Oh yeah there's a Thursday game (Bye week games)

Merge Fark Carlton into Gold Coast… and then cut them the year after that.

3 Likes

WTF

Thought I had tipped that one well

GC don’t even score for the quarter

Just fkn fold

wouldn’t you love to see him kick the first goal at the mcg tonight, the champ.

i swear darcy has fill in the blank phrases that he rips out and has to write down the players name before he commentates. total spud.

no one cares about players ages luke darcy you colossal waste of oxygen

FFS Adelaide FFS.

It’s bad enough you’re making Hawthorn look good, but giving Sicily three goals for the quarter when he’s playing as a KPD?

FFS.

Win or lose, Don Pyke always has a ‘what the hell is going on? Where am I?’ Look on his face.

He looks like a meerkat

Pretty low crowd

Richard Goyder is the chairman now. He’s back tracked on bigger investments than this. If he wants to pull the pin he will, he’s not going to care about Andy and Gil’s ego.

3 Likes

Participation numbers through the roof in the Gold Coast region. The AFL are in this for the journey

1 Like

Are they real though? Both AFL and the other codes seem to do dodgy things to get those numbers up.

According to a mate who moved up there a few years ago its the case.
He reckons the amount of junior sides up there has trebled in the last couple of years and the local councils have spent millions on new Aussie rules ovals but there still isn’t enough. He helps out out at one of the Auskick clinics and can’t believe the numbers coming through. Some schools are apparently even teaching it as their main sport instead of rugby now

3 Likes

Wow that’s pretty big

I suppose there is a decent amount of Victorians etc there. Fathers who prefer AFL

Going to take a while for that to impact though. They need some genuine locals like Heeney.

I think Qld minds aren’t as closed to AFL as NSW brains are. Having said that, the AFL is gaining traction there as well. Just like K Costner heard that time he was off his dial in a corn field… “build it and they will come”

1 Like

Heaps of expats from the AFL States live on the GC.

At a CA conference I attended last year they were talking about junior participation rates amongst all sports and the data provided showed that the mother was overwhelmingly the key decision maker in choosing which sport their kids play and they are electing sports with less physical harm possible. Hence why we are seeing big growths in Basketball and soccer at junior level. Aussie rules rates highly aswell and many parents in NSW and QLD see it as a far better alternative than Rugby.

1 Like

Why is it that soccer is so expensive for kids to play ?

We recently did a program to provide boots to kids playing footy and soccer and it seems that soccer is up to 5 times the cost of footy, just to play. The figures we got we anecdotal but looking at the demographic on who plays what it seems correct.

I apologise for this post.
It’s fatist. Actually I admit I’m fatist. I suffer from fatism.
I’m sorry if this offends you as I realise that fatties are people too, maybe sometimes even 2 people.
The Gold Coast team are hopelessly unfit and their coach is enormous.
Somewhere in club-land there is a great coach and his players are crap. But importantly the coach says ‘we’re all in this together’. Success requires this team ethos.

You can’t work in an elite sporting environment and demand enormous sacrifice and discipline from your players to get supremely fit and healthy, but at the same time eat 3 hamburgers between breakfast and lunch.
Lots of people are fat and they don’t have the support or knowledge to change. Dew has access to the best fitness staff around. The media ‘experts’ rave about his expertise but his enormous gut says fat, lazy, undisciplined. You don’t get a job as a Singapore Airlines hostess unless you are built for the job. It shouldn’t matter but that’s not the world we live in.
Stewie needs to commit to getting fit, as does his players.

2 Likes

its not poor but I do think Sydney have a knack of getting the big signings when they need them.

Just like Franklin it will not surprise me if they get McGovern. That will look after their spine.

That is the sort of trade we dont seem to do. eg for when we lose Hooksy or Hurley to retirement.

Registration fees are horrendous for soccer and unfortunately there are plenty of clubs who jack up prices for kids to tip into the adult program and pay for players

2 Likes