Pick 48

WTF, could someone supply the english version of the last few posts.

Expect Vickery was pick 8 in the 2008 draft - Not the best example to support your assertion.

I want a bonafide nut case that has to be wheeled out like the cannibal in conair.

2 Likes

Posted a while ago be wary of paying too much for the tall well developed gun tall forwards in the under 18’s - Boyd, McCartin, to a lesser extent Patton are finding it difficult at AFL level - I suspect this group of players will soon go the way of elite junior rucks - Maybe not to the same extent bus suspect a Boyd type would now be selected in the bottom reaches of the top 10.

That is my point.

Even the Big guys picked high in the draft turn out to be duds.

You have a far higher strike rate picking small guys because there are far more of them.

Leave the risk of drafting and developing to somebody else.

They can hardly be classed as duds yet.

Talls are not really meant to hit their straps until 25.

Boyd is what 4yrs into his career only, so 22yrs old and whilst been inconsistent also has had some standout games. Tracking well despite off field woes.

McCartin has been dominant at VFL level, is blitzing preseason running already apparently and primed for opportunity he hasn’t been afforded with Riewoldt hanging on. Concussions not ideal.

They’ve gone from being dominant as juniors as bigger than most, to now being up against elite athlete men who are fitter & stronger. It takes time for them to physically mature to point they can actually compete and beat them. Also way more space in juniors to work in. AFL sees an extra constantly in their way, 3rd man in etc.

Have a think about how Hooker was perceived by many as a 22yr old? Most of blitz wanted him traded, the club even were considering it. Ends up AA defender and vitally important player in club.

Vickery however is a proven dud. So was Gumby for different reasons. It happens. All picks are a risk.

Chances of us getting someone good at 48 significantly less than our next years 1st however.

Gary buckenera’s top 50 up on herald son. Has Hayden Schloithe @ 48. 24 yo midfielder dominated the wafl this year but seems like he’d be a depth player for us, not sure he’d be what we need.

Has worpel @ 30. Didn’t see any of the other names mentioned here

Maybe you prefer quarterback!
Personally I’m tired of others (television persons) taking my game away from me!
I’m sick of Defs, Mids and four wheel drives (FWDs)!
So John Coleman was never the greatest Full-Forward ever. He was just a tall forward. FFS

1 Like

I think its more just about positioning.

If you attend games live you will probably notice that basically all the players are within 100 metres of the ball no matter what end the footy is down.

All the forwards work up and down the ground all game.

From what ive heard we will take best available at 48. From what I understand Kyron Hayden is our main target but I’m not sure if that’s factoring in potential sliders aswell. Plenty of clubs will commit to players before the draft. Port Adelaide did it to Battle last year and we also said we would take Cedric Cox with our Ridley pick last year, obviously we rated Ridley higher and didn’t expect him to be available

7 Likes

Surely west coast will take hayden with one of their picks in tbe 30s??.

1 Like

Shaun Atley
Rory Lobb

2 Likes

Will be tough for them to pass on Starcevich if he is available at their pick. They have been linked to heaps of players, you also have Freo with pick 41 who could pip us for him

Kelly and Garlett presumably two of Eagles picks

They have also been linked to Ryan, Stoddart, Banfield and Miers

1 Like

Another step closer to enlightenment, grasshopper :slight_smile:

We were lucky to get him at 48.

3 Likes

48 is raw, but we think he’s got plenty of development left in him.

I’m a fast learner

1 Like

Fairly surprised that a KPF seems to be the consensus KP priority. Would have thought our KPD needs are far greater.
We’ve got 3 (good-to-high) quality KPF in the best 22. With good options aplenty in the small-medium fwd roles, there’s no requirement to play a 3 tall fwd line should injury strike. However, we’ve got some reasonable cover in Bellchambers and McKernan (as well as Brown) if required.
In defense, we’ve got 1 quality tall and his best role is as a rebounding defender. There’s 1 player to cover injuries, before we have to rob the forward line.
We’re not going to draft a kid to cover huge forwards from year 1, but I’d definitely go a KPD over a KPF. Given defenders are often underrated and (it’s said) playing defence is easier than FWD, I’d say our chance at converting the later pick are better as well.

2 Likes