Political Correctness

I never said University would disappear, or that scientific research isn’t important.

But as for your standard Commerce / Business / Arts degrees are concerned… That information is all available for free now.

Everything I learnt from my bullsh*t degree could be easily learnt online now at absolutely no cost.

2 Likes

I doubt that very much.

What degree are we talking about ?

It’s a fact* Bacchus.

A marketing degree fwiw.

*May not be a fact.

The part that may not be fact is the ‘free’ part. You might have to pay for some of it, but you wouldn’t have to go into debt for it.

Now that is a much more interesting discussion.

I would argue that when it was deemed important that University education should be available to all and seemingly overnight we went from a small number of Universities to dozens, the standards dropped.

And it makes sense, as not everyone had the intellectual capacity to study and achieve at the highest levels.

It was further degraded by the forcing of all high school students to aspire to higher education and closing of Technical Institutes ( or rather mashing them Universities)

2 Likes

When I started University, a very long time ago, there were no such degrees. It was sort of part of the Bacholer of Commerce degree but not " marketing" as we know it now.

My first marketing studies were when I did a MBA at Monash in the early 1980’s and our Lecturer was Robin Shaw, one of the authors of bible textbook Australian Marketing Management. A bigger wanker I am yet to meet, so perhaps I may concede to your assertion on this topic.

1 Like

Technically it was still a bachelor of Commerce, with a Marketing and e-commerce major.

It’s fair to say that e-commerce in 1999 was quite a different beast to what it is now.

Bet you had the same textbook; probably a later revision by Kotler, Shaw and Fitzroy. Kotler is a Yank, and the other two took his book Marketing Management and Australianised it. I still remember Robin Shaw selling us copies from the front of the lecture room, with a warning that if you didn’t buy a copy then you would fail. Wonder if Academics still do crap like that.

Geez, you got a better memory than me. Farked if I remember who wrote the textbooks, although Kotler does sound right.

Edit: I just Googled and yes, you are correct. That was the one.

is the e for easy?

1 Like

“PC gone mad” is the easiest clickbait that ever baited. Boomers love that ■■■■. Second is “OH&S gone mad”.

2 Likes

Quite.
Picked up a day old Hun at a coffee shop and had a browse.
Two cartoons on onions, an opinion piece and half a page of ‘letters’ about it.

At that point, the coverage becomes stupider than the topic.
And the story was pretty…pretty stupid.

Finding a new / better / different way to monetize news and journalism, would do the world a lot of good.

2 Likes

So would shooting about 99.9999% of journalists. the 10 left alive would get the hint.

3 Likes

That is also an option that I support.

I know this is hardly about PC, but I thought I’d add to the education tangent. And by god, do some of you need a break from this thread :slight_smile:

University, especially for mature-aged students, may not always be the most efficient way to learn new skills. Lots of good, free programs online, even run by the likes of Harvard and MIT. For example: https://www.edx.org/ These resources are great for home study.

They won’t eradicate universities (a lot of the content comes from them, after all), but are very, very good resources, available to anyone (unless you are from a US-sanctioned nation).

Also, TAFE has come a long, long way. My 2 year software development programme is insanely dense, and much better for a mid-30s career change than starting off with Comp Sci or other IT undergraduate degree. The variety of good tertiary education options available to Australians is pretty mind boggling.

1 Like

That’s only certain industries though. I think saying to most, particularly young people that university isn’t required in 2018 is a bit miss leading.

Of course there are degrees out there that aren’t worth the paper they are printed on but I will say if you want to get a job in a professional industry and get paid accordingly, your going to need at least your bachelors

3 Likes

I can’t believe how many people have drank the cool-aid on Universities

All this commentary on what is supposedly going on in unis is so off it’s embarrassing.

1 persons experience at a particular university at some past period of time does not reflect anything other than just that

4 Likes

Speaking of drinking the Kool-Aid, but otherwise wildly off-topic, I just discovered that on YouTube you can listen to the tape of Jim Jones’ final talk to his followers before they all did exactly that.

2 Likes

Yep. Most of the ridiculous crap that the media like to focus on come from small student organisations trying to one-up each other politically to which 99% of students and staff pay zero attention and certainly has nothing to do with the University’s administration.

1 Like

Did it have a good punchline?