Official Salami Cup Review

There is such a thing as a terrible win.
Tonight was evidence.
Apart from the fact we have an extra 4 points in our column there isn't much to really say.
Brisbane are shocking... but we will still have to improve next week at the Gabba to be a show.

Exactly the win we needed. We aren't playing well, but a fundamental of a good team stuck its head through at times. When hepp started to rip it open and attention shifted to him, they found that others could get involved.
An ugly win, but usually we lose when ugly. Something is going on with our fitness and mentality, we look sharp for a quarter and then its a grind. In a way, that gives me hope.

This

It’s just great to have a win. I don’t care about us being a premiership threat at this time of year… We just need to record some wins and be in a position to make finals and play better footy later in the year.

Our backline were awesome tonight: Hurley was excellent and absolutely took crameri to the cleaners- hooker and fletch; amazing.

Heath was also excellent- we need him in desperately. He is so consistent each week against the games elite.

I think out mids need to attack the footy and the difference when they don’t obviously shows. The side looked knackered singing the song after the game and chappy Jobe hepps and chappy look like they’re doing it hard at the moment but there class showed when needed tonight. the more and longer we grind and compete, and start attacking the footy I think we’ll run into form.

I thought jake was ok tonight. He competed well and took a couple of good grabs. Joey was excellent. He really is playing great footy for a 2nd year talk forward. His approach, desire and attack on the game makes jack watts look loke a whining girl.

I hope we continue to progress next week in brisbane

From Bomber's presser:

* We were happy with the victory and how hard we had to fight, and that we handled their pressure. 

* Dogs played 'decent footy' , ' beat us up around the ball'

* Happier with the 3rd qtr. We have to learn to look like that team, consistently. 

* Worst thing for us is if we get a couple of early goals because everyone wants to get on the end of them and we go away from what makes us good...(yet when blitzers call them frontrunners.....)

* We regrouped at halftime. Basically its up to the players to play like they are supposed to:

"It's as much mental, everybody chooses what they do. They choose whether they go in or stay out(of the contest)...whether they go in and help the team win the ball or whether they wanna sit out and wait for a handball receive, they choose that, and unfortunately you've got to choose that based on what you see and our boys just choose that..not based on what they see....they actually dont have enough people inside on a consistent basis."

* (on getting the team to look an play like they did in the 3rd qtr:

"Its about how driven you are to succeed. its ultimately that, its those things, they should be asking themselves and challenging each other, and the guys who want to play in a premiership and be a good team, they want to play with blokes who have the same attitude. That's what good clubs are all about.

* Best game Joe's played - JC was much better with attitude and influence on the game

Not much else. 

Fletcher, Hooker, Hibberd and most importantly Goddard won us that game in the last.

Goddard is just a smart, classy veteran who willed us over the line by winning the ball and getting it forward.

Zaharakis was poor for mine and doesn’t know the meaning of chasing and “knowing when the time to go” is.

Ugly win in every sense of the word.

Daniher was great. Kicked 1.1, had 12 disposals and had 5 marks.

Hooker, Hurley and Fletcher had 32 marks between them (Hooker 13, Hurley 10 and Fletcher 9 which is super impressive).

Carlisle needs to be moved back.

Jobe looks a shadow of himself. I’d say he is fighting an injury or that gastro was more like hypothermia.

Hopefully Winders is alright along with Jackson Merrett.

Hopefully Bellchambers and Gleeson come back in.

Although Dempsey was really poor to start with I thought he once again improved as the game went on and his speed could possibly have been the difference in the end, ran both ways and gave his all.

Hoping we can build on this and start stringing games together.

concur with the others. Ugly win that left one a tad flat leaving the ground. Take the 4 pts and move on to hopefully better things next week and beyond. Never got any rhythm into our play and we were constantly fighting for the ball. Cameo bits of play but nothing coherent. Which means we have lots to improve... which can be a good thing... if we can make it all click. Otherwise... we are going to have more ugly games to sit through and they are not going to be all wins.  

Back line was excellent and the forward line continues to frustrate. There is just no structure to our forward line with players running to space. Massive work in progress. Carlisle is not the answer and feel sorry for him being the round peg in a square hole. Need to rebuild his confidence.

Thought Heppell was v.good and  exerted himself into the play and is coming along v.nicely.  

Our ability to control the play in the last 5 minutes to slow it down and keep possession of the ball was pleasing that we had the skills and nerve to do that. Albeit not against the strongest of sides. 

So all in all.... one of those awful Essendon wins that leave you not knowing what to think about where we are at.

May Joe D continue to play with the enthusiasm he does now. Such a delight to see.

May Joe D continue to play with the enthusiasm he does now. Such a delight to see.

how was your cake?

how was your cake?

Really nice. Lots of butter!

Need another solid body mid like Myers in to help around the contests

Nice to see JD hold is feet better this week and stay in the contest.

Another week into Dempsey will help him up to speed.

Hope Ambrose shows enough in the VFL tomorrow, seems to make things happen up forward.

Nice to see Hibberd start sticking marks like we know he can.

Fletch epic.

Hooker mastering the Fletch role.

Hurley aggressive attacking straight ahead run helped turn it around.

Love Bags in the trenches, Zaka could learn a bit off him.

Melksham and Howlett still not offering enough.

Ashby important contested marks in that 3rd helped rebel 2 dogs attacks.

Ryder lifted in the 3rd around the ball ups. Great effort by him to hold the ruck literally by himself for a month so Belly will be a welcome addition.

"May the fourth be with you"

I was almost ready to have a fit at that stage. Team was playing garbage in the second and top it off, we have bozos like BT and the red nut making Star Wars puns.

We won cos Heppell played a blinder in the third.

Joe D played his best game yet. His courage running with the flight in the third? quarter was crazy. I’m officially a fan (took me a while).

Hooker, Fletch and the back line boys were superb. Loved Hurley’s game too.

A win’s a win. Relaunch.

Hocking onto Dahlhaus was crucial

Need another solid body mid like Myers in to help around the contests
Nice to see JD hold is feet better this week and stay in the contest.
Another week into Dempsey will help him up to speed.
Hope Ambrose shows enough in the VFL tomorrow, seems to make things happen up forward.
Nice to see Hibberd start sticking marks like we know he can.
Fletch epic.
Hooker mastering the Fletch role.
Hurley aggressive attacking straight ahead run helped turn it around.
Love Bags in the trenches, Zaka could learn a bit off him.
Melksham and Howlett still not offering enough.
Ashby important contested marks in that 3rd helped rebel 2 dogs attacks.
Ryder lifted in the 3rd around the ball ups. Great effort by him to hold the ruck literally by himself for a month so Belly will be a welcome addition.

Good point on Ashby. He also stood up in a marking contest with Minson crashing all over him not long after that. Seems stronger than he looks, and doesn't lack courage. Hmm.

Very average game I walked away feeling average even with the win.

Heppell was huge in the third, he drove our midfield. 9 touches and a goal

Best game for JD as a forward

Best game from Hurley as a back

thought Carlisle, Dempsey and Goddard worked themselves into the game really well.

A win to hopefully get the ball rolling.

Still worried that blokes dish off to the 'leaders' to take the game on. I.e handball to chappy so he can deliver an I50. IMO to improve we need our second graders to take the game on

Howlett, Melksham, Zaka - don't get too comfortable, you got cut to shreds by an indifferent midfield

Heppell was huge in the third, he drove our midfield. 9 touches and a goal

He doesn't seem to score very many. Good omen. 

Ben Howlett had a great moment winning that one-on-two

I don’t think anyone can question bennys endeavour. He still leads our tackle count this year and competes really well. I think he’s in our best 22.

He may not be what I thought he would develop into by now, be he works hard each week no question and his best form may still come.