Official BB review EFC v Port: Paddy "I'm a Sell Out Bastard" Ryder's return game

Mathew Farking Nicholls. Easily the greatest Wanker of an umpire the game has produced.
That's a huge call, in the face of SO MUCH COMPETITION FROM SO MANY CORRUPT MAGGOTS OVER SO MANY YEARS.

oops caps lock on, but will not apologize until they do.

Pannell easily the most useless and blatantly biased umpire ever. No one else is close.

Number 13 tonight umpired like he’d never seen a game of footy before in his life.

Good signs from some.

Why

The

Hell

Was Edwards Sub?

“Well Riolio, look Shaun’s a quality person but we’ve got certain key parameters that…”

The sub rule is ■■■■.
Who would you have made sub before the game, out of interest?

How let. A runner and a goal kicker that understands the tempo of the game.

Edwards is JUST getting a handle on it now has his momentum killed.

Edwards has a loooong time to prove himself, and he will be a gun.
Howlett has this year to prove he stays or not.

Plenty of great signs tonight and some nice building blocks going forward. Only negative is we still persist with having no pace around stoppages or in centre bounces. It's the biggest structural weakness this team has.
Are you and I the only ones who can see this?

We are SLOW particularly around the ball. SLOW. We have nowhere near enough linebreakers.
We need players who can RUN and CARRY and then KICK IT PROPERLY.

Even our handball chains were breaking down though. There were some chains under pressure where not ONE handball was good.

That’s what happens when there is no balance to the midfield. When the first receiver off the stoppage is as slow or slower than the bloke who won the footy it causes static crab footy. I lost count how many times port ran the footy from a stoppage and opened us up.

We miss colyer but we need a guy or two who can run and win their own ball.

Just got back; bizarre game. I haven’t seen a game with so little defense by both teams in a long, long time.

We lost because, like last week and the Richmond game, we missed simple set shots at goal and made basic decision errors/skill errors that should have resulted in about 4 goals for us but ended up being 4 goals for them…but that’s youth for you. to often we spoiled good work by not honouring players on the lead and went the wrong option/put ourselves under pressure & coughed it up.

Port a just your classic front runners - fantastic and dangerous when the get the ball on the burst, easy clearance, etc. but abjectly refuse to work the other way - that’s why they keep conceding some of the highest scores every week regardless of the result.

Playing Steinberg on Ryder was always going to cost us and ultimately it did.

McKernan got better as the game went on and seemed to jump all over Lobbe in Q4 (leading to a number of centre clearances, especially from Goddard). Lobbe looked tired despite getting more assistance from Ryder than McKernan had from Daniher although Daniher was much better when he went into the ruck than he has been. He worked his way into the game and deserved those goals in Q4.

It’s hard to make a case for keeping either Howlett or Ambrose in the team - neither contributes enough. I suspect Cooney & Dempsey would could come in for them both next week with one of them sub and a starting HF line of Laverde, Langford & Edwards :slight_smile:

O’Brien grows in stature and his output increases, with each game. Needs to learn to kick the ball from clearances more.

Pity Hooker didn’t kick for goal like this last week…we might have got up.

Games like last week and tonight we will win and win well once our youngsters get another 30+ games under their belts.

Ultimately, Port should be a little embarassed by tonight’s result despite winning - they were at full strength bar probably only A.Carlisle & Polek and we were missing anywhere from 8-10 players and still kicked nearly twice what we normally kick in a game.

I lost count of the number of times we torched good scoring opportunities only for it to go back down the other end for a goal.

And seriously, Nicholls, what a ****

Our rucks did well!
L & L are the future!
Howlett and Ambrose shouldnt be playing next week.
O’Brien V Kav isn’t a contest anymore
Play Pears the rest of the year, we don’t need to see anymore Steinberg to know he isn’t the answer.
Zac had his best game in a while
Our forward line looked balanced, swap Dempsey for Howlett would complete the balancing

Judas kicked a couple out his ■■■ so I can't blame Mermaid too much.. but still don't think Stein has enough to be a solution down back. Gets lost under the ball too easily and disposal is dogsh!tu

I thought tonight was a good game, young guys stepped up and got within 2-3 goals of a more mature side that is still fighting for finals. At no point did we drop the intensity which was excellent.

I’m loving the Hooker/Daniher combination… they work really well together and it helps bring in the crumbers and other forward players.

We need to pay big $$ and get a ruck… make them an offer they can’t refuse. As to the umpiring… just shamwow.

Hurley is a beast and just doesn’t put in a bad performance ever. Reliable and consistent. Pig has found some form which is good.

Judas kicked a couple out his ■■■ so I can't blame Mermaid too much.. but still don't think Stein has enough to be a solution down back. Gets lost under the ball too easily and disposal is dogsh!t

I thought tonight was a good game, young guys stepped up and got within 2-3 goals of a more mature side that is still fighting for finals. At no point did we drop the intensity which was excellent.

I’m loving the Hooker/Daniher combination… they work really well together and it helps bring in the crumbers and other forward players.

We need to pay big $$ and get a ruck… make them an offer they can’t refuse. As to the umpiring… just shamwow.

