Options for picks 20 and 29 (before Academy shenanigans)

If we pick McGrath who is the best attacking mid in the 20 range?

Florent or Venables i think.

I’ve heard great things about both.
Someone said Florent could end up being the best Sandy boy.

Perhaps there are players more like Clug at 20 than there will be like McGrath. So I guess that strategy might come into it.

I've heard great things about both. Someone said Florent could end up being the best Sandy boy.

Perhaps there are players more like Clug at 20 than there will be like McGrath. So I guess that strategy might come into it.

Witherden Ryan will be there at 20

I’d be pleasantly surprised if either of them (or Simpkin) is available.

My tip is that we’ll take Begley with one of our second rounders. Few whispers.

Annoyingly enough, i seem to have attended multiple games he’s played in, but not taken particular notice of him so I can’t offer an opinion on him…

Annoyingly enough, i seem to have attended multiple games he’s played in, but not taken particular notice of him so I can’t offer an opinion on him…

You have been to all the TAC finals this year yeah? What’s your take on Corey Lyons and which AFL player would you compare him too?
I’d really like him at 41 he would add handy midfield depth

You have been to all the TAC finals this year yeah? What’s your take on Corey Lyons and which AFL player would you compare him too?
I’d really like him at 41 he would add handy midfield depth

I try not to make comparisons to current AFL players any more. Partly cos I only really watch EFC games any more so i haven’t got that many blokes to make comparisons too, but also partly cos I found myself subconsciously choosing as my AFL comparison a bloke who LOOKED like the kid I was talking about it, rather than a different looking one who actually played like more him. Brain can play tricks on you like that.

I like him as a player, and I’m honestly not sue why there’s not more talk about him. He’s a genuine mid who can also be a handy hff, nippy, smart, and agile. Probably more outside than in. Hits the scoreboard pretty regularly. Weirdly enough, his writeup in Inside Footy talks about his downsides being pace and kicking, but I would have thought quite the opposite. He’s never been short of toe when I’ve seen him play, and my impression of his having good footskills is backed up by a very high kicking effectiveness over the course of the year, even thoguh that stat probably only tells a third of the story at best.

Both Marshall and English may slide.
Not sure they’ll get to our pick, but if they do what’s people’s thoughts?
The like the idea of both for us, but I’m not sold on either.

Both Marshall and English may slide. Not sure they'll get to our pick, but if they do what's people's thoughts? The like the idea of both for us, but I'm not sold on either.

The thought of Gleeson and Marshall in the same side scares me. Now we would have one at each end getting bodied off the ball. Marshall is way skinnier than Joe and look how long it’s taken him to size up. Just not sold on Marshall unfortunately.

Both Marshall and English may slide. Not sure they'll get to our pick, but if they do what's people's thoughts? The like the idea of both for us, but I'm not sold on either.

The thought of Gleeson and Marshall in the same side scares me. Now we would have one at each end getting bodied off the ball. Marshall is way skinnier than Joe and look how long it’s taken him to size up. Just not sold on Marshall unfortunately.

Marshall should play a lot more vfl than afl for his first couple of years.

Marshall should play a lot more vfl than afl for his first couple of years.

Agree he’ll be given plenty of time to develop in the VFL, a team that should be very strong next season too. I’d take him at 20 no problems, have my doubts he’ll still be available though, think he ends up with the Dogs or Port.

why would we draft begley at 20 or 29 when there’s a good chance he’d be available at 41? i think i’ve answered my own question - there are other clubs with picks in the 30s who are keen on him. but it’s interesting that he is rarely spoken of even by the pundits in the know

why would we draft begley at 20 or 29 when there's a good chance he'd be available at 41? i think i've answered my own question - there are other clubs with picks in the 30s who are keen on him. but it's interesting that he is rarely spoken of even by the pundits in the know

I wouldn’t rush to take him at 41 either

why would we draft begley at 20 or 29 when there's a good chance he'd be available at 41? i think i've answered my own question - there are other clubs with picks in the 30s who are keen on him. but it's interesting that he is rarely spoken of even by the pundits in the know

any particular reason you wouldn’t? have you seen him play? which player is best comparison?

any particular reason you wouldn’t? have you seen him play? which player is best comparison?

