New Olympic Sports

A lot of athletes value the World Championships over the Olympics anyway.
Definitely hard to win those than the Olympics where there’s caps on athletes from certain countries etc.

1 Like

i feel a lot of people just really miss it’s a knockout

-edit- something i learned in youtube comments a while back was that show was really popular in argentina, of all places

4 Likes

I present to you…

2 Likes

In which sports though? For some sports the Olympics is the pinnacle, for others it’s a sideshow.

Most athletics, weightlifting, swimming.
Then there’s sports like basketball where an NBA championship (or pay packet) would be valued over a gold medal by a lot of athletes.

Aussie rules football has already been played at an olympics, obviously here in Melbourne…but I love that there was a flag pole in the field of play that could not be moved for the game.

Condition of the playing areaEdit

Players had to deal with the various hazards on the ground left over from previous events, chiefly the Olympic flagpole. The 50-foot structure was to be left standing until the conclusion of the closing ceremony as part of Games protocol, despite the fact that it sat awkwardly in the forward pocket, well in from the boundary line.[33][19] The plinthinstalled for the inside lane of the running track also posed problems for the footballers, who were at risk of tripping if they did not identify the sharp rise in height of the surface.[13]

2 Likes

I don’t accept that world champs are more meaningful for athletics.

I have no idea about weightlifting or swimming.

You can file basketball with golf and tennis where they have obvious bigger ambitions.

3 ball games they should add to the Olympics:
Dodge ball
Paint ball
Roller ball

1 Like

they are all under 15, so yep very interesting!

1 Like
1 Like

Isn’t pot smoking exempt for skaters and snowboarders? It’s previously been found to not be performance enhancing; they just like it.

Paintball with go pros on contestants heads for footage would make good television.

(As well as big brother style cctv)

i’ve seen televised paintball comps

it is, uh, really sht to watch

1 Like

Two out of three ain’t bad.

After careful consideration, I think $ex should be an Olympic sport. I mean… it’s very watchable and it sells.

The list of events is awesome.

Plunge for distance.
Plain high dive.
Springboard.
Platform.
Freestyle.
Breaststroke.
Backstroke.
Synchronized.
Slalom.
Mountain biking.
Floor exercise.
Horizontal bar.
Parallel bars.
Pommel horse.
Rings.
Balance beam.
Vault.
All-around individual.
All-around team.
Dressage.
Eventing.
Jumping.
Freestyle wrestling.
Softball.
Boxing.
Football.
Handball.
Shooting.
Climbing.
One hand lift.
Clean and jerk.
$natch.
All-around dumbbell.
Two hand lift.
Clean and press.
Military press.
Tug of war.

Then there’s the:

Sprint.
Middle distance.
Long distance.
Marathon.
Steeple chase.
Relays.
Long jump.
Triple jump.
Shot put.
Hammer throw.
Javelin throw.
Pole vault.

Hell, you’d even award a medal for the neatest correct entry.

In some cases this is definitely the case - As Eastie Boi states in some sports the best athletes are unable to gain places because of entry caps.

1 Like

Why bother with paint when you have archers and shooters at the ■■■■■■■ games. Battle Royale. Last standing wins. no participation medals

The one advantage the Olympics has in terms of prestige is the fact that you’re representing your country.
But yeah, absolutely harder to win a world championship in athletes, swimming etc than an Olympic medal.

Weightlifting is the best example I can think of. More than half the athletes in the Olympics wouldn’t even qualify for world champs.

edit
On the topic of skateboarding - it’ll be similar to my example above.
Most of the best skaters have zero intention of competing at the Olympics.

1 Like

Why would they want to smoke pot? They’re already on ice.

1 Like

I understand that, but those caps aren’t 0, the best as judged by the national federations (or the area Federation depending on sport) will be able to compete. Depth will obviously be limited in sports where the best in the world are concentrated in one country or geographical area, but I don’t think that takes away from the desire to win Olympic gold in those sports. Sure if you’re a 10000m runner you might be missing a few of the top 10 Kenyans and Ethiopians, but they already were beaten in the qualifying rounds. To win gold you have a one in 4 year window and need to qualify and then win the whole thing.

It’s so “trendy” to talk down on the Olympics, but to suggest it isn’t the pinnacle for Track and Field is the ultimate Olympics hot take.

It’s clearly not the pinnacle for sports where it makes zero difference to the athlete’s perception as a long term great. There are stacks of them.

Soccer, basketball, golf, tennis, are the prime candidates.

But in a sport where not having an Olympic medal is an asterisk on someone’s career, then it matters.

Does anyone care that Steffi Graf co pleated the “Golden Slam” vs a Grand Slam? Not so much. If Usain Bolt was the dominant athlete that he was, and never won an Olympic gold, how would he have been judged? Certainly not in the same way.

Had Freeman won a worlds when she stepped onto the start line at Sydney? Do you think anyone cared? Can you tell me where and when you were? Or even where she was to achieve the feat?

2 Likes