Paul Turk resigns

This all seems a bit unusual, to say the least.

We appear (and it’s only appear, I don’t actually know) to have a lot of underprepared players. The strength and conditioning guy informs us 6 weeks before season opener that he’s leaving because he wants to live on the gold coast. The club don’t want an extra practice match. We move about as well in round 1 as a siezed up lorry.

It’s probably nothing. But it’s been a weird offseason with a few injuries and timeframes and this is just another one.

16 Likes

Maybe the membership department sent out the announcement.

5 Likes

I’m glad we’ve got 70,000 members, and the books are dandy, and we’ve got schmick facilities, and we’ve got Dill’s tick of approval…
Because in football and in actual football related things we suck. Hard…
But it’s ok, cos 70k…

4 Likes

This guy was our fitness coach?

9 Likes

Or maybe we have sought to replace him and no one good enough was available?

1 Like

People actually believe that he told us six weeks ago?? Do you also believe in the tooth fairy?

2 Likes

6 Likes

Just get an aerobics aus style trainer.

1 Like

Shouldn’t I ?

It’s never let me down.

Agreed. Timing is too coincidental.

That being said, do you think it was internal pressure after yesterday? That our players looked that unfit?

Turkey!

No wonder we looked stuffed and cooked in round 1.

I am guessing we won’t be right until thanksgiving.

3 Likes

They’ve sacked him today because they’ve come to the conclusion that the players are badly conditioned for this year and he had to go immediately. And Xav has leant on his mates at AFL house to provide him with a soft landing. Absolutely nothing surer.

And the thing that concerns me the most is that they knew it would be a terrible look doing it today but they decided to do it anyway. That indicates to me that internally they think this is a massive problem.

I’m also now genuinely worried about what happens in the next 4-6 weeks because you can’t turn this stuff around overnight.

17 Likes

Must of been a lot if discussion at the hanger today. I wonder if it may of been player driven? Can’t imagine anyone would volunteer to leave at this stage of the season.

1 Like

“He told us”, does this mean he resigned or simply meant he said he had aspirations?

It would seem he knew he was going, but did EFC?

I think if he announced he got the job just recently, he would be told thanks, you’ve done quite enough (after the round 1 effort).

1 Like

Absolutely agree. Sounds the most logical explanation.

Obviously concerning because there isn’t a quick turnaround - but also because the club didn’t spot this earlier.

Hard to trust any Pauls that go straight into a AFL InsertStateNameHere job.

8 Likes

Saad sealed his fate when he came back from the break so over weight.

4 Likes

I think he imbigens the high performance people culture, cromulently

4 Likes

I listened to a podcast this week and the guest was a data analyst from Essendon. One thing I found interesting was I’m sure he said they’ve reduced the number of football analysts down from 3 to 1.

Our staff page linked in the footer of https://www.essendonfc.com.au is a 404 , so can’t verify 100%, but it did sound strange to reduce those positions and not fill them.

According to Collingwood and Carlton’s Staff listing, they’re rolling with 5 each.

I know there is a total football spend ‘cap’, but I hope we aren’t cutting costs.

2 Likes

I would say we aren’t dumb enough to repeat that mistake, but I really don’t believe it.

2 Likes