vib effect has gone bung).  They are rare as.  I'd love to know the history behind my copy.

It sounds Voxy as you would expect, but the tone control is quite different - you can boost the tone to get a bell-like Fender sound, or cut the tone to get a boxier Humbucker sound.  Quite useful.

Hi Gnik- yes I know Andy quite well. Met him when he brought 1/2 the original band out here in '85 and have since caught up with whenever we're in each other's country. I stayed with him a couple of years ago and got a tour of his beautiful place out in Wiltshire (Sting and Toyah Wilcox are neighbours). He sold a lot of his gear when things went belly-up on the home front in the early 80's but he's hung onto some very nice pieces and has since purchased a lot of other vintage stuff. I have seen/heard the ARP synth since they used for the start of Fox On The Run too. If you like you PM me the details of the Jennings I will email him and see what he can find out.

The Jennings AC40 in the photo is owned by Andy Scott from The Sweet (UK 70's band)- said amp was used to record a track called The Ballroom Blitz. He has a house full of amazing gear- best is his Gibson ES335. 

Interesting. You know this guy?

I remember watching The Sweet on Top of the Pops in UK as a kid.  I'll have to check out some You Tube to try & spot the amp. 

My Jennings is off for repair (the trem / vib effect has gone bung).  They are rare as.  I'd love to know the history behind my copy.

It sounds Voxy as you would expect, but the tone control is quite different - you can boost the tone to get a bell-like Fender sound, or cut the tone to get a boxier Humbucker sound.  Quite useful.

Hi Gnik- yes I know Andy quite well. Met him when he brought 1/2 the original band out here in '85 and have since caught up with whenever we're in each other's country. I stayed with him a couple of years ago and got a tour of his beautiful place out in Wiltshire (Sting and Toyah Wilcox are neighbours). He sold a lot of his gear when things went belly-up on the home front in the early 80's but he's hung onto some very nice pieces and has since purchased a lot of other vintage stuff. I have seen/heard the ARP synth since they used for the start of Fox On The Run too. If you like you PM me the details of the Jennings I will email him and see what he can find out.

Well you can't always choose your neighbours I guess!  What was that abomination by Toyah Wilcox?  Its a Mystery?  I had managed to successfully forget it until now...

Thanks for the offer re. Jennings.  Appreciate that.  I'll PM you when it gets back from repairs.

That silver jet is a thing of beauty! 

Sabian Paragons are my cymbal of choice though!

Yep, the Silver jet is special.  I played one of the 1990s re-issues the other day just for reference - it was very underwhelming despite being $2,700 2nd hand.

I feel like picking up a Fender.  Maybe a Telecaster.  Just started shopping around...

I have a 2011 American Deluxe Strat - Beautiful neck but has the n3 noiseless pickups in them. Nice enough, But I think I want to change them over. In any case, Strats are amazing. I've never been a Tele fan - sound great but I can't help but think they look ugly as sin.

I've been looking into the different variations within the Fender family: USA standard, USA special, USA Highway 1, USA deluxe, MIJ, CIJ, MIM, Vintage, Custom Shop etc.  Then there are the Nash Guitars options...

Bleeding overwhelming.  Back in the day it was a simple choice between Strat or Tele.

Not being an expert, do you think there is much difference in the USA models?  Is it worth hanging out for a 2nd hand Custom Shop?  Looks like these can be picked up <$2k if you are patient.

That silver jet is a thing of beauty! 

Sabian Paragons are my cymbal of choice though!

Yep, the Silver jet is special.  I played one of the 1990s re-issues the other day just for reference - it was very underwhelming despite being $2,700 2nd hand.

I feel like picking up a Fender.  Maybe a Telecaster.  Just started shopping around...

I have a 2011 American Deluxe Strat - Beautiful neck but has the n3 noiseless pickups in them. Nice enough, But I think I want to change them over. In any case, Strats are amazing. I've never been a Tele fan - sound great but I can't help but think they look ugly as sin.

I've been looking into the different variations within the Fender family: USA standard, USA special, USA Highway 1, USA deluxe, MIJ, CIJ, MIM, Vintage, Custom Shop etc.  Then there are the Nash Guitars options...

Bleeding overwhelming.  Back in the day it was a simple choice between Strat or Tele.

Not being an expert, do you think there is much difference in the USA models?  Is it worth hanging out for a 2nd hand Custom Shop?  Looks like these can be picked up <$2k if you are patient.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/resources/article/Stratocaster-Guitars-Buying-Guide/m710110

everything you need to know!

If I was buying a new Strat today, I’d look at the Highway One series and swap out the pickups. Like older vintage Fenders, the Highway One has a nitro finish which is good if you like the guitar to look worn over time (most others have a thick polyurethane finish). Also, some argue that a thinner finish lets the guitar ‘breathe’, improving the resonance/tone of the instrument. The Highway One are also pretty good value, and are the cheapest American made Fenders.

Second hand, the MIJ copies are of as good quality, if not better than their American counterparts. Plenty of value there.

If money was no option, there are plenty of high end options from the custom shop, but a vintage early 60s Strat would be nice!

Thanks for the pointers.

I'll enjoy working through the options & the thrill of the chase. 

Guitar dudes: what’s your opinion on the trend of the 99% accurate reproductions of superstar’s guitars? Mate of mine is thinking of getting a Vai Gem ‘Evo’ replica, as he’s a massive Vai fan.

Even though I don’t play there’s a part of me that still wants the EVH Frankenstein replica

Hell, I have a reproduction Brian May guitar! It doesn't mean I'll ever sound or play as good as him, but it's awesome to have.\\

Def grab a signature or tribute series if it's what you want.