Myanmar is free

Well, change here seemed like it moved at a glacial pace, but, with pressure & inducements from the world community, this military dictatorship regime has stepped off, & democracy is installed … at long last.

Maybe, little, by little, there’s hope for the rest of the planet yet.

Myanmar’s ruling party concedes defeat in general elections, official says
Updated 4 minutes ago

MAP: Burma
Myanmar’s ruling party has conceded defeat in the general elections, the party’s acting chairman says.

He said the government would accept the election results.

Earlier Nation League for Democracy party spokesman Win Htein said his party was on course to claim more than 70 per cent of seats.

The Election Commission has not officially confirmed the result.

More to come.

I was under the impression though that the military had a fixed number of seats that weren’t in the election to guarantee that no changes can be made to the constitution?

I was under the impression though that the military had a fixed number of seats that weren't in the election to guarantee that no changes can be made to the constitution?

Correct. Chnage may be coming but they are not “free” at all, just a fraction less limited. Still it is a first step in the right direction.

Better than it has been indeed.

Free of the Rohingya I take it?

Free of the Rohingya I take it?

Was going to say something similar.

For all of Aung Sung’s ‘freedom’ rhetoric, her party very deliberately purged itself of Rohingya candidates some months ago, in order to pander to the hard-line anti-Rohingya priests and voters. Time will tell on this one.

Sigh. Myanmar, where the peaceful, serene buddhists mercilessly persecute the Moslems. Just to remind you that being a murderous ■■■■■■■■ is completely independent of race, religion, or colour…

Myanmar is free…

…but only if you buy another Myanmar of greater or equal value.

Sound like it’s all about peceptions as usual. E.g. Everyone cracked the ■■■■■ at Frank Bananarama, so he says “ok we’ll finally hold this election”. Then Bananarama wins with a massive majority, and everyone says “look Fiji is “democratic” now, all good people.” Developped countries and US cronies only pretend to care. They couldn’t give a stuff.

Sound like it's all about peceptions as usual. E.g. Everyone cracked the ■■■■■ at Frank Bananarama, so he says "ok we'll finally hold this election". Then Bananarama wins with a massive majority, and everyone says "look Fiji is "democratic" now, all good people." Developped countries and US cronies only pretend to care. They couldn't give a stuff.

Do these countries have to be “democratic”?

Sound like it's all about peceptions as usual. E.g. Everyone cracked the ■■■■■ at Frank Bananarama, so he says "ok we'll finally hold this election". Then Bananarama wins with a massive majority, and everyone says "look Fiji is "democratic" now, all good people." Developped countries and US cronies only pretend to care. They couldn't give a stuff.

Democracy is often overrated, and even “free” elections give you turds as rulers, like Tony Abbott.

In my view some nations need a good old benevolent dictator who can stop corruption, get on with the massive health and education changes need and fashion a society that is fair to all, and ends the rule of the privileged few.

I helped build a Hospital in Yangoon many years ago, which was funded by the WHO. It was supposed to be a modern general hospital for all. We ended up with a great 80 bed hospital that was for the sole use of the ruling military elite.

I had the joy to meet Aung Sung, and she is an impressive person. She is a politician though and has learnt that unless you compromise with the military, you end up with nothing. Nothing is free in Myanmar.

My girlfriend’s parents got back from a holiday in Myanmar last night, and now I see this news.

This cannot be a coincidence. They are very persuasive people.

Myanmar is free...

…but only if you buy another Myanmar of greater or equal value.

If I read something funnier than this today, then it will be a good day indeed.

I’m starting to think Bacchus may have been the inspiration behind Forrest Gump.

I'm starting to think Bacchus may have been the inspiration behind Forrest Gump.

Hes kinda right, imagine how good broady would be if some despot took up residence.

I'm starting to think Bacchus may have been the inspiration behind Forrest Gump.

No Forest, just lots of Gump

No Forest, just lots of Grump

fixed

Thought this was about the Barcelona striker.

No Forest, just lots of Grump

fixed

Yep and now even more

Hes kinda right, imagine how good broady would be if some despot took up residence.

Eddie Maguire??

100% correct - Let these countries develop a political system that works for them - After all democracy is hardly perfect.