New PC Recomendations

The HDD may actually be fine if you’re able to access files, it could just be something gone wrong with the Windows install\boot sector. That said, if you only have a mechanical HDD then a SSD is highly recommended. It’ll make everything feel faster.

In any case, it sounds like the shop that told you that you needed a new HDD and a new video card to be able to boot Windows were having a lend.

2 Likes

yep and getting an SSD will mean all of the old files will be there on the old hard drive available for recovery before reformatting (hopefully)

1 Like

Does capacity matter?

I’d get 500gigs or 1TB if you can spare it, you only really put windows and key programs on the SSD and stuff like pictures video etc on another drive but itll slowly fill up over time

1 Like

Hi I am doing some really large excel files with up to 60000 rows and my computer isn’t handling it. It’s making a buzzing noise. I have 16 gb ram and an i5 processor. I want to upgrade but u have no idea what I need.

Might be worth running gparted now to see if there is a Bootable partition. If not gparted can easily fix that.

Example : see right hand column ‘Flags’ shows a partition marked as boot.

Of course it is always recommended to first backup any important files. Might also be worth checking the BIOS settings to see if the hard disk is set as the boot drive.

2 Likes