Northern Territory want an AFL team

And Humble Minion wants a winning tatts ticket and Scarlett Johannsen.

1 Like

Is this a fkn joke?

Mate weā€™re used to it now, but even though Tas is inundated with lifestylers from Australia, a team wonā€™t get off the ground unless hawthorn fully migrate.

Iā€™d love to see the Territoriansā„¢ļø get off the ground but I donā€™t know the situation up there. Iā€™m sure Gil will bend something as an excuse and keep pouring coin into the bottomless pit that is Gold Coast.

Heā€™s a fkn w@nker.

Seriously would anyone switch?

Punishment is stocks and force fed cascade all day.

Still remenber the time I got dumped on for ordering Boags in Hobart.

1 Like

Only bush cannibals consume cascade in the north.

And people.

1 Like

Funny thing is that itā€™s the same watery ā– ā– ā– ā–  as Cascade.

Yeahā€¦I think @Humble_Minion will make do with Scarlett.

2 Likes

May be a matter of taste, bu I find Boags less carbonated than Cascade and with a bit more flavour.

1 Like

I think the difference is that the Perth and Adelaide clubs joined the AFL back when those states had reasonably strong leagues of their own, and the AFL was still young and very much a Victoria-centric (I mean, even more than it is now) league. Tasmania now has had about 30 years to get used to the AFL, which for much of that time has been inarguably the dominant football league here. Interest in the state league is minimal because itā€™s a shitshow and AFL is ubiquitous.

Honestly, I donā€™t know much about football in Perth and Adelaide back in the 90s (or even now), but I seriously doubt that the AFL dominated the football culture in those places back then to anywhere near the extent that it does now in Tasmania.

Not sure if they still make it but Boags red was the most glorious of ales when I used to hit the tiles. I could drink it all day long and not fall over. I think it was because my brain and liver wanted to savour the flavour as much as possible.

The most evil sherbet was cascade pale ale. I must admit I didnā€™t mind it, however an urban legend has it that it had some sort of derivative of Strychnine in it. They where forced to change it and sales crashed so badly they stopped production of it.

Funnily enough A and E visits dropped dramatically.

Boags Red is still in production, had many of them about three weeks ago until I lost count. Not that I count how many beers I have when drinking, thatā€™d be like how Nathan Buckley used to count how many possessions he had back in his FIGJAM days.

1 Like

The Eagles & Bears joined the VFL, not AFL, in 1987. The AFL was established in 1990.

Anywhere near the extent? Really? I think you will find that the AFL dominated in those cities/states in the 1990s.

1 Like

Sorry, VFL then.

Dominated those states in the 90s, yes, but for how long before that? Had generations of people in Perth and Adelaide grown up exclusively following Victorian VFL clubs before those citiesā€™ respective teams joined?

Iā€™m sure a Tasmanian team would become a lot of peopleā€™s second favourite team and a bunch of Tasmanians who are only casually interested in football will probably start following them. But most of the people who actually care enough about football to buy memberships and regularly attend games will already be invested in one of the existing AFL teams, and wonā€™t be switching. People talk about Tasmania as being a ready-made, football-mad supporter base just waiting for its own team, but I just donā€™t think thatā€™s the case.

True, but they had to beat all the AFL teams reserves sides to win it.

It may matter to whoever gets the 100K though.

1 Like

They could build domes - for training and gamesā€¦kinda like they will on Mars.
Could work.

All good.

You said 90s, so I spoke to that. As a Victorian, I canā€™t answer your question with any authority (80s or earlier). @Diggers could help.

I tend to agree with you on this point, based on asking several Taswegian mates the same question: ā€˜Would you switch allegiances?ā€™ Every one of them said no. So, your earlier point re: needing time is prolly accurate. How long? I dunno. But, it could happen sooner than most would believe. That transition is the big unknown.

One thing that I learnt from my Taswegian mates (which I was clueless about) was the lack of TV coverage of footy way back when.

Edit: The other thing was - where the team would be located? Seems as if that is a big issue as well.

1 Like

The Tiwi Islanders donā€™t mind it up there, neither do the overwhelming majority of Territorians born and bred. Ask Walla what he thinks of the weather in Melbourneā€¦

Yeah, there might be some milksop recruits from the cold South who wouldnā€™t want to move North, but thereā€™d be plenty of others whoā€™d welcome the warm weather and the adventure. My best mate from school moved up to Darwin in his 20s and stayed ā€” he wouldnā€™t live anywhere else.

Anyway, efc1robbo, what makes you think thereā€™d be a need for too many recruits from down here ? It seems pretty obvious to me that whatever team opened up in Darwin would have exclusive rights to the local talent, including the Tiwis.

And theyā€™re used to the heat ā€” they love it. Theyā€™d probably refuse to waste good money on building a dome, Deckham, on the grounds that a dome would only benefit the opposition. Can you picture what the situation would be when a Victorian team unaccustomed to the tropical heat and humidity went up to play a match in the boiling sun ? Itā€™s very possible that the NT team would win all of its home games, while losing most of its away matches.

1 Like

It would be brutal doing pre seasons up there. Plus I reckon it would be very hard to put on weight with the amount of fluids you would lose each session ( no idea if thatā€™s accurate though)

You wouldnā€™t end up having a team full of indigenous players, and I canā€™t see too many top players wanting to live up there either