Patton Pending

You have to take into consideration we will only have one or two picks in the draft next year.

First we need to find the mandatory three players to delist (guessing Gwilt, Kommer and possibly Ashby).

Then we may upgrade Tippa onto the main list.

Leaving us two picks for the draft.

What about Cooney?
Plus we already only had 39 on the main list.
There are 2 or 3 others in the list who are no certainties to keep their spots.

I’ll be shocked if we don’t take at least 3 picks in the draft

You have to take into consideration we will only have one or two picks in the draft next year.

First we need to find the mandatory three players to delist (guessing Gwilt, Kommer and possibly Ashby).

Surely we’ll cut a bit deeper than that.

As for Patton, he’s a big bodied key forward who can play out of the goal square, is a decent kick at goal and can even pinch hit well in the ruck.

His knees could be an issue, but as far as ‘type’ goes, he’s exactly what we need.

Is that the best strategy though fd? Realistically we are going to finish down the bottom, so that not only means we’ll get pick 1 or 2, but possibly a priority pick, our 2nd round pick and 3rd rounder will be at a healthy number also. So thats 4 decent picks potentially. Upgrading Tippa is essentially giving up a 3rd, potentially 2 round pick (pick 19-21). As much as want him on our main list, its high price to pay for a rookie upgrade.

Any other club in this position would be cleaning shop, getting as many picks under 30 as possible. But as you say, I can’t see past what you’ve mentioned where else to trim the fat. I don’t envy our list management team right now.

If a priority pick does come our way, that would be ideal, we could offload a 1st round pick for a player (Patton/Jack Martin) and a late 5h rounder to get us Tippa and still have a 1st rounder in the draft.

I’m with fog on thus one, we could be taking very few draft picks this year. If all the 12 come back, we’re very short of fat to cut. Ashby, kommer, cooney are the obvious ones for me, reckon gwilt has played well enough to earn another year, but he’d probably be next in the queue if we really need space.

Surely Edwards is gone too?

Edit: Plus Dempsey and Mckernan will be on the verge.

Plenty of options. It would be downright criminal to hit this draft with only two picks.

I simply cannot imagine any possible scenario in which we will get a priority pick this year (or probably for any year in the foreseeable future). This is the frigging AFL remember?

Even compo picks, should any if the 12-3=9 leave, are a really really long shot.

Actually, Dempsey is another one who could potentially be squeezed out.

If Watson, Stanton return next year and Goddard, Cooney and Gwilt play on, they will only play for a couple of years max. I just think Ashby, Edwards, Hams, Jerrett and McKernan shouldn’t be delisted. We now have lots of youth developing and keeping players like them is practical.

If Watson, Stanton return next year and Goddard, Cooney and Gwilt play on, they will only play for a couple of years max. I just think Ashby, Edwards, Hams, Jerrett and McKernan shouldn't be delisted. We now have lots of youth developing and keeping players like them is practical.

Not delisting players like those you have mentioned is the reason we’ve been shithouse for 15 years

If Watson, Stanton return next year and Goddard, Cooney and Gwilt play on, they will only play for a couple of years max. I just think Ashby, Edwards, Hams, Jerrett and McKernan shouldn't be delisted. We now have lots of youth developing and keeping players like them is practical.

Not delisting players like those you have mentioned is the reason we’ve been shithouse for 15 years

Ashby, Edwards, McKernan, Jerrett have shown glimpses in the small amount of game time they have had in seniors, they are inconsistent, hopefully they have a chance this year to play more senior football. I think we have been shithouse for 15 years because of disgusting recruitment (up until recently) and we keep players like Dempsey, Kommer, etc for too long.

Lol, get a priority pick ffs

imo, none of the following are certainties to play on for one reason or another. Many of them probably will, but it’s not out of the question that they’ll either retire, be delisted or ask for a trade. I’m not making predictions on any of them this early in the season, but as I said earlier, I’ll be very surprised if we don’t have at least 3 picks in the ND:

Guilt
Cooney
Goddard
Gleeson
Ashby
Ambrose
Kommer
Dempsey
Edwards
Smack

Ashby, Edwards, McKernan, Jerrett have shown glimpses in the small amount of game time they have had in seniors, they are inconsistent, hopefully they have a chance this year to play more senior football. I think we have been shithouse for 15 years because of disgusting recruitment (up until recently) and we keep players like Dempsey, Kommer, etc for too long.

everyone that plays a game of AFL shows glimpses
Doesn’t mean they’re any good

Surely Edwards is gone too?

Edit: Plus Dempsey and Mckernan will be on the verge.

Plenty of options. It would be downright criminal to hit this draft with only two picks.

All three.

imo, none of the following are certainties to play on for one reason or another. Many of them probably will, but it's not out of the question that they'll either retire, be delisted or ask for a trade. I'm not making predictions on any of them this early in the season, but as I said earlier, I'll be very surprised if we don't have at least 3 picks in the ND:

Gwilt
Cooney
Goddard
Gleeson
Ashby
Ambrose
Kommer
Dempsey
Edwards
Smack

Bolded names are the ones I think are under real scrutiny. Goddard should stay on, and Gleeson is a good young player and nowhere near delsiting material. So, assuming we lose all of those 8, upgrade Tippa and maybe bring in a player via trade, that’s enough for 6 draft picks.

have more interest in Martin. Fills more of a need seeing that Hooker will play forward.

I’d rather wait one or two years to get Kelly from GWS.

imo, none of the following are certainties to play on for one reason or another. Many of them probably will, but it's not out of the question that they'll either retire, be delisted or ask for a trade. I'm not making predictions on any of them this early in the season, but as I said earlier, I'll be very surprised if we don't have at least 3 picks in the ND:

Gwilt
Cooney
Goddard
Gleeson
Ashby
Ambrose
Kommer
Dempsey
Edwards
Smack

Bolded names are the ones I think are under real scrutiny. Goddard should stay on, and Gleeson is a good young player and nowhere near delsiting material. So, assuming we lose all of those 8, upgrade Tippa and maybe bring in a player via trade, that’s enough for 6 draft picks.

Completely agree. I’d certainly hope that more than Gwilt, Kommer and Ashby are looked at. Given our excellent draft hit rate over the past few years together with the age of all/most of the 12 coming back we would be insane to only look at the 3 listed. I would think that Cooney, Ambrose and Dempsey would all need to have a great remainder of the season to not be under threat. I really like Smack but suspect he fits into the same boat.

have more interest in Martin. Fills more of a need seeing that Hooker will play forward.

I’d rather wait one or two years to get Kelly from GWS.

I’d have Martin over almost anyone, but I can’t even imagine what GCs list management people would ask for him.

Throw a truck load of money at Tom Hawkins.