New Board Member - Dorothy Hisgrove

Wait a minute - she’s replacing Tanner?

Fantastic.

the name sounds like something from an Agatha Christie novel

1 Like

I reckon if you have been on BBlitz long enough it is obvious that there are some very diverse opinions and many very good ideas with regards to footy and adminstration of the Club. The only preconceived assumptions are blokes like me who think we can win the flag every year, hence I would be a crap EFC Director.

While I am supportive of the Board, it is mostly due to the passion and dedication that all Directors that I have known show and there are many other passionate supporters out there who are talented, brave and ready to contribute. The whole process is flawed, and with a Board of 10 only 1 or 2 should be Board appointed and rest should be elected by Members.

Many on BBlitz ( in the Politics thread ) keep telling me that being PM of this Country is a popularity contest and Labor needs a charismatic person to lead it to victory. If we use the same standard at EFC then I have no issue with a Board full of popular people, as at least they will crave the same success that most of us do, and maybe not settle for good fiscal management over on-field dominance.

I can tell you that for a fact Essendon is still not inclusive. St. Kilda is the only club that I would say is close to fully inclusive - for deaf and hard of hearing people, anyway.

1 Like

What are the lessons from St Kilda in regard to the deaf and hard of hearing that the EFC could take up ?

2 Likes

If any of the clubs like GWS, Gold Coast etc succumb to private ownership, then I’m OK with that, but not to traditional membership clubs.

Turn down the noise at Etihad.

5 Likes

The thing about Private Ownership, it will start with Gold Coast & GWS… eventually other smaller clubs will succumb to the pressure, like Brisbane, Sydney, St. Kilda & North Melbourne.

Then the pressure will come for the big clubs… especially if one of the clubs with Private Ownership win a premiership & the AFL want it to happen.

You’ll start to see the big clubs topple. Especially with a new generation of supporters watching the EPL & American sports, and it’s become glorified that clubs with wealthy owners and can buy success.

Not hard to see why they would make this one an “Appointment” judging by a lot of the ignorant comments in here regarding Non EFC supporters …

Collingwood had a board position open for a female did Dorothy get looked over for it?

Especially for dwarves and school girls

St kilda have subtitles on the big screens for quarter and half time entertainment at their home games and they have an interpreter alongside the presenter.

Outside of match day, all they need to do is to ensure all the videos are captioned. I’ve been telling them for years and years to do something about this. I made another complaint two weeks ago by calling them, and they said they would have the membership manager (I’m a paid up member) get in touch with me. But yeah, still nothing from them.

It also took them forever to put the auto generated captions on in YouTube videos (it’s not great as it is never 100% accurate but I’ll take any captioned content I can get), after repeatedly asking them for years to do it.

8 Likes

Hardly a function of the membership manager. Who is in charge of diversity and inclusion?

1 Like

But its not two elected. It is 6 of 10.

1 Like

I don’t know and I’ve had a quick look at LinkedIn, it wasn’t much of help - maybe Belinda Reid as her job is titled head of people? I’ve even tried to contact Kate Lio to no avail.

I’d imagine the role of the membership manager here is to ascertain the issue, how it should be rectified, and then run it up the flagpole to the parties who can rectify it.

I cannot imagine it’s that difficult to ensure all videos are fully captioned. But even if it is, I think it’s something the club should commit to doing.

1 Like

EFC appears to have deleted its staff list from its website. You could always go higher, like the new Board Member.

1 Like

Coaches and CEOs move clubs and no one has an issue. Same people complaining would have Neil Balme here in a heartbeat.

As long as she is qualified for the job, that’s all that matters. We’ve tried the retired player thing. This is a nice new direction.

2 Likes

Not sure if working for the pies would have looked good on her resume!

How many of the current board members have been elected by the Members?

1 Like