Pick 34 - Who Do We Take?

True. Spoilt for choice at the top. Would love to be recruiting for one of the stragglers. Very good draft to rebuild through at the top end.

I’ll bite. A “mathematical definition” of who is first round and who is second round? Other than what round they are taken in?

In the situation where pick 29 can be a “first round pick” one year, and halfway through the second round in another year, it’s a fair point.

The AFL keep squeezing more and more picks in (FA compo… made up academy picks etc) and every side picking after that point loses.

2 Likes

Ie the first 18 players every year.

Tbh 16 is a fair bit closer to 20 than 1.

What would be interesting is trying to get a handle on the “tiers” that were perceived pre draft historically, how the draft panned out in relation to those tiers, and then how this tiers performed. As an example the Franklin/Tambling draft was seen as having a clear top 5, then that Bulldogs guy from rugby union whose name I forget and who was always injured, and then from 7 it was anyone’s guess. The Hawks took Lewis at 7 which proved a masterstroke, but pre draft it could have been Monfries, or John Meesen, or Chris Egan. There was no consensus amongst draft watchers at all, and the general vibe was that beyond 6 it was weak. Other years have had different, and blurrier lines, but the concept holds ok, so the question is, had there been a clear difference in success rate aligned with these lines, and then where do you draw the lines this year?

1 Like

Cal Twomey on SEN saying X O’Halloran has family on the GC - seems a perfect fit for them at 24 or 29

Was also asked about Jack Bytel - said “30s-40s for me, the Bombers might be a chance”.

2 Likes

Had a quick look through the thread to try get a bit of a compilation of the players being talked about. Tried to order them loosely as a ‘draft board’ & in relation to our draft picks - Let me know any others I can add in before draft day!

Pick 34
Ned McHenry*
Xavier O’Halloran*
Jack Bytel
Ely Smith
Sydney Stack
Bailey Williams*

Pick 66
Hayden Sampson
Marlion Pickett
Matthew Parker
Nick Hind
Tom Sparrow
James Rowbottom

Pick 84 (+ pick xx?) / Rookie pick
Jack Ross
Mitch Podhajski
Ben Cavara
Tom Lewis
Daniel Hanna

*Likely n/a & personally not a big wrap for bailey williams
Also hoping a couple of the mature agers I’ve got at 66 might still be available with our later picks

Ill be very surprised if we pick up another mature-age player.

1 Like

I don’t think Ely Smith will be available at 34. I think the perfect outcome would be:
34 - Smith
66 - Hind
84 - Podhajski

Actually, i’d almost take Podhajski at 66. I think he’s really underrated. And he’s an Essendon supporter.

1 Like

deserves more than a like

I just read every one of those profiles with the addendum “…but if Dodoro picks them, they’re ■■■■ and he’s an idiot”

Yeah very much a guessing game until the name is read out at the pick - however I do think out of the players that’ve been mentioned around pick 34, McHenry and O’Halloran are pretty certain to be off the board. Wouldn’t be surprised if Smith or Williams are available but also wouldn’t be surprised if they are gone.

1 Like

This thread is going to be crazy fun on Thursday night after 20 players are removed from the pool.

4 Likes

Oh I don’t know. Unless one of those players is someone we thought would be there at 34… then it won’t matter.

For the first time in a long time, I’ll be taking no interest in draft night. I’ll wait until draft day.

2 Likes

Irving Mosquito!!
Ripper name!

2 Likes

With Travis Coyler leaving, it is vital for Dodoro to replace him by drafting a player whose surname can be chronically misspelt.

7 Likes

Thankfully there’s another Matty Llyod available in this draft.

To be determined if they are available but I would love a draft haul of something like:

Pick 34 - Jack Bytel
Pick 66 - Hayden Sampson
Pick 84 - Nick Hind
Pick 100* - Mitch Podhajski
Rookie 1st round - Ben Cavara

Rookie - Zac Clarke
CatB Rook - Jordan Morrissey

• Get the classy contested midfielder in Bytel. Just need to sort back injury out, which is significant and does require further rehab/possible surgery. At full flight he has shown signs of being able to develop into an A-grade mid.

• Sampson & Cavara fill the gaps in our sml forward depth with both able to play stints in the mid.

• Hind adds to the rebounding defender/wing depth & with Morrissey a potential speculative free hit.

• Podhajski is an interesting one, 192cm KPD turned MID this year after not getting drafted in 2017 - close mates & co-captains of the Cannons with Bytel. Also had a great game for Coburg in the VFL against Essendon. Hopefully gets overlooked until one of our later selections ala Guelfi. Rated as a ‘Smokey’ on the AFL draft machine with Nick Hind but both may be gone by our picks.

• Zac Clarke the ruck depth selection.

1 Like

We are speaking to Jordan Sweet and interested in him. Ruckmen from SA. Must admit i know very little about him.

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/tag/jordan-sweet/

3 Likes

Got my nickname sorted for him already just in case he ends up in the sash. The obvious folk will go with “Mozzie” I s’pose,… but it’ll be Loco from moi, …

1 Like

Dont mind him, has some go about him aswell

1 Like