New Board Member - Dorothy Hisgrove

Well having all “Essendon” people on the board for the last 20 years has not been great!

6 Likes

I’m not opposed to having non essendon people on the board. My only question is what is the motivation for hisgrove to join the board? Why does she want to do it?

3 Likes

Memberships will be called season tickets soon

1 Like

For insta likes.

Yeah, I really can’t find the will to care too much about this. Influence of boards in professional sport is vastly overstated.

2 Likes

I think appointing a non essendon person is excellent. there’s too many jobs for “the boys” at our club (sheedy appointment was laughable, imo)

a non essendon person on the board will provide balance and a unbiased view

9 Likes

to white-ant us from within and lead us to total collapse, obviously

3 Likes

Finally.

I’m not as furious as others, regarding having someone on the board who isn’t an Essendon supporter.

But the fact we keep appointing more non-elected members to the board is an absolute farce. The current board needs a reality check, regarding the fact the club is owned by the members.

We’re slowly moving down the Collingwood route… I guarantee you, we don’t want to be there.

4 Likes

Maybe next time they could unilaterally appoint a board member/representative from the Tiwis/WA

1 Like

I had a supervisor once tell me that a three-to-five year estimate for something like this often just means “we’ve thought about it, and in theory it could be done, but that is about it”.

I didn’t mind Sheedy’s appointment, it was at a time when members were questioning the club for ignoring it’s roots and becoming too corporate and too apologetic to the AFL, towing the line too much, etc. Players were leaving and members wanted to be assured we were still Essendon, and we knew Sheedy would speak up and call out any bullsht.

I also don’t mind the Hisgrove appointment, for the reasons you outlined above. I’m sure plenty of meetings at the club can be a bit of a circle-jerk where nobody wants to admit something embarrassing has happened or that we haven’t achieved any success… hopefully she will call it as she sees it, though maybe she will be marginalised for previously supporting the pies, who knows.

She does seem to bring valuable experience in managing programs to combat racism and increase diversity and improve culture, etc.

People complaining about the timing of the announcement, as though they are sweeping it under the carpet are delusional pessimists.

Announcing it just before a game, by notifying every member on their mobile, when every member is basically in the same room together (i.e., Marvel Stadium, either in their seats or at the club functions), would be an extremely poor attempt at limiting discussion…

Is she actually any good? That’s what matters.

Happy to overlook her being a Pies fan if she helps us get a flag. Also, how much of a pies fan is she? If she’s a diehard, then yeah, I could see how that raises eyebrows but perhaps she a mere casual observer that has just nominated Collingwood as her club of choice because that’s who her dad supports.

2 Likes

Interesting timing isn’t it.

It’s like they just can’t help themselves.

1 Like

I think it matters that the board represents the choice of members, whether that be idiots voting in past players like premiership experience = managing a company, idc its our bed to ■■■■ in, not some appointee with nothing invested in the club

1 Like

I have always thought you appoint the best person for the job and while all that corporate experience is fine, I look at the Board and wonder who represents us Members and Supporters.

Being on a Board at a footy club is about giving back to the Team you support and making sure that the vision for the future success is in place. It is about passion, enthusiasm and seeking success. It is not a paid position, so why does a Collingwood volunteer; what is she getting out of it.

Which one of these person stands out as someone who has the Members and Supporters best interests in the front of their mind ?

Paul Brasher
Peter Allen
Dave Barham
Melissa Green
Sean Wellman
Simon Madden
Andrew Muir
Kate O’Sullivan
Kevin Sheedy
Dorothy Hisgrove

I would like to say Sheeds does, as his record shows his passion for the game and its people, but the rest are a mixture of big corporations and two ex-players.

4 Likes

I think there is a place for non elected members. The EFC constitution allows for a certain number of them and their time in the seat is limited - eventually they need to go through the election process.

Advantages:
Ability to recruit someone with an appropriate skill set
Doesn’t result in a board full of unqualified ex players, as reality is members will vote for them first.
Doesn’t require an election and associated costs each time there is a board member resign etc.

Disadvantages
Jobs for the boys risk. Should be somewhat mitigated by requiring board majority.

For mine, the pro’s outweigh the cons.

2 Likes

The Cons are, the members have their right to vote slowly ripped away.

We are slowly moving towards a Collingwood Model, where there are no elected Board members.

The 2 elected board member seats are simply a tokenistic gesture. Especially when the President is asking his people to run for those seats. It is stacked so the members have no other options.

After the last 20 years (especially recently) there is every reason why we should be weary of the way this club is run.

2 Likes

you know that changes can’t be made to the constitution unless it’s passed by 75% of voters at a annual or requisitioned general meeting?

the board can’t, like, just change that themselves. there’s no “slowly moving” about it.

3 Likes

:face_vomiting: