Official ESS v Crows Review

Agreed on Colyer.
What I liked most about him is he looks to create. Some great kicks and releasing handballs.
And that goal in last was a beauty.
Melk vastly improved game. 24 touches. 7 tackles.
OUT: Belly, Kav.
IN: Carlisle, Chappy

I reckon Kav will stay and they'll rest Winders. He won't play after two 6 day breaks in a row

The media are already working on getting a rest for Winders, courtesy of the Tribunal.

I actually though Melks was completely ineffectual even though he tried hard and made plenty of contests.

Same with KAV! As heartbreaking as that is.

Colyer was sound by hand and foot and used his run.

At half time I thought melk played well with a few stuff ups. The next half was forgettable

Why did Zerrett handball backwards? Wanted him to run another 60m and launch it into the top deck, had Jacobs covered obvs.

Stanton’s fingertip tackle on Dangerfield. Saved the game.

Zach’s steal, run, and keeping possession. Saved the game.

Essington threatened to rear its ugly head, but some boys stood up at crucial times and said, “not this farking week you don’t”

Kav probably did enough - a couple of turnovers but in the end held his spot I reckon. Colyer certainly stays in - without question.

Not sure who goes for Chapman and possibly Carlisle next week then.

Sanderson Thursday - “we feel for the players however we will show no mercy”.

lol. GAGF you condescending …

Can we get Jenkins back for pick 74 ?

Sanderson Thursday - "we feel for the players however we will show no mercy".
lol. GAGF you condescending ....

Sounds more like a description of the maggots.

Geez we like to make hard work of things when we get big leads. So happy to just get the 4 points and enjoy a win though!

Howlett's goal, Colyer's smother leading to a Ryder goal both highlights.

Colyer stays in the best 22.

Great feeling about the match, but a lot of worrying signs. Annoyed at how much they went on about the Howlett goal while forgetting the Hooker (non)mark in defence. Swings and roundabouts.

The pluses were the first quarter, Goddard, and the drive we got from defence. Winders got back into it for probably his best game and I think 2nd effective game of the year. Colyer looked good when he had it, and Kav went ok. Melksham was a confusing match - 3rd highest possessions by a mid for us, but so many mistakes. Not entirely sure if his possessions helped or hindered.
The bad issues were:

• Like last week the defence was generally beaten. 8 goals from Pods, Jenkins and Walker, 3 from Betts. For F50 entries Crows were good value.
  • Can we count on Goddard getting 16 possessions in the last every week?
  • Belly is having a really bad year, just has not come up after missing all the time out injured.
  • Only four midfielders got 20 or more possessions for us. 
  • Accuracy suffered in the second half, and did not get value for F50 entries in Q2.
  • Went reasonably close to losing after being 5-6 goals up twice.
  • Stanton although he got some goals, is still not a shadow of his previous season's performance. :(

Michael Hibberd was absolutely immense. His best game for the club for mine - and that is high praise considering the quality he has produced already and at the age of 24 coming into his absolute prime. One of the recruiting departments very best moments of recent history.

Aside from Goddard's outstanding display to pull us over the line - I thought this game was significant in revealing that Elliott Kavanagh looks like he will emerge as at MINIMUM a good footballer with the potential for much more - his footy smarts stood out to me tonight and I like smart footballers. Travis Colyer too showed that he is not to be written of just yet - his disposal was top shelf tonight.

PS -I looked and I looked - and each time they showed that kick from Howlett "hitting the post" I saw NOTHING. Hell, it actually may have hit it - but it was not even close to observable - the commentary was bewildering.

I have decided that BT deserves aids. Fitting for the thing that he is.

That is out of order. Wishing something like AIDs on anyone is disgraceful. Just because you don't like the way he calls/sees a game.

Loved the sarcastic praise Tim Watson just gave BT  :lol:

I missed this, must know what it was!

Something along the lines of "And hats off to you BT, one of your all time great calls, it was a privilege to be a part of it."

Bomber is very slow to react. Swapping Hurley down forward should have been done earlier in the game and his seeming desire to always play Melksham has me baffled. AT the moment Melks is not playing well at all, in fact he has become a liability with his turnovers. He is clearly down on confidence and needs a spell back in the 2's to get his mojo back. Just continuing to play him is actually not helping him.

I can't wait till they install the "you're a deadset moron" button.
The one ruck + one tall thing today was a distinct change and it worked well. This included Melksham and Hocking forward.
Bellchambers was not horrible tonight, they just doubled-down on something that was working.

Can we get Jenkins back for pick 74 ?

straight swap for TBell

Great to see melk work into it too. Much better

Really? I thought he made way too many mistakes but I didn't really want to bring it up because of all the Melksham, lets call it criticism, recently.

The point is, he's working hard. At times tonight, it looked like he was playing with a cake of soap. If he keeps the work up, the finish will come.

Jenkins is just the player we need today. Oh well.

Heppell stepped up in jobe’s absence. Really important around the contest.

Kav and trav have to keep their spots. They offer speed and pressure, 2 things we don’t have an abundance of.

Hooker and pig in great form.