Players who missed out of the AFL Draft

Richard Lounder, ruckman taken at number one of the 1987 Draft. Played 4 games.

Richard Lounder, ruckman taken at number one of the 1987 Draft. Played 4 games.

Lol.

That's right.

Let's not draft "Son of Human Tree".

Personally I think the club should have made a call on Steinberg, list him or cut him, he's been round long enough to make a decision, what's currently happening isn't in his interests. I assume Aylett is on the list because he's on a contract and they don't want to pay him out, he's been in the system long enough for a call to be made other than that. If they warrant a place, senior list them, I've no problem with that. Then make hard calls on some of those treading water on the main list. It's in their interests and the club's.

Why is it important to encourage 18 year olds to continue? As I said they are often still kids and some will be guns if they continue but they need to be encouraged to keep at it. Kids need incentives. Local leagues struggle to fill lists and the more carrots you can offer to players the better off they are. I believe playing sport is an end in itself and anything that encourages a young person to stay playing is good, never mind the level. It's a genuine social problem that local leagues and country clubs struggle to produce teams.
One potential problem with expanding lists is that there is no guarantee clubs, notoriously conservative, won't just keep doing what they are now, storehousing fringe players rather than unearthing new talent. And there's the cost issue which a fixed rookie cap addresses. However if the expanded lists produced the same sort of outcome as a restricted rookie list, it's got my vote, anything's better than having to decide whether to forego a ruck or not because we only have one live rookie pick.

Sorry, but I think your post is just full of holes.
1. How do you know the club hasn't made a call on Steinberg, Aylett, but has the slight problem they have 42 blokes they want on the senior list but only 40 spots? Steinberg would much prefer to be a rookie with the prospect of promotion than being cut. Aylett the same.
2. Wouldn't the fact the clubs are willing to stick with kids for a few years trying to develop them, rather than cutting them after 2 years actually encourage kids? I mean, if you're line ball football but could try soccer or cricket, and new the footy clubs cut you after two years maybe you go for another sport.
3. You really think a handful of extra AFL spots are going to make a difference to local leagues??? You're trying to fix a problem with a screw via using a hammer.

Some screws need a'hammering man - what have you got against hammers??

Look Ants, we disagree....again. That's fine. I'm not going to change your mind and vice versa. Have a nice evening.

Did the Wilson Aceman and benfti raved about get drafted?

No.
No Norwood guys this year so far.
Still think atleast 2 of Baulderstone, Bampton, Wilson or Panos will get rookie drafted.
Id be more than happy if they didnt of course unless its to us

Darcy Cameron missed again. If we are set on a ruckman, worth a look? Not yet 20 years old.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-28/still-in-with-a-chance

CLUBS are already thinking about next week's NAB AFL Pre-Season and Rookie drafts, assessing the talent that wasn't selected at Thursday night's national intake. Here are 10 names who might be considered.
Peter Bampton (182cm, 83kg, midfielder): A ball-winner who has really solid frame, which means he could step into a club and play a role. Bampton averaged 19 touches in seven senior SANFL games for Norwood this year, having missed the under-18 championships with an ankle injury.
Daniel Capiron (189cm, 81kg, defender): Was overlooked after an inconsistent season where he struggled to find any continuity. But he has shown signs across two seasons of his ability to read the ball in the air, be a good intercept marker across half-back and offer rebound.
Will Fordham (188cm, 78kg, midfielder): Came on towards the end of the season, and a handful of clubs had interest in him late. Fordham played 20 games for the Sandringham Dragons in the TAC Cup and averaged 20 disposals. He carries strong athleticism, a bit of speed and is a nice size for clubs looking for midfield height.
Matt Hammelmann (197cm, 88kg, forward): He can join the Brisbane Lions under the pre-selection rookie rule as a member of their academy. Other clubs might take a look if they don't, as Hammelmann has shown signs he can be used at either end of the ground with success. Mainly it's as a forward, though, where he presents on the lead and kicks well.
Nick Jackson (195cm, 86kg, defender): Jackson is a tall defender who can shut down players, and tends to read the play well in the air. He played just one game at the mid-year carnival for Queensland through injury, but could be an option for a club looking for another young developing tall back.
Tyler Keitel (194cm, 86kg, forward/defender): Spent the season pushing back and forward, and showing he could play a role at either end. His athleticism is what might hold him back, but given his versatility a club might see something to work with.
Oleg Markov (186cm, 69kg, forward): Having broken his collarbone twice this year, Markov's limited exposure would have contributed to him not being drafted. A club might be better placed to take him on as a rookie, given his speed and athletic ability in the forward line and midfield

Rowan Marshall (198cm, 87kg, ruckman): Marshall has played as a ruckman, but at his height clubs see him more as a tall forward at the next level who can also shift into defence. He was overlooked at last year's draft and returned to play some strong footy for Vic Country and the North Ballarat Rebels.

