NBA 2018/19 Ben Simmons is ROTY. MEGA THREAD!

Rookie seasons

LeBron James

20.9 points, 5.5 rebounds, 5.9 assists, 1.6 steals, 0.7 blocks per game; 41.7% FG, 29% 3-pt FG, 75.4% FT

Ben Simmons

16.6 points, 7.7 rebounds, 7.4 assists, 1.8 steals, 0.9 blocks per game; 53.3% FG, N/A 3-pt FG, 57.1% FT

Simmons and Giannis I donā€™t have such a problem with, even though they both have a long way to go.

I feel like Porzingis is quite definitely a step below the best of his age group, let alone the LBJ class.

Iā€™m basing it on the fact that he 7 foot guys take longer

Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d take Walton out. What he did in the year Portland won their only professional sports championship (unless Iā€™m mistaken) was unbelievable.
Probably wouldnā€™t drop Earl Monroe. He and Walt Frazier pretty much made New York basketball.
The others are fair.

I probably left out Paul Pierce as well. I think he was so overshadowed to by KG.
I wouldnā€™t know who else to take out given half were in their prime before I was born.

Krystaps? Cmon ben, lol

Best put Dragan Bender in, too.

1 Like

Nostrapoonmus with the big cavs bet win for conference finals. 2 bucks for ecf finals EZ

1 Like

Is a great question, I reckon thatā€™s why you need people from lots of generations when youā€™re doing this stuffā€¦ and facilitate the argument.

Kim Jong Il had Tiger covered.

2 Likes

TMac? Ray ray? Vince Carter?

I feel like the constant wanking over Jordan v LBJ overshadows the 2000s class. Which was fkg good: 10 of the top 25 scorers in history were in the league at the same time in the mid 00s, and that still leaves out TMac, Gasol, and Wade, Melo and Jamison, all up around 20k or more.

FYI Jordanā€™s era only had about 7 from that list.

If the Lakers draft the younger Antetokoumpo then add him to the list too, otherwise he is a bust that only got picked because of his brother.

TMac and Carter wouldnā€™t be near it. Close but, Iā€™d put Dominique Wilkins in before those two.
Ray Allen is a fair overlook.

The game was vastly different in the 90s than it was in the 2000s. less genuine centres and changing of the rules made it easier to get to the basket.

1 Like

Waltonā€™s one season was amazing, but injuries ruined him, by the time he was with the Celtics he was a cripple coming off the bench, still very good but not a shadow of who he was.

I just think body of work is what gets him bumped in favor of guys particularly Duncan and Dirk.

Out of my list of droppees I think Wes Unseld is probably the most stiff. Hardly anyone knows who he was unless you are a bullets/wizards fan but he was a 6ā€™7 Center who would go toe to toe with Wilt and Kareem and shut them down. Got a title for Washington too. Incredibly strong

1 Like

Iā€™m willing to wait on him. Guys who are 7ā€™3, can put the ball on the floor and are in range from 30 feet donā€™t come along ā€¦ ever

He is 100% a generational talent and if you canā€™t see that youā€™re blind.

Dragen Bender?? I would not accept Phoenixs whole roster in exchange for KP

Itā€™s ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  hard to lead a team in the modern NBA from the post.

Only Anthony Davis does it atm

2 Likes

Exactly, Ray is great. But he is just a jumpshooter who never really lead a team. With that being said he has hit some amazingly big shots in his career

Melo has been declining from the peak he never really reached for years.

All those guys in the 50 and just outside it were the cornerstones of their teams and had success, that makes guys like Tmac, Vince, Dominique unlucky omissions but at the end of the day you can only have 50 in there.

Iā€™d also throw in an outsider into the discussion no one has mentioned yet, that has a lot more titles than a lot of that list, also achieved the impossible internationally and made the euro step envogue in the NBA and still one of the greatest passing wings Iā€™ve ever seen.

Manu Ginobili

He is divisive but I think he is probably the Pippen to Duncanā€™s Jordan.

1 Like

Jordanā€™s era was one of the lowest scoring in history tooā€¦ pace was down and defense was downright nasty. Someone does pace adjusted stats, canā€™t eemember who

1 Like

Hereā€™s a summary: https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2evk1i/nba_major_statistical_leaders_adjusted_for_pace/

Just shows how far ahead of the pack Jordan was as a scorer

I think itā€™s easy to get caught up in the modern era of any sport and think itā€™s produced the best players

Itā€™s kind of like having a Buddy vs Coleman debate

2 Likes

Except that only noonan and AT have seen Coleman play.

4 Likes