New Gold Coast Concessions

images

6 Likes

I think the events are connected.

1 Like

With Gold Coast getting a few nominations as club of choice for trades, AFL could have waited to see what the wash up of the trade/draft period was before deciding on concessions.

1 Like

I don’t think they’re too worried about over correcting. Probably need four flags in a row before it became a concern.

They can’t really do that if they want the GC to use some of their priority picks to trade experienced players in.

Suns will pass us within the next 3 years.

2 Likes

If it involves funding of any kind - moola the green folding stuff - probably.

Suns seal first Darwin signing with exciting talent locked in

Michael Whiting

Malcolm Rosas Jnr has officially joined the Suns

GOLD Coast has signed the first player from its new Darwin Academy zone by locking away speedy small forward Malcolm Rosas Jnr.

As flagged by AFL.com.au last week, he has signed a two-year deal.

The 18-year-old spent the year playing for the Allies and Northern Territory Academy teams before finishing the year with five games for the NT Thunder in the NEAFL.

“Many people in the Northern Territory have put a lot of time and effort into getting me to this position and I can’t thank them enough,” Rosas said.

“I’m looking forward to putting my head down and working hard to make the NT proud.”

As part of the assistance package handed to Gold Coast by the AFL last month, it was given Darwin as part of its Academy zone and granted the opportunity to pre-sign players from that region before the draft without having to bid for them.

Rosas impressed during the NAB AFL Draft Combine, finishing third overall in the 20m sprint (running 2.92 seconds) and recorded a strong 6:33 minutes in the 2km time trial.

Can’t wait for the Suns to demand 2 first-round picks for him after he requests to be traded at the end of his first two years (for 2 goals from 4 games averaging 7.2 disposals).

Now that GC can now have 10 Rookies…I never saw any mention of an increased salary cap to pay for them…what is the go??

Nah, don’t worry about that. The AFL will sort that out if and when it gets questioned in the media.

Governance, yawl!

2 Likes

I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you rounded-to-even there.

I’m so excited for the fixture announcement coverage I could even make ■■■■ up properly.

You couldn’t?

Twice?

Don’t make me furious. My post-fixture euphoria has worn off.

1 Like

Minimum payments to rookies are outside the cap.

Gold Coast need to fold these new concessions won’t do jack the club is rooted from the very beginning

2 Likes

The issue Gold Coast face is there are few viable post-footy career options for players that aren’t real estate. No one can picture themselves living there in their 30s.

The AFL/club (one and the same lol) need to look at local career pathways out of the game to be viewed as anything other than a “yeah I’ll go for a couple of years and some cash then head home” option.

Surely, the Suns must be on their last chance. Even the AFL will eventually have to admit they got it horribly wrong and give up. But; until then, they’ll keep burning money like its going out of fashion.

1 Like