Opinion: Pun Takeover and Saga-fication of Threads Should be Ban-Worthy

One pun, per man, per day, perhaps.

The temptation to reply to this thread with a pun-filled post about the Saga is almost irresistible.

But I vote a definite no on pun bans. They’re just cos people are bored, footy starts soon & the pun threads will die out once we’ve all got more to talk about.

And I think it’s overkill re the saga stuff as well. If a thread get completely derailed by irrelevant saga stuff or old arguments, then a mod post pointing towards the saga thread should be issued before bans happen. But like it or not, the saga will keep on affecting every facet of the club for a long time yet, and banning people from talking about it when it’s relevant is just wrong and dumb IMHO.

1 Like
One pun, per man, per day, perhaps.

Not bad. Probably go the Army way though, and make it 2 puns per/per.

Reboot would go mad o/wise.

The temptation to reply to this thread with a pun-filled post about the Saga is almost irresistible.

But I vote a definite no on pun bans. They’re just cos people are bored, footy starts soon & the pun threads will die out once we’ve all got more to talk about.

And I think it’s overkill re the saga stuff as well. If a thread get completely derailed by irrelevant saga stuff or old arguments, then a mod post pointing towards the saga thread should be issued before bans happen. But like it or not, the saga will keep on affecting every facet of the club for a long time yet, and banning people from talking about it when it’s relevant is just wrong and dumb IMHO.

hirdy thread had numerous warnings, ■■■■ all paid attention.

Definitely yes on the saga stuff. It’s just same old cyclical arguments by the same people isn’t it? Make them keep it to their own thread so everyone else can move on. The puns become tedious but it’s just part of the blitz charm.

Definitely yes on the saga stuff. It's just same old cyclical arguments by the same people isn't it? Make them keep it to their own thread so everyone else can move on. The puns become tedious but it's just part of the blitz charm.

Nope.
The Daniher thread had been rendered completely pointless.
If that’s happened to another thread through saga stuff then feel free to say which one.
Unless you’re of the ridiculous opinion that James Hird has nothing to do with the saga.

Definitely yes on the saga stuff. It's just same old cyclical arguments by the same people isn't it? Make them keep it to their own thread so everyone else can move on. The puns become tedious but it's just part of the blitz charm.

Nope.
The Daniher thread had been rendered completely pointless.
If that’s happened to another thread through saga stuff then feel free to say which one.
Unless you’re of the ridiculous opinion that James Hird has nothing to do with the saga.

I don’t usually read the player threads as most of it’s just self important rubbish anyway but if that’s what’s happening then ban the puns too!
Yes.

In all seriousness. Keep the saga stuff for the sadists in the Saga thread. People come on this forum for a footy related escape. They should be allowed to forget about the saga and not read about in every thread. The discussion in the Hird thread has been fine though, as it’s obviously a saga related event.

Puns. Meh. I think they’re silly but it would be way way sillier to ban people for making a stupid joke. If you don’t like em, scroll past em (which is what I do).

Puns are short and sweet at least, not too hard to scan through.

The ones which really get out of control, a la Daniher thread, that went on so long and became so predictable that a ban system after a page or so shouldn’t be too hard on the mods. The bans could be rolled out whenever it suited the mods, it’s not as if it’s an emergency, the consequence for ignoring the etiquette of not allowing it to go over one complete page + 1 post should be easy enough for most of us to learn our lesson.

I agree with HM, its the off season, puns are at maximum, I don’t care. Its easy to scroll through them.

Premium threads, e.g. training threads, I would prefer didn’t get derailed to saga trite. e.g. A former club president goes to training, again I don’t care. I’m not interested in anyones opinion on such matters in what are truly awesome threads that proactive blitzers have been kind enough to share their insights. Likewise there is great info in the Saga and Hird threads which I appreciate the efforts of so many. Keep the saga stuff in the saga thread.

Ok alternative opinion:

We allow any and all saga talk in all threads, but we just rename the saga (via a browser add on or similar) to something more fun.

So instead of the supplements scandal being known as ‘The Saga’, it can be known as ‘Happy Chocolate Pancakes’.

Arguments in support of this proposal:*

1. Who doesn’t like pancakes?
  2. Who wouldn’t prefer to read about happy chocolate pancakes rather than the saga? That’s right, nobody.
  3. This suggestion would give all saga talk a new meaning. For instance:

“I think that that prick David Evans is totally responsible for Happy Chocolate Pancakes”

“Sometimes I get so worked up about the Happy Chocolate Pancakes that I just can’t handle it anymore”

“It is imperative that the government establish an urgent inquiry into Happy Chocolate Pancakes”

“Josh Green is just getting settled into his new club and doesn’t want to be distracted by Happy Chocolate Pancakes”

… and so on.

• this may or may not be a fully formed proposal

I like puns
I even started a thread,
unfortunately though,
it’s now rendered dead.

Someone should start a petition for a senate inquiry into pun threads.

Only if it’s on a Tuesday.

Only if it’s on a Tuesday.

Damn…
One day too late.

Ok alternative opinion:

We allow any and all saga talk in all threads, but we just rename the saga (via a browser add on or similar) to something more fun.

So instead of the supplements scandal being known as ‘The Saga’, it can be known as ‘Happy Chocolate Pancakes’.

FLOWER THAT.
Ok alternative opinion:

FLOWER THAT.

I enjoyed reading that, because it reminded me of flowers and I have absolutely no idea what else you could have been trying to say?!

The system works!

Ok alternative opinion:

FLOWER THAT.

I enjoyed reading that, because it reminded me of flowers and I have absolutely no idea what else you could have been trying to say?!

The system works!

You need to understand the talking fark carlton swear filter to get what he just did.

Ok alternative opinion:

FLOWER THAT.

The system works!

You need to understand the talking fark carlton swear filter to get what he just did.

thatsthejoke.jpg

Also flower you you mother flowerer…

What the daffodil?