Hurley is a beast and just doesn’t put in a bad performance ever. Reliable and consistent. Pig has found some form which is good.

Think your assessment of Steiny may be premature.
Thought it was his best game tonight. Ryder only kicked ONE goal on him the others were on Gwilt (2 of which came within 3 minutes while Steiny was on bench rotation!).
Apart from one instance where he kicked into the man on the mark I thought his clearance work, particularly his clean ups of balls that hit the deck, was good.

Poor old Ambrose. What role is he playing I wonder. I like him but it must be said, he is battling.

Ambrose has to be given a run as a backman. He won’t make it as a forward. It is a backman or nothing. I have read that he played for Bendigo (Ess) VFL as a backman and wasn’t good. Time to try again. He has the attributes.

Don't know that he'd have great closing speed unfortunately and that is extremely important for a defender.

Even when given a wide-open match, AFL umpires and all their money can’t get close to VFL ones for basic competence. Really the only stain on an otherwise entertaining contest.

They got my money.

Just got back; bizarre game. I haven't seen a game with so little defense by both teams in a long, long time.

We lost because, like last week and the Richmond game, we missed simple set shots at goal and made basic decision errors/skill errors that should have resulted in about 4 goals for us but ended up being 4 goals for them…but that’s youth for you. to often we spoiled good work by not honouring players on the lead and went the wrong option/put ourselves under pressure & coughed it up.

Port a just your classic front runners - fantastic and dangerous when the get the ball on the burst, easy clearance, etc. but abjectly refuse to work the other way - that’s why they keep conceding some of the highest scores every week regardless of the result.

McKernan got better as the game went on and seemed to jump all over Lobbe in Q4 (leading to a number of centre clearances, especially from Goddard). Lobbe looked tired despite getting more assistance from Ryder than McKernan had from Daniher although Daniher was much better when he went into the ruck than he has been. He worked his way into the game and deserved those goals in Q4.

It’s hard to make a case for keeping either Howlett or Ambrose in the team - neither contributes enough. I suspect Cooney & Dempsey would could come in for them both next week with one of them sub and a starting HF line of Laverde, Langford & Edwards :slight_smile:

O’Brien grows in stature and his output increases, with each game. Needs to learn to kick the ball from clearances more.

Games like last week and tonight we will win and win well once our youngsters get another 30+ games under their belts.

Ultimately, Port should be a little embarassed by tonight’s result despite winning - they were at full strength bar probably only A.Carlisle & Polek and we were missing anywhere from 8-10 players and still kicked nearly twice what we normally kick in a game.

we have enough guys that throw it on their boot without looking, i like that he goes back to find someone with time who already has field vision.

As good as a win,

Can we add Ryder to the list of potatoes to kick a “bag” against us? Very cheap 4 goal game.

Tonight was a great departure from those gritty sub-10 goal snooze fests we’ve endured over the last couple of seasons. Actually had something to cheer about tonight. And we’ve got some brilliant kids coming through too! From where we were at after that St Kilda game, it’s a pretty big turnaround.

A couple of silly mistakes, inaccuracy in front of goal and some horrid umpiring (which appears to be pretty standard) cost us 4 points. But we’d love pick 4 or 5 in the draft, so I can live it.

The guys tried their guts out tonight. We lost it at the selection table. Poor kicking didnt help either

Laverde is going to be something special

Umpiring was woeful

Ryder is still lazy, and looks fat. I hope his mrs is keeping checks on him while he is down in melbourne- probably cheating on her right now.

Had a great time abusing ryder all night.

Why was edwards sub?

That would have to be our lowest home game crowd for a long long time

Just got back; bizarre game. I haven't seen a game with so little defense by both teams in a long, long time.

We lost because, like last week and the Richmond game, we missed simple set shouts at goal and made basic decision errors/skill errors that should have resulted in about 4 goals for us but ended up being 4 goals for them…but that’s youth for you. to often we spoiled good work by not honouring players on the lead and went the wrong option/put ourselves under pressure & coughed it up.

Sorry to disagree BWAS. Ryder kicked 2 goals in about 3 minutes in the last qtr when Steiny was on the bench on rotation and Gwilt had been given the job! In fact, I think of Ryders 4 goals, only one was Steiny’s responsibility!

Ollie Wines has a seriously punchable head. Actually, Port Adelaide have a lot of weird looking things playing for them.

Can’t wait to see what the MRP makes of Baguley’s tackle on Wingard vs Wingard’s tackle on Baguley. Sure to be much consistency and fairness.

A lot of positives overall. Liking Laverde. Feel sorry for McKernan with all the ruck confusion.

Very much didn’t enjoy Puke Darcy’s suggestion to incentivise scoring. Too many variables and bullshit idea in general. Mr Say That Again should never say that again.

I am not totally averse to the idea of 1 bonus premiership point being awarded to a team who score 100+ points in a game. Attacking footy should be rewarded.

Much better idea than zoning players and/or changing rules again.

The umpires definitely are helping us tank. Thanks guys

The umpires definitely are helping us tank. Thanks guys
That is the quote of the week, love it!

Good signs but this was just Port at Docklands 2008 with better list. We’ll win a flag before them.

Crowd was a disgrace.