Pick 34 - Who Do We Take?

Bytel looks like he’s about 27 with 10 pre-season behind him.

He would want to be dominating some of his match-stick contemporaries in the U18 comps. I haven’t been following the prospects closely - is he one of these Luke Tapscott type - gorilla-childs? Or is he a chance to genuinely transition into a capable bull midfielder?

That’s one thing we can be sure of. You won’t go with the obvious nickname

2 Likes

Are you sure you didn’t read my post suggesting that from a couple of weeks back? I thought he looked decent, still young, SANFL experience, including going head to head with Baulderstone in the GF.

In all honesty no. Just relaying conversation today so sorry if i missed that post mate

1 Like

I hadn’t suggested we were interested, so it’s good to hear. I was just happy to hear something that suggested I wasn’t completely insane :slight_smile:

I have no idea, looks the goods in that 3 minute clip, by far a class above any of the names mentioned likely available at 34. Nice low handballs and centre of gravity to boot. Reminds me of Matt Priddis. Seems like a Hawk prospect, they love the injured bargain bin player

Just reread my post. I didn’t mean “suggesting we were interested”, meant “suggesting him as an option in our search for a ruck”!

1 Like

Well, what can I say?

Boring sucks.

And Iggy is anything but .

1 Like

Get a small forward and winger first dudoro. Project the ■■■■ out of your talls with the rookie draft.

3 Likes

Ely Smith and o’Hallloran sound great, probably too good to be there at our pick.

34 Smith/o’Hallaron or Cameron or Mosquito or Stack
66 Mitch Grigg/ Rowbottom/ Riley Bowman
84 Neagle/Hanna

Measured in at 189cm, 80kg at the combine so not a gorilla-child. SPP was 91kg (now 96kg) in his draft year so Bytel still has plenty of strength development to go. Does look having the potential to become a bull - definitely competitive enough.

Back injury is definitely the concern but it is also the reason he is potentially going to be available at pick 34. In his first year of 18s he was dominating for calder and was named in the best 8/10 games. He was Vic Metro’s u16 MVP, BOG at the All Star game & an AFL academy member.

The thing I like about him is he just looks like a natural footballer, was a bit prone to ‘bang it on the boot’ out of a stoppage last year but he is actually a good kick, left or right foot.

3 Likes

I’ve gone down the wormhole thanks to this, and this song exemplifies the rationale,. …

so South Australians, thoughts on Boyd Woodcock, an 18yo who kicked 3 as a small forward in the SANFL GF (and 3 in the last Q of the prelim that they won by 5 points)

(from http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/25306097/afl-draft-underrated-bargains-2018-draft)

Boyd Woodcock
Position:
General forward/inside midfield
Expected draft range: 30-late
Why he can make it: A pesky, opportunistic forward. Woodcock kicked eight goals in the SANFL League finals for North Adelaide in their premiership run with all eight coming in his final three games. The 174cm forward has the capability to push up through the midfield, with a season-high 43 disposals, 24 contested possessions and 18 clearances in round three of the SANFL Under-18s.

2 Likes

We can pretty much rule out getting involved in the live trading on draft night/day - we cannot trade any future selections as we do not possess a 2019 first round draft pick.

1 Like

But don’t we have 2 x 2018 2nds and 2 x 2018 4ths?

2 Likes

TD1 and others, any thoughts on the following players? Think they all offer bargain value on the outside. Likely to be back end selections.

Daly Andrews
Justin McInerny
Sam Graham
Lachlan McDonnel

McDonell my favourite of those with his ability to hit the scoreboard and consistency, wouldn’t mind him as a later selection.

So for those who would know. What potential does Smith or Bytel have that Clarke or Mutch don’t.

That we do. I too had assumed that we would be able to trade the surplus picks in the 2nd and 4th round, as we would still hold a 2nd, 3rd and 4th round pick in 2019.

Potentially may in-fact still be the case and the journo has jumped the gun - Matt Balmer’s reputation on the line.

Foxfooty.com.au can reveal Collingwood and Essendon, who both currently don’t hold first-round picks for the 2019 draft, will not be permitted to trade any future selections at this week’s draft, unless they receive a 2019 first-rounder back from a rival club.”

1 Like

Yep… looks good by foot, nice mover. I think he’s a solid type too. Grown in my appreciation through his form at the back end of the season. He’s the one I’d consider.

Thoughts on the others? Any love for Jai Taylor or an Alistair Richards?