New Gold Coast Concessions

That’s actually a good point. If they were known to have the best facilities, that’s one less excuse to leave.

I see it as a lack of confidence from the AFL that GC will survive. Therefore not invest any real $$$ into them.

Seriously this is just a farce. Fark Carlton to all hell but at round 17 this year GC had won more games than them over the last 5 years yet rightly no concessions for FC. Its cheating plain & simple. GC should continue to be the basket case its become of its own efforts & if need be fold. The AFL should have no business propping them up at the expense of every other club. No other professional sport in the world has the administrators of the game so active in designing & controlling the outcomes. It shouldn’t pass the test to qualify to be gambled on. Imagine the VRC had weighted Prince of Penzance 10kg lighter than every other horse simply to promote racing to women - would that have been ok? What if at the next cricket world cup the Aussies have to give some countries a 150 run head start to promote the game to Canada & Afghanistan etc would that be accepted - would India accept those conditions? Its sports entertainment these days, not a competition.

7 Likes

Fold and die … fuckk the Suns

Imagine being the best and most talented kids in the country, working your ■■■ off to get to be drafted in to the afl, only to be drafted by the gold coast suns. its not just unfair for the competition. its unfair for them.

theyre basically having their footy development hampered by staying up there for 2+ years and then get shamed by their teammates and staff for wanting to leave the sh*thole as well.

3 Likes

Why should he go cheaply to FCFC when last year they would not agree to a deal with us? FFS!

i think part of it was that we had to focus on facilitating a trade for shiel

The way I recalled it was that GCS were happy trading away some of their best players to other clubs (and quite cheaply at that) but refused any discussion with us about Martin.

thats how they start every every deal though. they posture more than any club because theyre the most frightened to lose any of their players. they know they cant compete with other footy departments so they have to talk tough.

The concessions will do nothing. It’s the structures around the club that need fixing - better facilities. And the market is tough.

Sh-t club, no fans.

GCS facilities were vastly improved through grants and Commonwealth Games developments.
But is the demise of NT Thunder connected to AFL help to GCS?

They won’t ever get the supporters.
The ground is Ok, the access is Ok, but people have better things to do. Half the Gold Coast population come from soewhere else so already either have an AFL team or follow a different code. So theyre not going to follow the suns.
The pensioner contingent cant be bothered going they would rather watch on TV.
Kids are too busy swimming surfing water skiing dragon boating to go to watch a football match.
The AFL will be propping up the club until it folds.

2 Likes

I’m tired of being the traditional-team cash cow that gets milked to fund efforts to convince people in far flung locations that don’t follow our game that they should follow our game.

Expansion has brought me no benefits whatsoever…it just continues to be a massive irritation to my experience of following the game.

10 Likes

■■■■■■■ afl… they are ruining the competition. All the money and ‘compensation’ to made up clubs so that they can manufacture some kind of ‘state rivalry’ between clubs in non (afl) traditional states. In doing so they have made the competition even more unfair on a number of fronts… Draft picks, financial input and… one that really annoys me… the draw (fixture). It’s bullshit.
Why the ■■■■ didn’t they set up a team in Tasmania? They would have got more supporters. But they’re not really interested in supporters… They just paint the seats all different colours so it looks like there are people at the ground. All ■■■■■■■ smoke and mirrors!

1 Like

They are not an embarrassment in the making money stakes. Take it to the bank.

What is the point of this league anymore?

Blunt pencil.

Doesn’t matter how many talented young kids they get, they will all be taken by other clubs within 3 years

3 Likes