Player heat maps - use these for arguments

Some interest in another thread, so I’m gonna upload the player heat maps from the AFL live app.

4 Likes

Regular mids

!

5 Likes

I still shake my head when I see people say Colyer plays midfield or half forward.

Those two bits of grass along the edges? That position has a name.

3 Likes

Excellent. Something of real interest on here after a week of zip.

Well done mate.

2 Likes

Only 2 work, would another image host work?

Fixed now. Just tried to format it and it messed up

3 Likes

These heat maps prove that glasses should be stored in the cupboard upside down, and that pegs should be left on the clothesline.

Langfords map just makes me sad

2 Likes

Regular forwards

2 Likes

Merrett spends far too much time behind the ball. We need to utilising him forward of centre.

2 Likes

Heat maps vindicate my year long complaint about the use of Merrett - Why I thought his 2016 season was better.

2 Likes

Fantastic work @Fella

I agree with the comments on Merrett

2 Likes

Regular backs, boring as expected. Except hurls and the rate at which McKenna takes it through the guts. Pretty awesome

1 Like

Best thing about the app in my opinion.
I can’t see Merrett playing that role which was obviously by design in the long term. You only have to look at the Freo game to be reminded of how deadly he can be around the goals.

Bonus round: Smith, Saad, Stringer

2 Likes

Yeah I think he will move up with more support.
This is Dustys heat map for comparison to say, Zach.

2 Likes

@Fella

Can you filter to look at possession count for the entire team (not players)?

I’d hazard a guess based on our play in 2017 that approx 60% of our possessions were defensive half… Therefore even though player may be 55/45 defensive they may have been attacking relative to our gameplan / ball movement across the year…

Awesome job by the way

1 Like

You can, but only for individual games as far as I can tell. You may be correct though just looking at a few of them

1 Like

Dusty is devastating 1v1 in the forwardline, don’t know if zerrett has the height to do that (definitely has the mongrel)

Sets up alot of the play from the HB line, it’s why you see him alot switching the ball from HBF to the midfield and opening up the space