“Please Ban Me” - the Review Thread vs Sydney

Does that explain why they won 26 contested marks to 8, a margin of 18 ? I dont think so.

1 Like

No it doesn’t explain that stat, but losing contested marking doesn’t explain losing in general.

1 Like

Good effort to make the finals considering where we have come from in the past couple of years. We were always up against it going up against the Swans who played off in the granny last year and have a hardened team who have played together for some time. The second quarter showed their class and ■■■■ and we just couldn’t get near the ball. They are my pick for the premiers and should coast through the remaining finals games to make the granny.

We have done the right thing this year and closed out the saga chapter and made the club a stronger place and will be better for it in the long run. I am proud of what we have been able to achieve on and off the field this year. I am proud of the good wins we had and the growth of our players. Getting three of the boys in to the AA, getting the rising star award and a number of mark and goal of the year nominations is exciting stuff.

Go Bombers.

2 Likes

“We lost because their midfield could walk around ours without having to worry about any pressure”. of itself does not explain losing in general . We only lost clearances overall by 6. ( but in the second quarter we lost most clearances which is when the damage was done )

My assertion is that when Sydney won a clearance and kicked it inside 50, we lost contested marking duels far more frequently. When we kicked the ball forward they marked the ball ( intercepts ) more often than us.

Sydneys aerial supremacy meant instead of halving marking contests we lost possession, our small forwards never got into the game from contested situations.

Its never one thing, but no, I still maintain Sydneys dominance of the air enabled them to gain the lead and maintain it.

Averaged over the year Sydney were second in the comp for contested marks, we were 6th.

They were brilliant in the air . Lets face it.

3 Likes

I think you are spot on. Our defense has been our weakness all year. It has basically been, with the exception of Hurley and McGrath, the same personnel as played in the wooden spoon team of the previous year.
If McGrath moves to the midfield next year there will be even more leakage.
Bags is 30 and cannot be expected to improve. Hartley is soft and too easily brushed aside. Ambrose is a trier but no world beater. Mc Kenna is a good fast running player but not the type to close down good forwards. He is probably more suited to play on the wing.I cannot see anyone in the reserves to fill the gaps Maybe Ridley but he will take time to develop.
We need to seriously chase some uncontracted A grade defenders if we are to be contenders in the short term.

We lost because the majoiry of our list and our coaches crumble on game day when the pressure is applied

To beat essendon all you have to do if apply pressure and clog up the middle

Doesnt help that too many players look for the easy sideways kick and arent prepared to work hard enough off the ball to create options for the kicker

5 Likes

Our midfield was unable to place enough pressure to limit the Sydney midfield and we were grossly undersized in the back line. There is no way that Hooker should ever have been moved forward - especially after the departure of Carlol. Club needs to recruit a gun forward to take Hooker’s place and let him return to the backline.

What free kick would you have paid?

1 Like

Made plans months ago. Fortunately weather’s looking damn fine at Whitsunday Island. New speargun, new motor, new trolling rig, just gotta tow the boat up now.

2 Likes

Thought as such. It is so deflating when you have worked so hard. For them to get 2 soft frees that result in goals. After that we looked so confused and tentative at the center bounce as we didn’t want to give away another one. The umpiring in tonights game is shocking as well.

Pieces of fkn ■■■■

3 Likes

We broke Sydney.

6 Likes

That last Begley goal ruined them

2 Likes

Sinclair = Steven Jurica

Mmm control possession & attack at every opportunity. Thats why we nearly beat them the 1st time. Don’t understand why we didn’t use that philosophy last week ?

fml

Well we did knock Sydney out of the finals , after all . By playing with zero pressure , in our Elimination final . Sydney believed the hype that they are invincible. Sydney next came up against an opponent playing finals footy and were so shell shocked that they lost their sh**t . Geelong owe us big time .

11 Likes

Sucked in Sydney.

Gee I reckon we could fit Dangerfield into our midfield mix…

Sydney got owned by a Cats team that did everything right. Seems like they were better prepared than we were and absolutely didn’t let Sydney dominate the game style.

Still reckon they will get stomped by Adelaide.

Hmmm

Looks like geelong went in with a clear plan on how to beat sydney. Also used a player as a tagger which also worked… nah would never work at essendon right woosha

9 Likes