Open letter to the EFC

Port just won in Fortress Sydney. Guess you can win on the road after all…

1 Like

Why do we?

For my membership dollar I expect a good seat and a good game. I always get one, mostly the other.
I expect the club to be run professionally. I appreciate opportunities to engage with players and other members.
We choose to support Essendon, we can choose not to. We’re certainly not entitled to anything for making that choice.

7 Likes

That’s well and good for people of our age but why on earth would any kid adopt us as their team unless their parents are mad Essendon supporters. Membership numbers are great now but give it another 10-15 years without a flag and see what they look like

7 Likes

Exactly right. That falls under the club being professionally run. In order to survive and prosper clubs need to attract both players and members. I expect that of my footy club.

DKP wasn’t saying that we always lose against them. He’s just saying that it sucks when we play them, even when we win. Because…you know…that sucks too.

No, hes saying that when we play them, there is no way you can ever feel confident playing them, no matter where each team is on the ladder

4 Likes

I can relate to WOB. The two games in Sydney last year were gut wrenching losses. I am still hopeful that in my lifetime we will win a game in Sydney. I hope i can see it and rip it into my wheres wally mates.

6 Likes

You can’t choose to not support us if it’s in your blood since birth. If I’d had a choice to be born into a family that didn’t follow football, I now wish that was the case. 15 years ago I was so proud and it had given me 80% joy in the first 25 years of life. The last 15 years have provided about 5% joy.

1 Like

Of course you can choose. It might be a difficult choice but if it brings you no joy then perhaps it’s one you need to make.

2 Likes

Especially when a spud like Redpath rocks up & kicks a big like Fkg Taberner just did…

Carlisle was spot on about one thing…

He is now at St.Kilda. If ever a club was ■■■■■■, it’s that one.

2 Likes

Is fuckeder even a word? Yep, looks like the spellchecker is on board.

3 Likes

4 Likes

I simply cannot refute anything WOB has said, just a brilliant, passionate rant. I really do feel for our interstate fans.

I do however want to talk about something slightly different from Essendon or for that matter, Essington and what happened last night.

I remember coming across a few old boys, mate’s of my Dad when I was a kid, guys who had at one point been football fans and who probably still didn’t mind the game but something was different for them. Now that I’m older, I kinda get where they’re coming from. These were men who said “The game’s gone tiggy touchwood” or “Money is changing things” and this was the 1980’s. What was noticeable about some was they’d declared something along the lines of “I used to barrack for North but really only go down to the park to watch the local lads run around”. This concept was totally foreign to me as a rabid Essendon supporter aged six and older. I see myself as so damn fortunate to have attended a few GF wins of our’s, hell there might even be others who have seen even more which is amazing.

The above is all cold comfort to those who work their arses off, pay their hard earned and get behind the boys. Especially those who only get the rare chance to do so once, maybe twice a year or even few years and those who have nothing in their life but the club. Distance does make the heart grow fonder. The reality is, that it’s a lot harder to win a flag than it used to be. I don’t know the statistics but I’d say someone proficient in maths can find a percentage of how much harder it must be. We as sports fans are on a hiding to nothing going through all this ■■■■. It’s kinda funny really. It gives us euphoria some cannot understand at times but bejaysus it can be a living hell too. 1990? I’ll stop right there. Anyone remember that Liverpool fan who topped himself at half time of the Champions League Final over a decade ago? So, sometimes we’ve got to ask ourselves with odds against us, why bother? Most of us probably know a former Fitzroy fan who gave up on footy and sport altogether and feel some kind of sympathy for their sporting purgatory. Well, perhaps they are the lucky ones?

Donald Fagen from Steely Dan wrote a song entitled ‘Deacon Blues’, he wanted to use a metaphor for utter mediocrity in a sporting sense. There are thousands of clubs universally, playing all sorts of sports but only a handful of them get that success and we’re in that pot.

Call me fair weather but as much as I hated the lack of application of some last night, I’ve managed to find ways of dealing with mediocrity I have no control over, I am lucky too. Post saga taught me a lot about sport, it taught me a lot about how a lot of people in society can lack original thoughts and critical thinking. Highly intelligent people who would succumb to sheer cretinous, idiocy, their intelligence snapped in half from my perspective and as such gave me a new perspective on footy or sport and my place in it and why I’ve bothered. I had to appreciate what success I’d witnessed, I had to appreciate the memories of travelling on blue Tait trains with doors open and pissheads nearly falling out up the Broadmeadows line en route to Windy Hill and how that opened my world up completely as a child and the things I’d seen. Perhaps even Darcy Parish’s sealer against a cocky Melbourne in the wooden spoon season which has an asterisk in it was something to savour. Even something as cheesy as how cool it is that our colours are red and black and not like Hawthorn’s ■■■■■■■ godawful colour scheme gave solace. As much as I’d like to admit that football has become less about the winning, I deal with it better than years ago, even though I’d dearly love to see my fifth flag but for those of you not old enough (my two nephews), I’d be even more happy for them to see their first. I’d like another turn for sure but I have had my go.

I don’t want this to come across as telling people how they should feel and think but maybe watch the video I’ve attached about Leyton Orient. That looks like a living hell and it’s only gotten worse since. I dunno if this is even worth posting or the right tone but ■■■■ it. I’m in not too bad a mood today.

So @westozziebomber , send that letter. If I’ve got some time this week I might write one myself, perhaps we all should?

11 Likes

That sounds like an excellent business decision by you.

2 Likes

Or maybe that port that caned Freo last week is quality

I prefer the first hypothesis. Fark Port.

3 Likes

This is a great idea! But link it with something that will affect $$$ received to make it noticed.

1 Like

I like Redpath. He may not be terribly skilled, but he goes in hard and busts through packs.
Taberner is also talented, as is evident by the goals he does get.

ffs you guys all think EFC is a gift from farkin heaven and everyone else in the world is a farking spud. Self-entitled gits trying to live vicariously through idols.

3 Likes