Paws, claws, feathers and fins

so good!!

3 Likes

The noisy parent at the pool.

8 Likes

Posted this proud dad on this thread a few times in the past. This is the latest addition to the family that lives in our backyard Gum. Think there’s just the one this time, but not entirely sure. Note that the male tawny sits on the nest most of the time.

10 Likes

Magnificent. You are very lucky.

1 Like

Cats are so graceful, aren’t they?

7 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes

Hi all. Was wondering if anyone knows what type of bird this is. It was getting attacked by magpies and it’s eye was getting pecked it can’t fly and it’s leg looks sore. My 9yo ran out to get it and protect it and when I got home it was in a box in the alfresco. Not sure what to do with it. It looks like a baby.

Blackbird? Female.

It does look like a fledgeling, can’t tell what exactly. Can you get a more side-on photo?

You probably want to try to get it back to where it came from unless its injuries are severe. This is the time of year young birds are learning to fly, having them hang around on the ground isn’t unusual. If it seems to be seeing ok, put it outside where you found it once the magpies are gone. Hopefully its parents will find it or it’ll flutter/fly/bumble away.

If that doesn’t work, of it the bird looks too injured, give your local vet a call. I’d normally recommend a wildlife rescuer, but i can’t tell what it is and many rescuers won’t take introduced birds.

1 Like

Agree it looks like a young blackbird. I would suggest keeping it in a dark ventilated box and contact your vet in the morning for advice. (If you have not already successfully done the above suggested advice)

1 Like

Thankyou. I will take it out in the morning and see if it can fly and get back to its family. Last time I found an injured bird I called the animal rescue and they told me what vet to take it too and it was our vet. Your right regarding introduced birds. They will take all birds that are native. Cheers.

Don’t stress too much if it doesn’t fly right away. It looks very young, and may not be flying well yet. On the ground where you found it is fine, otherwise if you;re worried about cats etc, put it in a tree (or in a box in a tree) near where you found it.

1 Like

Thanks will see how I go in the morning. We had a nest out the back last year and this looks similar and I think it was a black bird. The problem was they kept falling out of the nest and our boy Rocky was trying to play with them but he is too big and rough. We had too block off the backyard until they could fly so Rocky wouldn’t accidentally hurt them. The mum kept swooping Rocky everytime he came outside.

1 Like

Good luck- let us know how you go.

my latest housemate, Madge :slight_smile:

6 Likes

A seasonal twist on a well-known meme.

6 Likes

Just to clarify, “Bridget”, as the local koala watchers call her, is getting on a bit and isn’t at all keen, but “Fergus” on the left doesn’t care.

6 Likes

9 Likes
9 Likes