My First Game

I was going to ask if that temperature was in absolute or Scottish terms.
But I just looked it up, and it was 20 degrees.

So I guess I’ve answered my own question.

20 degrees would see have this country spontaneously combust

1 Like

2 Likes

Round 10 or so, 1997.

MCG vs St Kilda, lost by four goals to the eventual grand finalists. It was a nasty day for us

Lloyd and Hird kicked four each
Austin Jones kicked a goal after about 10 bounces running from the wing
Michael Long, my favorite player at the time, was reported for having a go at Spider Everitt and did his knee again shortly after
Michael Symons took a hanger on the wing just below our seats

I think I was at that game. We were not expected to win; I think Barry Davis was the coach. Van der Haar was very young, and Timmy Watson, and a lot of great names. I think we led most of the day and never really got away from Hawthorn but kept our noses in front. Someone kicked a big goal just before half time – my recollection is Vander but I may be wrong. I remember it because we weren’t expected to win, but I had a feeling that we might. And we did.

1 Like

Me too.

1 Like

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Hawthorn+v+Essendon+1979+youtube&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:ed3d3a4e,vid:ChTJ8KF1CBE

That’s a link to a replay of the last quarter. Some great, great names in that game. Neale Daniher as well as Terry. Simon Madden. Max Crow. Ken Fletcher! Lesser known names like Stephen Robins, who was shifted into the forward line and kicked 3 or 4 in the last including the winner. Ian Marsh. Timmy Watson was on the bench. Alan Reid, who was a favourite of mine and played a good game that day. Heard kept getting called, but it was Shane Heard, not James Hird. Glenn Hawker. Well worth a watch, although the quality is pretty poor.

Remember Tim Watson saying a pre requisite for playing in our side that day was going into the game with a broken bone.

Pretty sure Vanda was one (shock horror emoji)

1 Like

I think I was at that game too, and I think it was Peter Somerville’s first game. I remember that he had been named as emergency (there was only one those days I think), and I was there for part of the reserves game and he wasn’t playing, and I thought to myself that he must have got the call-up for the firsts. And he really was best on ground. Marked everything. Kicked a goal. 19 disposals, which was a lot for a ruckman in those days. It looked like we’d found a real star, and I always thought he was actually a pretty good player, but he got a lot of stick from the fans for not being the best ruck in the league.

1 Like

First game I remember going to was Round 11 2004 vs Hawthorn -The Line in The Sand Game, as a 6 year old. Not sure if I had ever been before then. Remember nothing about the match, even the brawl except we saw some Hawks fans we knew.

My only venture to Waverley Park, and one of probably half a dozen times I went to the footy with Dad.

It was a bloody long way to get there, and a bloody long way to come home.

My grandparents lived in Springvale South, so it was go see them, then a short hop up the road to Waverly.

1 Like

Lions at the G 2019. Walla kicked 7. Lucked into some medallion seats. Brilliant day, sun shining. Bombers winning. Didn’t get to many more games but hopefully will again at some point.

1 Like

We loved Waverly.
Long way , my ■■■■! We would travel from Clematis to Windy Hill via hitchiking and public transport with a plastic bag full of UDL’s and beer.
I’m still dirty, there’s a bloody freeway that goes straight from the CBD to Wellington road.
My eyes couldn’t roll back any further right now.

CityLink didn’t exist when Waverly was used. Try coming from the Western Suburbs. Could be 2 hours.

My first game was somewhere in 91-92 vs Sydney at the MCG, night game. My younger brother was playing a grid game, my older brother umpiring it. We won (I’m pretty sure). That’s what I remember.

1993?

Our first H&A game vs the Bin Chickens at the MCG was in 1992, but it was a day game.

As a kid, Waverley was 2 trains and a bus from Lalor.

Fkn long day.
We did it though, many times.

True, the part between Toorak and Warrigal road wasn’t anyway.

Could be