NFL 2021-22

Qirk Qousins.

It’s not so surprising given his other comments about COVID-19, but incredibly frustrating nonetheless.

1 Like

ANNOUNCE STANDARD GB GETTING DICKED IN THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP AGAIN

1 Like

This ain’t going to fly in here champ, no Olympic zone! :stuck_out_tongue:

Just a heads up If anyone has a VPN I’ve managed to get Gamepass for $135 (full season) when purchasing through Brazil…

GB is all in. Completely all in. Kinda feels like anything less than a Super Bowl is a failure.

I’m already brooding about it and they haven’t even played a preseason snap yet.

Am I the only one who saw Edgerrin James in the HOF and thought he didn’t deserve it?
Don’t get me wrong, he was great after Marshall Faulk left Indianapolis, but I never really thought he was a HOFer.

I didn’t even know that.

My recollection was a fairly solid career but nothing more.

1 Like

13th all time rushing yards with Faulk in 12th. Smith 1st of course.

Mac Jones definitely didnt look out of place for his first suit up.

Looked better than Cam

Agreed.

However, Jones was playing against their backups whilst Cam was playing against their bests.

I personally don’t see the value in giving Cam games this year but I can also understand not wanting to throw Jones straight to the wolves.

I think our receivers are really going to struggle this season though as we haven’t really strengthened there, our D-line looked fairly weak, especially our pass rush but it’s a scratch match.

Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry (if we can keep him healthy) will definitely help but still isn’t enough potency on offence compared to the other big boys.

1 Like

Don’t know if was mentioned here, but a post in the Mason Fletcher thread reminded me - the jersey number rules have been loosened significantly this year. I like to call it the Reggie Bush rule, even though he’s no longer active.

Backs and receivers can now wear single digits and anything from 1-49 now; I believe this also applies to defensive backs and linebackers. So far the only player I know of who has taken advantage of this is Packers draft pick Amari Rodgers, who is a WR wearing #8. Ironically, that was Aaron’s collegiate number and it was taken when he got drafted, which is why he picked #12.

I believe QBs, kickers, punters, and linemen on both sides are still restricted to what they were before.

He is here.

2 Likes

Have been watching the niners/chiefs preseason game using the game pass and got to watch first ep of Hard Knocks. I like that show, missed it last year on fta.

Lance did some nice things, they were talking about using him on some designed plays which would be good, if he doesn’t get much start time.

Speaking of Hard Knocks.

Watching the first episode the other day, I had forgotten just how bad Dak’s broken ankle actually was.

Now being held out with this “soreness” in his shoulder/trap/tricep whatever they deemed it to be is worrying for a bloke who has missed so much time already and has just been given a brinks truck by Jerry to remain their franchise QB.

Huge season coming up for the LOLboys.

One thing I will say… Say what you will of Jerry Jones, I don’t think you’d get a more invested or genuinely caring owner in the league. You could see in that training camp presser/interview just how much it would mean to him for his team to be successful.

Admittedly he was a fan of the team before taking over but it would be brilliant to see that passion and loyalty when it comes to the big EPL teams who so happen to be owned by some of the same people who own these NFL teams.

2 Likes

Game Pass has the back seasons of Hard Knocks back to 2010 on it. Last year was LA Chargers/Rams going through a COVID-dominated pre-season. Well worth watching.

1 Like

Pats cut Cam. Mac is QB1.

2 Likes

Doesn’t surprise me, Jones was pretty impressive through all the pre-season and I don’t think Belichick was ever a huge fan of Newton. It probably would have made for a tense locker-room having a guy like Newton as a back-up. I wonder if he will get picked up elsewhere as a back-up. Are there any sides that would pick him up as a starter the week before the season proper starts?

Ok people I’m jumping in here.

I’ve been aware of NFL, and watch games as I come across the on TV, but have never been particularly all in. But you know, covid, and getting through the rest of the year I’m thinking I should dive in a bit more.

What do I need to get on top of to really good the season?

And more importantly, who should I follow?

I’ve always been a very casual follower of the NFL, but a couple of years ago I got Fetch TV and with it came ESPN and lots of games to watch! Since then my interest has exponentially increased (probably also in due proportion to my waning interest in AFL over the last 10 years).

I never had a favourite team, but have grown into a LA Chargers fan as I had followed Oregon in the College football as I had seen them a few times on TV and my cousin went there. At the time they had a star QB named Justin Herbert who got drafted to the Chargers in 2019 and played like a boss in the 2020 season after getting his chance in a hilarious set of circumstances that had him told by his coach that he would be debuting as the kick-off was literally underway (against the reigning Superbowl champions, no less). There was also a good chance I was going to be able to get to a game in LA at the end of a road-trip holiday I was taking my family on until COVID came along, so the Chargers it is. Unfortunately for me, the AFL equivalent of the Chargers is probably Freo. Talented from time to time, but never sustained success, and no flags. They also have had a knack for finding ways to blow games in the dying seconds of games (known widely as “doing that Charger thing that they do”), but new coach, new offensive line, gun QB, a couple of gun defensive players back from injury - this is our year, baby!

Just remember there are 32 teams across the league, so only a few will be actual contenders and heaps will suck, some horrendously, in any given season. The key is obviously having a top-flight QB, and then a couple of offensive weapon running backs or receivers. What this can mean though, is that teams are only one superstar injury away from dropping from contender to no-wheresville in an instant (looking at you Aaron Rodgers, and you Dak Prescott). Currently the top teams are the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (off the back of 7-time Superbowl winning 45yo GOAT QB Tom Brady - who is also married to supermodel Giselle Bunchen), Kansas City Chiefs (QB superfreak Patrick Mahomes), and then a bunch of teams like the Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks who were there or abouts last year. The higher-profile teams generally get their games shown on ESPN as well, but the NFL gamepass app and Youtube will provide replays and highlights of all games. A number of really good QB talents were drafted early last year, so there will be lots of interest about them. Who you follow will be for you to decide, but remember that players move around in the NFL a lot more than AFL, so teams can be very different from year to year. When all else fails, pick a team whose logo and colours you like the look of! Washington are in the process of changing their name (no longer cool to use names like Redskins), so maybe hold off picking them in case they choose some lame, focus-group driven name.

Also, The teams are in different leagues and conferences. They will play home and away games each year against the other teams in their conference and then a single game either home or away against random other teams. What this means is that some teams won’t play against each other for years, but will play their conference rivals all the time. If you’re in a weak conference, great - easy wins, but if you’re in a tough conference, you can be up against it. For example the Chargers are (hopefully) on the rise, but Kansas City are in the same conference and they have played in the last two Superbowls. So some teams may be good, but will struggle to get to the play-offs, and some teams will be mediocre, but still top their conference.

2 Likes

Only teams i’d actively avoid this year for your supportership are Houston and Detroit. They will both be absolute junk and just overall bad to watch for at least a couple of years.

I’d recommend picking up a team with a young up-and-coming QB because they’re more fun. Jacksonville, New York Jets, San Francisco, Cincinnati, Miami, Arizona all fit the bill.

Next step is probably understanding the strategy and some of the lingo. I’m unsure if you’re versed in what ‘Play Action on 2nd and Long’ means, but understanding the WHY of certain situations gave me a greater understanding of the game and made it more enjoyable. I’m sure theres some youtube videos that will help with that.