Official EFC v GCS review thread

Oh forgot to add that fantasia run was awesome, had no idea he was that quick and he showed very good composure to slot the goal after the run

agree re fantasia. He needs a big preseason and hopefully next year will have zerrett colyer fanta and laverde running through the midfield giving it more oace.

I was absolutely livid leaving the ground. We played like ■■■■■ for the majority of the game and still should of won.

Umpiring was disgusting

We fumble the ball even when there is nobody around us

We overuse the ball, especially in the centre square clearances

Zaka is a disgrace to the jumper

Hibberd was very very good

Hurley was very good, but he should t be the one taking kickouts, he should be the one on the receiving end of the kickout

Goddard was good

Our midfield does not no how to defend

I have no idea what jerrett and Ambrose off the team

Dempsey was very good

On the way out i walked past a little kid who was crying his eyes out(his dad and brother were gc fans), he was saying " i waited all year to see them play and we lost by a point" broke my fkn heart.

Whoever the new coach is how got to get someone to teach our midfield to actually hit a leading forward on the chest and someone to teach the forwards its actually ok to lead up the middle of the field when presenting. Every single time we lead to the pockets, then the mids dump the ball either on their heads or over their heads

Carlisle as a defender was good, his kicking was very bad. Looked like he gave a damn, looked gutted at the final siren

Props to david richardson for leading a big essendon chant a few times throughout the game

The fans were great! Kudos to you all. I think the umpiring cost us giving them 2 blatant goals in the first quarter the push out mark to Lynch on Heppell was obvious, the non mark to Stanton was mystifying.

The boys had a crack today, hope we give the tigs a real scare next week!

EDIT: Like plenty of others, I just do not understand the calling of play on if it is an Essendon mark outside of the forward line, to my understanding, there should be 8 seconds before play on is called. We seem to get about 4 without any noticeable moving off the line. I can only say that I don’t notice similar treatment of our opposition in our games.

Surprised you didnt mention the joe Daniher one. He marked on the run and was trying to pull up and ump called play on and he was tackled and ridden into ground. Then red vested.

I hate this season.

Does anybody know who the black arm bands were for. Sorry if already explained. I didn't hear.
Black armbands are being worn for former player and Under 19s coach Peter Hickmott who was an important part of our club. #AFLSunsDons

Still pitching a tent over that first RAZ goal

Plenty of real positives Some young guys showing they could be real players in seasons to come (exodus not withstanding) Umpiring horrendous

Umpiring - Just yet another reason I think this game is no longer for me.

I can’t wait until we re-sign NOB.

Just saw a replay of the Stants no mark wtf? Was that the level of umpiring all game?

Pretty much. Golden run for the Suns. Do yourself a favor and don’t bother with any replays (apart from Orazios goal in the last…both of them), it was truly a terrible game

I think if hird was still coach we would have won today. Reminded me if the melbourne game post saints flogging.

I didnt think game plan that different from hirdys. Good to see orazios dash in the last quarter really gave us something.
Having hurley back makes a difference plus playing a weak suns outfit.

Tom lynch was pretty impressive for them plus hall. If goldcoast dont make finals next year they need to sack eade.

I would take bennell if he is up for grabs.

Despite all the umpiring howlers though, had we turned the ball over even 1 less time we would have won by at least a kick. Our ball use is depressingly poor and our decision making going into F50 has been a problem for years.

Sack the coach

BJ how many turnover?
Stanton how many turn overs??

The effort was good…but it was still too ineffective, fumbly, with ring-a-rosy hand-balling…until Bennell and Martin sliced us open with actually useful possessions.

Hibberd took the mark at HB in the last qtr. He ONLY looked sideways. play on!!!

Dunstall called out the umpire over that. It was just extraordinary.

OK some terrible turnovers and some notable absentees but gee, they kept coming and nearly snatched it.
Smack was seriously good, Hooker looks at home, Demps might just be a forward after all (and I did call for him to go forward in the pre season so it’s not entirely 20/20 hindsight), NOB might have inked a contract and Fanta, well, just shake up the bottle before opening.
Now if we can somehow get Jake to think again maybe, and just maybe, there’s a flicker of light out there.
Best loss I can remember, bring in Irish next week and watch out Bitchmond!

Clearly, this week’s obscure rule the AFL have instructed the umpires to apply against EFC players as strictly as it has in over a 100 years of footy was the call to play on immediately after a mark if the player even looked beyond or to either side of the mark. In all my years of watching football I have NEVER seen as many play on calls as tonight when an EFC player had the ball, especially if a GCS player was - oh, say, within 5 meters behind him. On the other hand, Gold Coast players could have taken a nap after a mark and feigned a disposal 6 times before being asked to ‘move it on’. It was bizarre.

And the less said about the hands in Heppell’s back and the non-mark to Stanton the better, because that was just plain cheating.

I was shattered. Those poor bastards deserved that win.

Some of us thought the club had died this week, but as long as the players give it a crack like they did today, there’ll always be a pulse.

What good is a pulse without a soul?

I think your looking for this thread…
http://bomberblitz.com/discussion/discussion/2978/■■■■-you-essendon-fc-board

Or any of the five other threads about that topic.

Good loss. Didn't get spanked and went up a draft pick

Ladder position didn’t change.

Yep. Still 2point off because of the draw with the eagles