New Blockbuster - Country Game vs Geelong Round 4 (thanks to Sheeds)

Essendon and Geelong will celebrate and recognise the incredible contribution of regional communities to Australia when they clash in the inaugural ‘Country Game’ at the MCG in Round 4 next season.

The fixture is set to become the next big blockbuster on the AFL calendar with a number of exciting initiatives and activities planned to support the event.

In the build up to the match, footy fans will be given the opportunity to enjoy a taste of the country in the City, with plans underway to transform the Yarra Park precinct into a country festival prior to the game.

The festival will include a live concert, farmers market, field shows, and many more activities celebrating ‘life on the land.’

Essendon great, Kevin Sheedy, came up with the concept while touring regional Australia.

“The ‘Country Game’ was born out of a very simple concept, celebrate the great people who keep our country going,” Sheedy said.

“The people across regional Australia don’t get enough recognition for their tireless work, and we should celebrate the history of agriculture and farming to Australia’s economy, as well as the people who live and work in these regional towns.

“Country and regional towns have also made a massive contribution to our game. Some of the competitions’ greatest players grew up kicking a sherrin on the various dairy farms, sheep stations and dusty towns at the back of nowhere.

“I have no doubt this could be the next big blockbuster game on the AFL calendar. Round 4, Saturday night, MCG is about saying thanks to those tiny towns across Australia who ‘punch above their weight’, a full MCG would send a very powerful message to those on the land who are doing it tough.”

CEO, Xavier Campbell, said the ‘Country Game’ will also help raise vital awareness into issues facing regional Australia.

“Kevin has worked tirelessly to bring this fixture to life and I think it’s a fantastic way to celebrate the significant contribution country and regional towns make to the AFL and the Australian way of life,” Campbell said.

“Essendon Football Club understands the power football plays in educating society across a variety of national issues and history. It’s important we remember our nation was built on primary industry.

“We currently play on ANZAC Day and Dreamtime at the ‘G, so to add the ‘Country Game’ is an honour and one we believe will help raise vital awareness for the issues facing rural and regional Australia.

“The birth of the ‘Country Game’ wouldn’t have been possible without the cooperation and support of the Geelong Football Club and we’d like to personally thank Colin Carter and Brian Cook for buying into this exciting initiative.”

In addition to the ‘Country Game’, Essendon and Geelong will also play a NAB Cup match in a different regional town each year. Shepparton will host the 2016 instalment on Saturday 5 March.

Further information surrounding the NAB Cup fixture in Shepparton and ‘Country Game’ in Round 4 at the MCG will be communicated in due course.

In: Neagle

Sheeds at his best

Well done Unca Kev.

I christen it, “Country Week”.The rural folk here will know the relevance.

We’re just about at ‘blockbuster game’ saturation point.

We're just about at 'blockbuster game' saturation point.

There’s still 20 new “blockbuster games” to go before that happens

Last time we played the Cats at the G our forward line looked a little like this:

CHF: GUMB
FF: NEAGLE

Love the idea, great work. We are suddenly the flavour of the month at AFL house, Gil realises how much money we bring to the table

when was the last time we played geelong at the MCG? would it be the neagle play on game in 2010?

Love the idea, great work. We are suddenly the flavour of the month at AFL house, Gil realises how much money we bring to the table

Good idea until we get smacked by Geelong like we usually do grrrr
Nah, props Sheeds.

when was the last time we played geelong at the MCG? would it be the neagle play on game in 2010?

Yep

I just hope we don’t treat it like a finals game.

…Or a milestone game

If we go in 0-3 it will be a mini final in April.

The amount of ■■■■■■■■ from minnow club supporters is very amusing.

Love ya Sheeds.

Apparently the AFL are giving Geelong an extra home game at Skilled Stadium next year and we’re playing there.

Sheedy has already earnt his wage by setting up this game - He’s a legend.

Apparently the AFL are giving Geelong an extra home game at Skilled Stadium next year and we're playing there.

Please tell me your joking!