Braydon Preuss (205cm, 102kg, ruckman): The rookie draft is where recruiters will take more of a look at ruckmen, with Preuss on the radar of several clubs. The towering Quuenslander doesn't collect heaps of the ball but can present and offer a contest in the air, and has got some skill when competing at ball-ups.
Francis Watson (186cm, 76kg, defender): An agile, mobile defender who loves to run with the ball tucked under his arm. He has a great natural leap and is an instinctive player who improved immensely this season and has plenty of upside. Watson played four games for Western Australia at the national championships as an over-aged player.

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of the AFL or its clubs

More By Callum Twomey

Old shane yarren is proof clubs just dont want to take risks anymore. Not that i believe he is a risk, but if he hadn’t been to jail he would of been drafted no doubt imo

Personally I think the club should have made a call on Steinberg, list him or cut him, he's been round long enough to make a decision, what's currently happening isn't in his interests. I assume Aylett is on the list because he's on a contract and they don't want to pay him out, he's been in the system long enough for a call to be made other than that. If they warrant a place, senior list them, I've no problem with that. Then make hard calls on some of those treading water on the main list. It's in their interests and the club's.

Why is it important to encourage 18 year olds to continue? As I said they are often still kids and some will be guns if they continue but they need to be encouraged to keep at it. Kids need incentives. Local leagues struggle to fill lists and the more carrots you can offer to players the better off they are. I believe playing sport is an end in itself and anything that encourages a young person to stay playing is good, never mind the level. It's a genuine social problem that local leagues and country clubs struggle to produce teams.

One potential problem with expanding lists is that there is no guarantee clubs, notoriously conservative, won't just keep doing what they are now, storehousing fringe players rather than unearthing new talent. And there's the cost issue which a fixed rookie cap addresses. However if the expanded lists produced the same sort of outcome as a restricted rookie list, it's got my vote, anything's better than having to decide whether to forego a ruck or not because we only have one live rookie pick.

We can guess that if Steinberg was offered a primary list spot at another club he would have accepted the offer.

Old shane yarren is proof clubs just dont want to take risks anymore. Not that i believe he is a risk, but if he hadn't been to jail he would of been drafted no doubt imo

Not sure how he is travelling on the football field but it seems to me there are crimes and there are crimes... Not everyone is happy about a "second chance" in every situation. I am not weighing in for or against re.Yarran here just commenting on the "risk" you mention. And agree with you on that.

https://www.change.org/p/subiaco-football-club-cancel-shane-yarran-s-lucrative-contract

That's pretty fkd

It didn't happen to you though. 

It looks like Yarran is doing good things and moving his life forward. The focus on the individual after something like you just wouldn't want starting an AFL career late.

And for the club, I wouldn't imagine its a fear of recidivism but rather managing the attention that conservative groups will inevitably bring to the club because of his presence.  The fallout just not worth the risk for the club for what return?

all the more reason why we should do it. not cos he robbed someone, but to ■■■■ of conservatives.

all the more reason why we should do it. not cos he robbed someone, but to ■■■■ of conservatives.

I doubt the club wants to ■■■■ itself off.

Why would you pick Yarren when you can pick a better player with a much better highlight reel like Shannon Taylor? There are few players I have ever seen with so much talent. I really hope he improves his tank because I would love to see him play AFL.

We can guess that if Steinberg was offered a primary list spot at another club he would have accepted the offer.

Actually watching the draft in the below link, I found it interesting that it was declared before the draft that players who had accepted to stay at clubs as 2nd and 3rd year rookies could not be drafted (~34th minute). I'd vaguely thought that Steinberg as a 3rd year rookie needed to be drafted again.
So to be fair on him, even if he'd fielded interest would you want to leave a secure rookie spot on a maybe that another club would draft you?

http://youtu.be/f92nYTuATOw?t=59m49s

Actually watching the draft in the below link, I found it interesting that it was declared before the draft that players who had accepted to stay at clubs as 2nd and 3rd year rookies could not be drafted (~34th minute). I'd vaguely thought that Steinberg as a 3rd year rookie needed to be drafted again.
So to be fair on him, even if he'd fielded interest would you want to leave a secure rookie spot on a maybe that another club would draft you?

What a strange statement. Decline a spot on a primary list with a guaranteed 2 year contract at a higher wage to stay on a rookie list for one year. 

Will Fordham should get picked up. Played against men this passed season when at Hampton…is very creative, runs and carries, good height for a midfielder

What a strange statement. Decline a spot on a primary list with a guaranteed 2 year contract at a higher wage to stay on a rookie list for one year.
I was assuming he'd be "guaranteed" a spot similar to how other draftees are - i.e. its we'll take you unless someone we really like more is on the board. Otherwise they would just do a cheap trade like Jenkins. I wasn't really arguing that's been given an offer, more saying it doesn't rule out clubs showing certain levels of interest.