Pass mark 2015 - What are your expectations of the team?

A reply to: @aboods regarding QuoteLink

Quoted Post
Defence is not a worry, we were 4th best in the AFL last season in the H&A and that group won't change at all. Midfield we now have a very good starting 4-5 (Watson, Goddard, Zaka, Heppell, Hocking) with a solid enough core of others that will rotate through (Myers, Howlett, Melksham, the Merretts, Cooney, Colyer, etc). Goals is the biggest concern, and losing Ryder the ruck is a question mark of sorts which, if Bellchambers stays fit and Giles comes in and does a job for us, should be sound enough. Mentality is another thing. If we can a) batter the poor sides and b) not lapse in and out of games, then our best is good enough to be in the top 5-6 teams in the comp. But, Hawthorn, Sydney, Port probably be the 3 locks in the top four, which leaves Freo, Geelong, North, Us, Richmond, probably a resurgent Adelaide competing for 4th. I'd still back the Dockers to get there given their coach and with a reasonable run with injuries. They will be too solid at home (win a minimum 9 games in Perth) plus if they win 6+ on their travels, that's probably enough.

You forgot Gold Coast

For the eight, yes they are a contender, but probably too soon for a top four push…

We have never really seen this side play without any investigation hanging over them. I suspect they will improve once it is over and be able to concentrate for longer periods during games. Really the only weakness is delivery and forward structure which we are overtime trying to correct. If we get that right and Joe, Carlisle and Ambrose can produce more goals then we are a top four class team. Lot has to go right though.

Interesting. Expectations and pass mark are 2 different things for me.

My expectations are that if we play our best footy all year, and stay injury free, we can finish top 3.

A pass mark for me is 5th or higher.

A reply to: @Aceman regarding QuoteLink

Should be pushing top 4, anything less will be a failure with the squad we have

I reckon either top 4 finish or a prelim at the very least at least pushing to have been in a prelim.
But unless it’s an absolute shocker of a a season I wouldn’t call it a failure persay as a flow on effect may mean next year and beyond might be better. Sadly it’ll only be judgable in 2-3 years time with hindsight in the bank.

But yes a pass mark is rectifyin issues that the club has had for the past decade across now 4 different coaches and coaching panels. If they do that it pretty much has to mean top 4.

Unless they are decimated by injuries, they need to make a Preliminary Final this year with the aim of winning the big one in 2016 before Jobe and BJ’s output starts to decline.

I’m not a lid on person but top 4?

Sydney, Freo, the Hawks and Port will be the contenders this year.

North and the Suns (with Gary Ablett…) will be competitive and pushing like us. The Tigers might jag a few again.

Then there are our traditional bogey teams that we never handle well, the Pies, Carlton and Melbourne that all love taking points off us.

The Eagles and the Crows can always surprise and have standout seasons and when on are unbeatable at home.

I’d love for us to breakthrough, but I think it’ll be more of the same.

Its interesting… if we improve to say, top 4 with a view of pushing for a flag in the 2 years after that, with the age of our top players we certainly won’t be seeing a dynasty. It’ll be a one-off one year tilt IMO.

I hope we make finals and win a final to just give ourselves a chance at a Prelim.

I don’t expect us to be top four at the end of the home & away season - for one thing our draw isn’t as favourable as others, but I think we have to make the 8.

If that happens, I’d hope that by finals time we’ll have a pretty settled forward line, and would have managed some of the older players through the season so the team is primed to win through to a prelim final.

We need to have some luck with injuries, but with the talent and the experience we have, I don’t think we’re an unrealistic chance to do at least this.

Ten teams won’t play finals.
A minimum two to a maximum four won’t win a final.
If we’re not one of those teams, that’s a pass.

I reckon we’re two decent injuries to talls away from finishing 12th, though.

Pass mark for me is finish top 8, beat FCK carlton, win a final.

A premiership. Aiming for anything else is a waste of time

If we can’t make it into the second week (at least) of finals this year, then our ‘window’ we’ve been waiting for may never even slightly open.

I don’t think we are Top 4 yet. We haven’t even won a final in 10 years or so.

We need to make finals and start winning them, then we will challenge.

The recruitment of older senior players was not about winning a premiership, it’s insurance in case we lose players for any games in 2015.

I agree with Wim - a lot depends on the health of our Talls.

If we can stay healthy winning a final would be a pass mark (but I’m expecting more).

A pass mark would be top 4 but I can’t see us getting there. Still too light on up front, especially with Carlisle still injured.

Make the eight and win one final.
This would make it a B+ season.

Should make top 4, expecting top 6.

Pass mark for 2015 is back-to-back flags oh jesus we’re failing already sack everyone

The forward line efficiency and injuries are the key.

Realistic chance at top 4 for mien.

Flag. I’d only accept anything less if there were extenuating circumstances (Eg injuries, dodgy umpires in the GF)

A reply to: @localbomber regarding QuoteLink

The recruitment of older senior players was not about winning a premiership, it’s insurance in case we lose players for any games in 2015.

That’s a long leap to make the last bit ?
AS really if we lose any players no amount of “insurance” players is going to make a difference to where we finish or how we go.