Personal Anomalies % Foibles

A couple of my mother’s sisters copped the ruler across the knuckles at public schools in the UK for being lefties

1 Like

My son is mixed up. Right hand preference for hand balling a footy, golf, tennis, left hand for writing, kicking a footy, and table tennis.

It’s the tennis versus table tennis preference that I don’t get!

I’m moderately two sided, kicking a footy, used to be able to hit a mate’s left handed golf clubs ok, but all preferences are right. I’m left eye dominant (does that usually go a particular way with handedness?)

As a teenager about 14 (?) I tried writing left handed - found it tough. But I also read that da Vinci wrote notes mirror image, so I tried that with both hands and found it easier with the left!

I had a letter from the doctor saying that no-one was to try to convert me.

I went to St Fintans in Grey St, St Kilda for one year in Grade 3. CBC started at Grade 4 that year, then Grade 5 the next year, so had to find another school. Mother Agatha was the head nun and she tried to convert all of us spawn of the devil. I had the Get Out of Jail Free card.

We were using fountain pens in those days, so I had to get the special nibs (no longer available) since I write “round the back”. I think that’s to avoid smudging the ink before it’s dried enough. Personally, i reckon molly-dookers who write this way write more legibly because you can see what you’ve written. You do see some funny writing actions. I once saw a woman in a bank writing vertically- straight down the page - the page was rotated 90 degrees of course.

The only things I do right-handed are to shoot a rifle (extremely limited in the left eye) and household tools like scissors and corkscrews. All sports left-handed.

Thought fountain pens weren’t available until you were into your late teens?

don’t think it matters which hand you use a chisel with on stone tablets

2 Likes

I don’t know if playing drums for 30+ years has anything to do with it but I occasionally have some ambidexterity here and there on various things.

I cut food with the knife in my left hand and the fork in the right hand. Have my whole life as far I as know. I’ve been told I shoot pool/billiards lefty as well.

I can throw and bat left-handed but not as well… I think if I had played baseball, I would have tried to switch-hit.

I used to and still can write at a more extreme angle, around 145 degree. l changed to writing straight across the page in te middle of a matric exam. To my surprise l got a call from school a couple of days later asking me to come in. When l arrived they asked me to demonstrate both writing styles. Satisfied that l did indeed use both styles they asked me why l chose to change styles so suddenly. I explained that the upside down method was too slow for exams, as l formed each letter two or three times, so that it was more like drawing than writing. l never went back to the upside down style after that, even though l still find it easy enough to write that way. l might get around to posting an example in this thread.

My son is a lefty with everything except golf and kicking a football. He’s always been a right footer but he initially played golf left handed. At about 4 decided that he would swing right handed instead and hasn’t looked back.

1 Like

Mrs P is weird with handedness, too.

About 51% leftie. Writes left, brushes her teeth with her right, kicks right, throws left, tennis left, golfs right. Etc etc.

1 Like