New Book 'We Are Essendon'

Does Tiffany get a run?

Is Chapter 10. Darren Bewick?

Any pictures, and are they in colour?

If the book is targeted to Essendon supporters and bomber blitz members in general, the pictures will need to be coloured in themselves

Any pictures, and are they in colour?

Yeah colour pics mate

I’d like to share a personal story. My son, now 14yo, had the best years of his life robbed by the saga. Instead of dreaming about Jobe or Hep, or whoever his football heroes may have been, he thinks of drugs, needles and ASADA. In his final 2 years of primary school, he was the only Bomber supporter left in his whole year level - all other kids left and barracked for other teams. Last season, he’d lost interest in football entirely. And this upcoming season, despite my efforts to get him excited, I can tell he’s only showing mild excitement for me. 4 years of media persecution is a long time when you’re 10.
Yes, this is a business. But even Gil, Andrew and Mike were kids once. I don’t care … I’m an adult and can deal with it. But a lot of Bomber kids have had their football childhood robbed. And you don’t get it back. F* you Afl/govt/ASADA.

2 Likes

I’ve got a few questions…
Was anything edited out from what you wanted in the book (excluding swear words, etc.)?
We’re you restricted in any way from mentioning the AFL, Essendon Football Club, etc.? Were there any ‘trademark’ issues?

Somewhere in the book, there must be a reference to Fark Carlton.

I'd like to share a personal story. My son, now 14yo, had the best years of his life robbed by the saga. Instead of dreaming about Jobe or Hep, or whoever his football heroes may have been, he thinks of drugs, needles and ASADA. In his final 2 years of primary school, he was the only Bomber supporter left in his whole year level - all other kids left and barracked for other teams. Last season, he'd lost interest in football entirely. And this upcoming season, despite my efforts to get him excited, I can tell he's only showing mild excitement for me. 4 years of media persecution is a long time when you're 10. Yes, this is a business. But even Gil, Andrew and Mike were kids once. I don't care .. I'm an adult and can deal with it. But a lot of Bomber kids have had their football childhood robbed. And you don't get it back. F* you Afl/govt/ASADA.

I remember talking about this hidden cost back in 2014. I noticed at my sons Auskick that the amount of kids in EFC jumpers was falling & also at his school footy days there were hardly any kids in red & black. How many of those kids are lost to the EFC forever? How many would have become members, taken their kids to the footy when they grow up etc. This could very easily see us lose a near generation of supporters.

Great effort Rick, well done

Please tell me you copied and pasted the best bits of people’s hearts breaking and people’s heads exploding on here in the many MANY saga threads since 2013

Please tell me you copied and pasted the best bits of people's hearts breaking and people's heads exploding on here in the many MANY saga threads since 2013

and BLTN’s salami story.

I'd like to share a personal story. My son, now 14yo, had the best years of his life robbed by the saga. Instead of dreaming about Jobe or Hep, or whoever his football heroes may have been, he thinks of drugs, needles and ASADA. In his final 2 years of primary school, he was the only Bomber supporter left in his whole year level - all other kids left and barracked for other teams. Last season, he'd lost interest in football entirely. And this upcoming season, despite my efforts to get him excited, I can tell he's only showing mild excitement for me. 4 years of media persecution is a long time when you're 10. Yes, this is a business. But even Gil, Andrew and Mike were kids once. I don't care .. I'm an adult and can deal with it. But a lot of Bomber kids have had their football childhood robbed. And you don't get it back. F* you Afl/govt/ASADA.

No, you’ve been robbed too.
The experience of watching and going to games with your son, witnessing his joy, singing the song with him. Talking about the game the next day, etc…

You’ve been robbed as many of us have.

Is it a ‘1st world problem?’ Sure.

But for so many people, football is their escape from the tougher aspects of life.

I dearly hope your son recaptured his psssion, I know a few wins on the board will do that!

Rick’s a nice guy - modest and unassuming. I’m sure his book will be a good read and somewhat different from other footy books we have seen.

Rick's a nice guy - modest and unassuming. I'm sure his book will be a good read and somewhat different from other footy books we have seen.

Thanks Jackie!

Rick's a nice guy - modest and unassuming. I'm sure his book will be a good read and somewhat different from other footy books we have seen.

Thanks Jackie!

I pre ordered your book, looking forward to reading it.

Great effort Rick, well done

Thank you, mate!

Thanks Jackie!

That’s great to hear, thanks Miss Ellie!

Thanks Jackie!

That’s great to hear, thanks Miss Ellie!

Can I we all borrow it when you’re done?

:wink:

Thanks Jackie!

me too.

I look forward to the read. We are the forgotten people in all of this to a degree. Understandably the players have to be the #1 focus, after all, they have unfairly worn the brunt of all of this as we have continued on with our lives. But the ridicule we have been subjected to by opposition supporters for having the gall to support our team in our darkest hour, the opportunity to watch our team thrive in the finals and like some others have mentioned, the opportunities for our kids to watch their team be successful have all been ripped away by this whole mess. I remember a time when my whole week was based around Bombers next game, whereas now its a much less significant part of my life.

I look forward to the read. We are the forgotten people in all of this to a degree. Understandably the players have to be the #1 focus, after all, they have unfairly worn the brunt of all of this as we have continued on with our lives. But the ridicule we have been subjected to by opposition supporters for having the gall to support our team in our darkest hour, the opportunity to watch our team thrive in the finals and like some others have mentioned, the opportunities for our kids to watch their team be successful have all been ripped away by this whole mess. I remember a time when my whole week was based around Bombers next game, whereas now its a much less significant part of my life.
The players certainly dealt the shittiest hand and the book covers that too. But yes no one knows what it's like to have been in our shoes. Like you say, looking forward to the weekend's game. For first time since 2012 I'll go to games without worrying about the saga.