Plays like rocky got massive upside but we already have langford and lav in that mold

He lacks pace (I am not talking 20m test but in general play), agility and his endurance is just OK. He is a man child and I worry about his upside, which seems high based on the fact he had a great year out of nowhere, but for mine that was due to his size. I think he is about a 40+ prospect and I think we can get a 30+ type at pick 41.

Josh Begley goes from suburban young gun to on the cusp of being recruited in AFL national draft

Toby Prime, Knox Leader
November 4, 2016 11:30am

JOSH Begley’s plans to play his senior football career at Upper Ferntree Gully may have been shelved for the time being.

The 18-year-old could emerge as one of the success stories of this year’s AFL draft.

Begley, a key forward turned powerful onballer, wasn’t even on the Eastern Ranges’ radar 12 months ago, but Upper Gully were keen for him to be exposed to the TAC Cup.

He turned in a blinder in the opening round for the Division 3 club in the Eastern Football League, kicking six goals.

Ranges scouts went down and had a look at him the following week. He booted seven goals in a 64-point win over Park Orchards.

“We saw in the first couple of rounds he was a step above everyone else and hence why we got the Eastern Ranges to come down and watch his second game,” Upper Gully coach Chad Rogers said.

“From there we knew we wouldn’t get him back.”

Weighing 105kg, he lined up against the Tassie Mariners after two games with Upper Gully. He wasn’t out of place with a bag of another six goals.

Proving it wasn’t a fluke, he kicked 10 goals over the next three weeks.

That was when he was dragged into the Ranges’ offices with his parents for a chat about where he wanted to take his football.

He has since lost 5kg, while his skinfolds have dropped from more than 80, which is considered overweight for an athlete, to 55, which is elite for a TAC Cup player.

He also started a low-fat diet and joined a gym to start a strengthening program.

“By the end of the year, he was one of the first picked onballers week-in, week-out,” Eastern Ranges talent manager Len Villani said.

“Being able to turn himself around in five months, it has been incredible.”

Begley said he was “over the moon” with how he had performed this year, finishing the season with 26 goals and averaging 17 disposals from his 15 TAC Cup outings.

“It has all happened pretty quick, I’m very happy, I didn’t think it was going to happen this time last year,” Begley said.

Begley, an opening bowler who also won a cricket premiership with Upper Gully earlier this year, said prior to this season he intended to play his football days out at Kings Park.

“I love playing down there with all my mates down there so that would have been my plan to play senior footy down at Upper Gully for the rest of my football career,” he said.

At the draft combine, Villani said he “blew them away”, completing a 13.8 beep test, 10.39 minutes for the 3km time trial and 3.01 seconds for the 20m sprint.

“Once he gets up and running, he is going to do some serious damage to some big body AFL players in the years to come,” he said.

From not even being in the draft conversation this time last year, Villani said he was “pretty bullish” about Begley’s AFL prospects.

“I’d be shocked if he wasn’t at an AFL club next year based on what he has done, the runs on the board and the feedback I am getting from people,” he said.

“It will be the best story I have had in any involvement in all my time in footy for him to get across the line.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/josh-begley-goes-from-suburban-young-gun-to-on-the-cusp-of-being-recruited-in-afl-national-draft/news-story/c683c9dba3a9fbef8cc0eb9293bbe496

Doesn’t sound half bad.

I originally linked us to Begley in the 20s, heard from a contact from Eastern that clubs in the 20s were keen to get him there but that was before the combine so stocks might be even higher after he impressed there. Think clubs see him as a potential Ollie Wines style of player, personally think he would be ok at 29 but wouldn’t be that dissapointed to miss out on him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcAx8G9-ohk

If we take him, im gonna go fkn bananas