Netflix - recommend me a good movie/TV series

I’m a jazz fan and I was at a loose end the other night and decided to watch something I’d known about but was avoiding, namely “I Called Him Morgan”. I’d been avoiding it because I thought I knew the story, 15 year old hard bop wunderkind Lee Morgan reaches the jazz pinnacle in the 50s and then succumbs to the drug scene but manages to reinvigorate himself and his art and is on the verge of a creative second wave in the 70s when he is shot by the proverbial jealous woman. Oldest story in the book, right? WRONG. If you’re looking for an evocative documentary full of great music and wonderful images and sharp editing and pace, look no further. But what made this resonate with me was the voice of the woman captured on tape exposing the reality of the myth.
Lee Morgan was a wonderful muso but he was an ahole when it counted at the end.
Lesson: Don’t humiliate the partner who has given you a new life when you have already given her a gun to “protect herself”.
PS Most surprising thing was Morgan was only 33 when he died, he looked and it seemed like he was at least 10 years older.

I really enjoyed Ash vs Evil Dead, previously watched by nobody on Stan. It’s totally fun lightweight gore without a hint of seriousness. Bruce Campbell as a sexist, racist 80s throwback and the supporting cast are great. Damien Garvey aka Cal McGregor makes a brief appearance.

2 Likes

Awesome Series!!

Stranger Things
Shooter
Bates Motel
Sinner
Van Helsing
Black Summer
Ozark

All good series

The End of The F#$&ing World is quite an entertaining short series.

2 Likes

Yep, very enjoyable watch.

1 Like

Is season 2 worth a go?

Yep, it’s good.
Won’t take long either.
Binge watchable for sure.

3 Likes

Godless is pretty good too.
And A Series of Unfortunate Events, quite a good adaptation of the books.

Perpetual Grace on Stan

A dude hires a dude to take his identity and swindle first dude’s crooked parents

Two episodes in, I don’t quite know what’s going on yet, but I like it. The parents are played by Ben Kingsley and Jacki Weaver, I’m entranced any time Ben Kingsley is on screen.

Luis Guzman and Jimmi Simpson are in it too.

Somebody feed Phil - a travelogue food show with the writer of Everybody Loves Raymond.

If you like nice feel good shows, give it a go.

It has that American Jewish humour that makes it lovely.

Yeah, I gave that a watch. Not bad, despite a bit of an overdone incredulous finale.

Dumb fun, but I’m enjoying Ash vs Evil Dead.
Helps if you’ve seen the first two movies.
It feels like they’ve kind of uncanonised the third one.

Ballad of Buster Scruggs.
The Highwaymen.
2 good films, one weird one supposedly true.

Let it snow

Unbelievable and enjoyed Atypical .

1 Like

Tis great fun. Saved me from the boredom of a couple of plane flights.

Helps but definitely not necessary. I enjoyed it without having seen any of the movies.

1 Like

I haven’t been following this thread and these have probably been mentioned before, so apologies if I’m repeating what everyone knows.

Big Little Lies (HBO, not Netflix). I really liked the book and I liked the first season on TV, which followed the book quite closely up to the end (apart from transplanting everything to California).

The Crown. Started watching Series 3 but gave up in disgust after a ludicrous episode in which Prince Philip has a mid-life crisis for which there is zero evidence in fact.

Unbelievable with Toni Collette. At one level just another crime show, but incredibly well done. I’m about halfway through Series 1.

We just hooked up Netflix last month so I’ve been adding tonnes of stuff to my list but work has stopped me watching too much so far. I finished After Life and enjoyed it. Been mostly watching stand up comedy specials.

The Irishman has just dropped, so I’m looking forward to that.