Pick 34 - Who Do We Take?

I assume he’s genetically good at diving too, a key PA trait.

2 Likes

Kyle Chalmers is an absolute truck

2 Likes

Far out, I miss this thread for a couple of days, and I miss the chance to write a 1000 word treatise on how “best available” isn’t a thing, since everyone has different ideas of what is required to make an AFL player, and within that there are about 10 different “types” of players who have different requirements in terms of attributes.

What you might be able to do is group up the players into how likely you think it will be that they will have an AFL career. But any ordering of those then depends on your current list, who else you have drafted, what the coach’s desired game style is, etc etc

2 Likes

Honestly, I don’t know.
Might be that, might be best prospect, might be the recruiters trying to work out who’s going where (to plan for eventualities).
They probably do all of those things.

1 Like

Exactly.
There’s the odd exception.
Take it as it comes.

1 Like

I’m pretty chill about who we take.

1 Like

Yeah same. Shiel helps.

1 Like

Maybe this guy…

18 Likes

Either, or one on each wing. I recon both are best 22 when fit. Hard to fit them in across half back with gleeson, Frances, Irish, and Saad. Will be interesting to see what happens over the pre-season. Might give us a glimps into what the coaches are thinking.

Neither have explosive pace but we have that in spades across other lines.

1 Like

I’d love to see it.

I haven’t.

Do you think it’s in their thinking?

Well that got that right in true Hawthorn fashion. I can’t think of too many players who fit the typical Hawthorn mould better than Smith

I tend to agree we could do with more pace and/ or drive from the wing.
But it’s a funny spot these days.
Weagles have Gaff ( sometimes) and interchange him with Yeo at other times. Never seem to use both at once. Both work up and back in space, with Gaffs running ( but not actual pace) and long kicking vs Yeo’s intercept marking.
Filth use Maynard in a defensive role, and Sidebottom is often the de facto wing, but he’s hardly a classic wide player - more an onballers who finds space.
Melbourne don’t have anyone.
Richmond has one usually in the prick Kamdyn McIntosh, as a tall marking winger, and rotate little guys on the other side.
Dawks have one in Isaac Smith, and the Doggies use Hunter or MacLean, but not on both wings.
Geelong uses spare parts - Duncan or in the past Bliclavs

So I’m a bit more open about who we might use, and how it can be included in our game style- if only Colyer had been 10 cm taller, an overhead mark, and able to hit targets.

1 Like

Fits all the criteria. Fast, athletic ruckman who is creative and plays well in traffic. Maybe not at pick 34 though…

The Answer = Mason Redman👍🏼

2 Likes

I continue to be baffled by these guys suggesting inside mid needs to be our focus

4 Likes

I’d like this Nick Baker at pick 84 https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/player/nicholas-baker/

I’m pretty sure at a certain point it’s “Best available… option that suits our particular list needs”

2 Likes

How many medium defenders do we need?

We appear to have about 7 of this guy already.

Yep. That’s why he’s perfect.

3 Likes