Nat Rat

Really sad to hear the news posted by the EFC a moment ago.

By all reports a ripper bloke, and a great and loyal servant to the club over his career, so glad to see the club is supporting him and his family at this time. 

Wishing him a quick and full recovery. 

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2013-11-19/nathan-lovettmurray-statement

<span style="font-size:24px;"><strong>Nathan Lovett-Murray statement</strong></span>

Essendon Football Club wishes to advise that Nathan Lovett-Murray voluntarily admitted himself in to a rehabilitation clinic last week.

Nathan has recently been working through a number of health issues and decided to seek treatment for an alcohol related problem.

The AFL Players‘ Association, Essendon Football Club and Nathan‘s management company continue to provide ongoing support to Nathan and his family.

Players‘ Association General Manager Player Relations, Ian Prendergast said it was important Nathan‘s privacy be respected during this time.

“This is a personal health issue and we would ask that Nathan‘s privacy be respected. The period after retiring from football can be difficult and the chance to recover without undue and damaging public scrutiny is important.

We have services available to offer assistance to Nathan and he has the continuing support of the Players‘ Association and the AFL community during this time.”

Essendon CEO Ray Gunston said the club had offered its full support to Nathan and his family.

“Our first priority is the health and welfare of Nathan,” Gunston said.

“We have been in contact with his family and offered our full support to help with his recovery.”

“It is important the media respect the privacy of Nathan and his family during this time – Essendon Football Club will be making no further comment,” Gunston said.

Nathan Lovett-Murray retired at the end of the 2013 season after 145 games with the Bombers. Nathan has been an important leader of indigenous players and a respected member of his community.

For more information about personal health issues visit http://www.headspace.org.au/

Very sad to read. Good to see that he is seeking help.

Hope he gets back on track soon.

They won’t go there will they? Surely.

fkn hell. Hope he is ok. Get well soon Nat Rat.

This sucks.

Get well Nat Rat, get around him everyone!

Great courage as always Nathan.

Work as hard as you did at footy and you will get through this. My absolute best wishes for a healthy future.

Big fan, he'll get through it.

good on him for taking the right steps.  I have so much respect for the way he goes about things.

1 Like

Agreed K.

good luck natrat. the supporters are with you. 

Faark.

Interesting that the club released a statement. Would've thought this is something that Nathan would've liked to have kept on the lowdown, particularly as most arms of the media are scum.

Regardless hope everything turns out ok for him.

I have battled the bottle all my life. 2 is too many, 12 not enough syndrome.

The cycle of addiction is short or long depending on circumstance, but it doesn't discriminate irrespective of socio-economic status.

It's fantastic that his 'giving' nature is what will ensure he has a s much support as possible to break the cycle.

All the best, Nathan... our thoughts will be with you.

Geez... 2013 couldn't end fast enough.  Tough year for Nathan - stabbing, retirement, now this.... and a MEGA Annus Horribilis for EFC.

Surprised that it is so public. A bit of privacy wouldn’t hurt at times like this.

Good luck to him. By all accounts a top fellow.

Good luck to Nat-Rat. Super bloke and have always been a big fan of his.

yeah, my thoughts were why is this being made public?

best of luck to him, ripper bloke

Good to see the club is giving him the support he needs. Won't be long before he is kicking goals with both feet again.