Official EFC v GCS review thread

Wow only 4 pages for a game review! I watched the game yesterday and it was the most emotionally disconencted I think I have ever been from an Essendon game in my entire life. Just that goal from Johnny Diesel when he came on, and a tiny little flutter near the end when Jake Carlilse nearly boosted his trade currency a bit more.
That’s my game review

If Raz played the whole game he would have had 200 SuperCoach points and kicked 8

Only if you extrapolalate a straight line, performance wise. Personally I am assuming he had a slow start and finished with 12.

Essendon players have had trouble with getting called to play on after a mark for several years. I am not convinced it is all the umpire’s fault in this aspect, though perhaps this game was an exception (hard for me to judge from stolen snippets under the table on my phone while trying to be sparkling dinner company). We are also generally terribly slow at reacting to the opposition being called to play on.

Hurleys goal was definitely touched about a foot behind the line. Saw it on Poxtel replay. Robbed.

Another positive…
It’s probably the first time in twenty weeks that we’ve had everyone but the sub (it was Joe Dan this week) that didn’t get 10 possessions. We usually have a handful of players who just don’t contribute.
Even the win against Melbourne had four or five passengers.
Yesterday was more of a complete team performance than most of our games this season.
Still well below standard though.

We lost against a team with no Ablett o’mera swallow Prestia and Dickson

We lost against a team with no Ablett o'mera swallow Prestia and Dickson

That’s true.

But the Suns, despite capitulating to the Tigers after half time last week, beat the Lions the week prior (no big deal there admittedly) and actually extracted a draw against the Eagles at Metricon the week before that (a definite big deal there). Don’t think those 4 played in any of those games.

So, the Suns form line coming into our game yesterday was way better than ours.

Whilst they might be injury riddled, their plethora of high draft picks means they still have absolute top end talent like Bennell, Martin, Lynch, Matera in their side. By the way, we only had 4 senior listed players (Pears, Kavanagh, Ashby, Langford) who were available for selection for the game (as well as an upgraded rookie in Steinberg) beside the 22 who played.

Some shocking umpiring decisions and butchered ball use cost us big time.

I thought Hockings inside and clearance work was also nice, for someone who hasn’t played all year. Good to see him back.

Umpires just call play on straight away after a mark. They've lost it

They are ruining the game for me. This play on bullshit last night was ridiculous and the non mark to Stanton a complete joke.

Give Daniher the rest of the year off.
He was a complete waste of time last night.
He is being beaten convincingly every time.

Give Daniher the rest of the year off. He was a complete waste of time last night. He is being beaten convincingly every time.

He hasnt kicked a goal last 2 games. But id like to see him add to his games and goal tally. No point not playing he will have lots of time off once season Ends

Give Daniher the rest of the year off. He was a complete waste of time last night. He is being beaten convincingly every time.

Maybe he is wishing he had taken the Farher/Son deal at Sydney.

Worst thing was the 'gold coast clap clap clap' chant sound like 'Carlton clap clap clap'

And their theme song is soooooooo damn catchy. The mrs was whistling it all the way home in the car FFS!

Did you begin whistling the tune to D.I.V.O.R.C.E ?

Worst thing was the ‘gold coast clap clap clap’ chant sound like ‘Carlton clap clap clap’

And their theme song is soooooooo damn catchy. The mrs was whistling it all the way home in the car FFS!

anyone see the big bulls eye target and arrow that was held up behind the goals when a GC player was having a shot…our players could benefit from something like that.

I didn’t think we played any better or any worse than our recent form, just that the opposition were quite rubbish also. That ball must’ve been slippery though, some shocking handling out there. We could race it through the corridor well, but I think we’ve been trying to do this most weeks. GC just didn’t set up very well defensively.

I’m 50/50 about those play-on calls. Some were just complete WTF moments (the AFL’s new “Essendon Rule”), others we did tend to wheel around off the mark to play on, and it ■■■■■■ me off. I don’t watch other games so I have nothing to compare it to.

I really thought Suns should’ve iced that game halfway through the last, we were quite lucky to still be in it. It was an exciting finish though, and it was heartening to see the guys give their all till the very end.

The guys who seemed to be getting the most ball didn’t really impress - Stanton, Zaka, Goddard had some howlers. Smack, Demps, Hepp were great, Hurley a touch off but still solid.

Fantasia gave me my true fist-pump moments of the game. Give him a full game next week.

If Raz played the whole game he would have had 200 SuperCoach points and kicked 8
6.2, two were touched behind the line.

Other goal maggots have some USB cameras in their hats. Why isn’t this standard issue? It would only cost a couple of hundred bucks per game. You are right - the game is run by incompetents whose only interest is in lining their own pockets.

The problem is not so much that the goal umpire may have made a mistake with the Hurley decision but that they don’t have goal-line cameras at Carrara so they couldn’t accurately review the decision even if they wanted to. The AFL just made $2.5 billion on the TV rights deal yet they’re still trying to save a few thousand dollars by not installing what should be standard technology in every stadium. ■■■■■■■ bush league.

Shattered we didn’t get the win but pleased we bounced back hard from last week’s demolition.

Positives:

-Heppell scoring goals!! Always thought he needed to add that to his game and he played a true captian’s game.

-Hooker and Hurley 100% effort from both. Love their work.

-Dempsey looks exciting up fwd. Needs to be a bit more selfish though…

-Fantasia!! Wow. So classy and evasive. Glad we signed him up!!

Negatives:

-Laverde 9 disposals in first qtr. Just the 3 for remainder of the match.

-Joe has been very average the past month. End of the season can’t come quick enough for him.

-Jerrett and Ambrose no impact.

Overall, much better performance!!