Our best ever trade

Darcy was also on that list a few years before Joe !

We pushed him as he was a basket case.
They needed speed to win a premiership.

You canā€™t really count that one though. The rules for Fremantle meant they pretty much had to take hacks, and give up gold. They werenā€™t allowed to keep the gold.

Denham - Barnes.

Gumbleton at pick 2 - to freo 8 odd years later for pick 55 - to razzle dazzleeee

4 Likes

D. Jarman to Crows, P. Salmon to Hawks, S. Wellman & P. Barnard to Essendon. At the time you would think we were screwed.

But in the end we gave up a bloke who wanted to play ruck that Sheeds refused to play as ruck (until he was 35 and had been retired for a season) and got two future Premiership players back.

Might not be the best ever, but it would be up there.

1 Like

They couldnā€™t keep Lloyd or at least the ability to pick an underage player like him but I donā€™t think the Lucas pick was anything different was it?

Gotta be the best deal ever eh?

Yeah I think Lucas was a standard trade, Lloyd was a compo pick thing, and a bit murky how and why that was decided.

Remember when murky AFL decisions used to go our way sometimes?

I didnā€™t think they were allowed to keep any of their picks. It was the same for Port, who traded them for Primus, Wanganeen, etc.

We lost zero games for Lovett, got Carlisle clunking for a few years, Shotgun farked Carlton single-handedly, we farked St Kildaā€™s reputation (!) twiceā€¦ and Franga is gonna bust games up for a decade.

Thatā€™s our worst ever?

5 Likes

Youā€™re stretching that trade so far beyond that trade of youā€™re including Francis!

Also, we gave Hawthorn a massive help towards 3 flags. By giving them the pick they needed to get Burgoyne.

Gifting Hawthorn 3 flagsā€¦ Yeah, an absolute shocker.

I havenā€™t heard that before, they still had pick 1 remember that they used on White.

As for Port Iā€™m a but hazy on the details of how that worked but I donā€™t think they ever had picks to trade only the ability to sign players like GC & GWS did but the compo was higher. Not sure though how WC ended up getting picks 1 & 24 for Ian Downsborough when we got less for Wanganeen or even Cummings for that matter. Just to highlight how the AFLā€™s ability to compromise integrity for their marketing aims has no equal, Brisbane ended up getting picks 3 & 26 for a guy who never played for them.

list of all our drafts and trades - some names I have no idea who they are

https://www.draftguru.com.au/clubs/essendon

Max Gawn was taken immediately after long who was a massive over reach as a second round pick, could have been rookied

Dodoro scares me with his second round picks (usually in the 30ā€™s), loves a good project player.

1 Like

Only real blot on that draft.

Melks and JC (one of Discoā€™s project picks) will be 200 gamers, Colyer a 100 gamer - maybe 150, Hardy useful 50 gamer in the PSD, Howlett and Cramers 100 gamers in the rookie draft.

A Long had some talent, but IIRC heā€™d barely played in his 17s or 18s year?? Surely still there in the rookies.

1 Like

Except Sydney were going to take him in the second round.

Surely Colyer and third round pick for Gaff was our greatest ever trade?

Offloading a pair of rangaā€™s to freo and using picks on Lloyd and Lucas